GDT: Game 3: Carolina @ Winnipeg, 7pm

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I think (hope?) they'll look better agains Edmonton. Big strong teams like the jets that make you push them around to get into position have given the canes fits since forever. Canes aren't rough and tumble enough (or not consistent enough with it) to counter it but a team like the oilers that are built more around speed and skill they can hang with better since if they can successfully play keep away which they've shown they can do they can frustrate some skill players. The jets will let you play keep away and then dare you to come into the slot.

Skiffer55

Logan Stanley's Cup
Jun 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think (hope?) they'll look better agains Edmonton. Big strong teams like the jets that make you push them around to get into position have given the canes fits since forever. Canes aren't rough and tumble enough (or not consistent enough with it) to counter it but a team like the oilers that are built more around speed and skill they can hang with better since if they can successfully play keep away which they've shown they can do they can frustrate some skill players. The jets will let you play keep away and then dare you to come into the slot.

Jets haven't been a big/rough team in a year and a bit. Much more a speed/skill team. Lowry is really the only guy left and he was out. Our defensive system has been awful too, shoulda been a game you guys broke out. We got lucky our goalie was great.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Jets haven't been a big/rough team in a year and a bit. Much more a speed/skill team. Lowry is really the only guy left and he was out. Our defensive system has been awful too, shoulda been a game you guys broke out. We got lucky our goalie was great.

Only so many times that we run into a lucky “hot goalie” and it’s just our forwards suck.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I'm not sure why anyone's surprised. While much of the talk in the off-season was about improving our goaltending, there was also a strong contingent that said "Unless Fleury/Darling/whoever is going to score goals for us, getting a better goaltender won't fix the biggest issue"

I mean, now we're losing 2-1 instead of 5-1, so there's that, but much of those 5-1 games were in the same mold as tonight's. A close game where our offense founders and their offense finds a way to win.

The past two games have kind of shown the biggest issue on the team. Our offense dies in the zone because the forwards cannot find a clean lane if their life depended on it. Too often, any chance created is immediately snuffed out because the shot goes straight into the padding of an opposing defenseman.

Also, I'm not sure when they added the "blind pass to no one" and the "drop pass to no one" to the offensive scheme, but it's one that needs to be removed sooner than later.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I'm not sure why anyone's surprised. While much of the talk in the off-season was about improving our goaltending, there was also a strong contingent that said "Unless Fleury/Darling/whoever is going to score goals for us, getting a better goaltender won't fix the biggest issue"

I mean, now we're losing 2-1 instead of 5-1, so there's that, but much of those 5-1 games were in the same mold as tonight's. A close game where our offense founders and their offense finds a way to win.

The past two games have kind of shown the biggest issue on the team. Our offense dies in the zone because the forwards cannot find a clean lane if their life depended on it. Too often, any chance created is immediately snuffed out because the shot goes straight into the padding of an opposing defenseman.

Also, I'm not sure when they added the "blind pass to no one" and the "drop pass to no one" to the offensive scheme, but it's one that needs to be removed sooner than later.

I wonder if we have too many small skilled forwards, and not enough sandpaper forwards.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I wonder if we have too many small skilled forwards, and not enough sandpaper forwards.

When did we get the skilled forwards? All I saw tonight was hack and slap from the whole lot of them. The whole team’s passes were constantly in the receiving players feet...even when they weren’t moving or under duress.

I’m also getting pretty tired of watching Peters handcuff Aho by constantly making him play with Captain Stonehands McNotatTheNettyface. Why not try him with Skinner? I don’t think they’ve ever been on the ice together except when the goalie is pulled.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
When did we get the skilled forwards? All I saw tonight was hack and slap from the whole lot of them. The whole team’s passes were constantly in the receiving players feet...even when they weren’t moving or under duress.

I’m also getting pretty tired of watching Peters handcuff Aho by constantly making him play with Captain Stonehands McNotatTheNettyface. Why not try him with Skinner? I don’t think they’ve ever been on the ice together except when the goalie is pulled.

When you look around the wings, whose the grit other than McGinn? Lindholm is getting there maybe.

TT, Skinner, Aho, Williams, Kuokkanen?

Gauthier is the type of player that needs to be in the top 9 to stir stuff up against people like Buff.

Buff crushed Kuokkanen on the boards and the best we had to throw at him was a weak slash from Faulk. Aho threw a check at him.

We need a douchebag, a Hartnell, a Lucic.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

Well, no, actually. There's a pretty big difference between those two things! Every 2-1 game you lose is a much higher chance of getting 1 point instead of 0 points, and with a good goalie, every game we get into the SO gives us a much better chance of getting 2 points instead of 1 point. The difference is significant.

That said: we're stockpiling on defense, and at some point we'll probably need to turn it into some offense, unless we see something very different in the next 8-10 games.

6 points every 5 games. We need 3 points in the next 2 to get there.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
What we lack is a guy like prime Eric Staal, a guy who, one goal deficit? Follow me boys. Too many "good" players who are adept at playing the system, but not one who can flat out dominate the competition.

And I don't know if we can get one such player without giving up a lot more than a lone defensman.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
What we lack is a guy like prime Eric Staal, a guy who, one goal deficit? Follow me boys. Too many "good" players who are adept at playing the system, but not one who can flat out dominate the competition.

And I don't know if we can get one such player without giving up a lot more than a lone defensman.

Pre Edler kneeing Eric would be great to have

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC

Greatest unanswered questions of our time:
1. Why does the universe exist as something rather than nothing?
2. Does free will exist?
3. What is dark matter?
4. How did life begin in the universe?
5. Why doesn't Jordan Staal go in front of the net?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad