GDT: Game 3: Carolina @ Winnipeg, 7pm

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
We're the Georgia Tech of the NHL.

System oriented to grind out games, but if we get into a deficit we don't have the top end talent to consistently win while playing from behind.

Of course that's why having a decent goaltender is so important, because Wardo letting in a softie for a 1 goal deficit in the first gunks us up.

I wonder though, if !) Bill Peters, when faced with a deficit, tells his players to play differently or just doubles down on the system and says "Play harder", and 2) If not changing to a hypothetical "desperation offense" is the norm in the NHL.

Last edited:

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Well, no, actually. There's a pretty big difference between those two things! Every 2-1 game you lose is a much higher chance of getting 1 point instead of 0 points, and with a good goalie, every game we get into the SO gives us a much better chance of getting 2 points instead of 1 point. The difference is significant.

I’m saying that those 5-1 games played out the same way as tonight’s. A close game until the opposing team inevitably scores late in the game after our offense blows chance after chance. Ward is a worse goalie, but I also remember many of those games went from 2-1 or 3-1 to blowouts because the team basically gave up after giving up the tiebreaking goal, because they knew they couldn’t score another goal.

Too many more of these games this year and I wouldn’t be surprised to see the pattern repeat, regardless of who is in net. I’m hoping our offense finds its game before it starts to become “a thing” and these 2-1 games start turning into 5-1 ones.

Highway29

Don dun well?
Mar 20, 2013
Thoughts on start of the season:

I think our offense seems uninspired - except Skinner, Aho. Probably partly a cause of Peters' tight system. I think Williams, Faulk tried to step up and lead the team during this game's 3rd period but with no success. It seemed forced. I wish that they would try more variations, surprising moves in the offensive zone. I really want to see them closer to goal than now - I know it's not easy to do and it doesn't help the most eager player to go there is Derek Ryan.

I think Staal seems to be lost in the offensive zone - I'd want him to be in front of the net also. Williams seemed to click with Skinner. I might switch Kuokkanen and McGinn - Kuokkanen would bring a bit more skill to 4th line and he has seemed responsible player so far. McGinn could bring some energy to our floating 1st or 2nd line.

I've really liked Fleury and Hanifin has learned his lesson from 1st game.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I get the idea behind spreading the talent out among the lines but it's not really working. I think Williams and Skinner showed enough chemistry to warrant being together again, and while I'd prefer a different center between them I don't think ryan would really fit anywhere else. I also think Aho could be reunited with teravainen, maybe with rask in the middle? I don't think peters would split up Staal and lindholm and Aho seems to find something with whoever he is with.

Aho - rask - TT
McGinn - Staal - lindholm
Skinner - ryan - Williams
Nordstrom - Kruger - kooks

Maybe? I don't love kuokkonen on the fourth line but maybe it's time to send him on his way for this year and call up someone like wallmark or zykov who might fit better there. Of course I'm sure they'll give necas a few games too which will change everything especially if they put him at center. I don't know I'm just throwing spaghetti at the wall

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I think that if this is the how things are going go unfold this season, Peters is on the chopping block. IDK who they replace him with, but its not like this team sucks- they have the tools to at least be in the picture. The system seems sound until its time to get to the scoring areas, and then the guys just get stuffed when they go for it.

Totally agree with how soft the team is. I've been watching a long time, and it seems like no matter who the coach is or who the players are, they lack any kind of grit. Where does this come from? Karmonous? Why are players tough in other places but not here? I remember when they brought in Kevin Westgarth to "protect" Skinner, and he went from a pretty ruthless enforcer to a guy that just skated slowly around for a min or two a night and hardly punched anybody.

Maybe a new ownership will inspire a new culture? Was there any grit in the early days of Greensboro?

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Let Jordan play with two scrubs again, is seems like he plays better when he gets to do that, and it open up for Aho and Lindy to play with a player that is not stonehanded on offense.

Agreed.

Jordan will put up his 35 points with good defensive play no matter who he's with. Here is my attempt at lines

Skinner - Rask - Williams
TT - Staal - Kuokk
Aho - Necas - Lindholm (ANL teehee)
McGinn - Kruger - Nordy

Stickpuckers X thoughts.

* I would just sit Ryan for a game even though he has been one of the few Canes going to the net.
* Lots of viable options to mix the lines with so many "top 9ers" time to find some chemistry.
* Rask & Skinner have looked good in the past.
* I like Williams there for his 2 way play and he looked good with Skinner in their limited time together
* I want to see Necas playmaking with Aho & Lindy up the skill of that line.
* Staal always creates space for soft players like TT.
* TTs best games have been on Jordan's wing.
* Kuokks has shown to be responsible on both ends and has shown he'll take a few shots. Lets see him with Turbo.
* I would be quick to move McGinn up the lineup b/c he's shown he's willing to game and not p***yfoot abouts the ice. We might need him for some energy and when defenders are looking over their shoulder they cough up the puck a lot in bad spaces.
*Really we can't make the offense worse
* Fleury has impressed me so far
* Darling is a beaut'

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
They looked light years better in the first game then they did last night. There was absolutely no chemistry. Not sure wtf happened. Off night I guess. Hopefully this isn't the product that we'll be watching very often.

The skill was coached out of them within the week. Interesting the score of the Cbus-Minny game had the exact same result.

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
I thought the Canes deserved a better fate. Outplayed the Jets badly in the second period. Rest of the game was fairly even. As a Jet fan I consider the team fortunate to come away with 2 points.

Really like the Canes speed and tenacity, but as many of you seem to think there is maybe a lack of finish or scoring touch among most of the forwards.

Hope things go well for your team both on and off the ice this season.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Send Kuokkanen down and bring up Zykov. Need somebody that's not afraid to get his nose dirty. That's Zykov for sure. I don't think Kuokkanen has been bad at all, in some ways he's been pretty impressive, but he's playing on the perimeter too much. A full season in Charlotte would do him a whole lot of good. I would put Zykov on Skinner's line. If Rask continues to struggle this badly, sit him down for a couple games and bring up Wallmark to take his place.

Aho-Staal-Lindholm
Skinner-Ryan-Zykov
Teravainen-Rask-Williams
McGinn-Kruger-Nordstrom

SeaBasstian

Don't Tread On Me
Mar 5, 2007
Connecticut
Send Kuokkanen down and bring up Zykov. Need somebody that's not afraid to get his nose dirty. That's Zykov for sure. I don't think Kuokkanen has been bad at all, in some ways he's been pretty impressive, but he's playing on the perimeter too much. A full season in Charlotte would do him a whole lot of good. I would put Zykov on Skinner's line. If Rask continues to struggle this badly, sit him down for a couple games and bring up Wallmark to take his place.

Whaaaat? Dude has been one of the only players in all 3 games who has been a threat. The kid is 19 and looks really good, way above what pretty much anyone here expected already. Sure he isnt perfect yet, not as well rounded as he could be, but so far there is absolutely ZERO reason to send him down. He definitely would benefit from the positive boost keeping him here for a while would give. There are plenty of other guys in the offense right now who have been MORE inept and LESS useful night after night.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
There are plenty of other guys in the offense right now who have been MORE inept and LESS useful night after night.

Yeah, sure, but how many of them are on a two-way contract? It's not like we can send Rask down to Charlotte.

As I said I don't think Kuokkanen has been bad at all, but he's almost exclusively a perimeter player right now. Zykov will go into the middle and add a physical element that is sorely missing right now IMO.

At the very least, if you aren't going to play Necas, send him back to Europe and bring up somebody that you're not afraid to put in the lineup.

SeaBasstian

Don't Tread On Me
Mar 5, 2007
Connecticut
Yeah, sure, but how many of them are on a two-way contract? It's not like we can send Rask down to Charlotte.

As I said I don't think Kuokkanen has been bad at all, but he's almost exclusively a perimeter player right now. Zykov will go into the middle and add a physical element that is sorely missing right now IMO.

At the very least, if you aren't going to play Necas, send him back to Europe and bring up somebody that you're not afraid to put in the lineup.

I wasn't suggesting sending them down. I was advocating for there being NO reason to send Kuokkanen down specifically because he is outplaying most of the lineup right now. Bench Ryan, bench TT, bench Rask...... Put Necas in, or roll 7 D even (with Carrick, not Dahlbeck haha) But by no means does it make sense to send Kuokks down.

I highly doubt based on Peters' comments that Necas isnt getting playing time because they are SCARED to play him.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
It's one game, and the games have been spread out so we're going too far into debating all this.

But allow me to continue debating..:

I'm already over the spreading out the SlavinPesce. I know it's about sharing the wealth for the greater good but we have an amazing pairing, let them be amazing and figure out the rest.

I too think Williams and Skinner belong together, but if not I'd like to see Williams with Staal. I'd try McGinn on the other side but probably one of the wee fancy fellas would end up over there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad