Post-Game Talk: Game 28 B's keep grinding and bank 2 points - BRUINS 3 Detroit 2 F/OT

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Marchand has to be the first star tonight, although Acciari's goal gave the B's some life.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
If Pastrnak doesn't improve dramatically at any other aspect of hockey other than offense, the Bruins will never win anything with him playing top minutes. Yes he scored the tying goal, blah blah blah. I have never seen someone so offensively talented, who is as clueless as he is when it comes to thinking about the rest of the game. He doesn't have to be Bergeron, but just don't be SUCH a liability.

He has a lot of work to do defensively, but he's not nearly as bad as you're making him out to be. Very stupid mistake tonight but I think he forgot the defenseman pinched, realized it, then hesitated. He should have backed off from the start, but I guarantee he won't make that mistake again. He turns the puck over a bit too much, and he's prone to making big mistakes like that, but he learns quickly. A lot comes with experience and seeing the same situation play out time after time.

He's a kid who has learned amazingly fast and he's his own biggest critic. You could see in the way he played after the mistake, he was so pissed off and he wanted to get that goal back. Obviously give most of the credit to Marchy on that goal, but still. Work ethic is not something I worry about in the slightest with him. He'll learn. It's important for him to fail. As good as he is, he's only 21. He's going to get better by failing and learning.

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017
Little extreme don’t you think. He is not solid defensively but he isn’t exactly poor either. If you are looking at the short handed goal, how many 21 year old forwards in the NHL would have played that any different, or veterans for that matter. For me I will gladly take his defensive lapses as long as he continues the offence, he is loaded in that department.
I don't think it's extreme at all. He's played 200 games in the league, he's not your average 21 year old forward in the NHL. Those defensive lapses and his offensive output do not have to be mutually exclusive.

He has a lot of work to do defensively, but he's not nearly as bad as you're making him out to be. Very stupid mistake tonight but I think he forgot the defenseman pinched, realized it, then hesitated. He should have backed off from the start, but I guarantee he won't make that mistake again. He turns the puck over a bit too much, and he's prone to making big mistakes like that, but he learns quickly. A lot comes with experience and seeing the same situation play out time after time.

He's a kid who has learned amazingly fast and he's his own biggest critic. You could see in the way he played after the mistake, he was so pissed off and he wanted to get that goal back. Obviously give most of the credit to Marchy on that goal, but still. Work ethic is not something I worry about in the slightest with him. He'll learn. It's important for him to fail. As good as he is, he's only 21. He's going to get better by failing and learning.
He's failing, I don't know if he's learning. Hopefully he is. That's a strong guarantee for you to make since nobody was surprised when he did it. I don't think it's a work ethic thing, I think he tries and works hard, I just don't know if he gets it. Most of defense is effort, but that's not his problem. I think he's out of control a lot of the time and doesn't think the game very well apart from having good vision in the offensive end. Yes he's young still, but as I've said above, he's played 200 games in the league and has made virtually zero progress in any facet of the game other than offensively, which he was already good at anyway.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
If Pastrnak doesn't improve dramatically at any other aspect of hockey other than offense, the Bruins will never win anything with him playing top minutes. Yes he scored the tying goal, blah blah blah. I have never seen someone so offensively talented, who is as clueless as he is when it comes to thinking about the rest of the game. He doesn't have to be Bergeron, but just don't be SUCH a liability.
Better than robotic Seguin.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
He's failing, I don't know if he's learning. Hopefully he is. That's a strong guarantee for you to make since nobody was surprised when he did it. I don't think it's a work ethic thing, I think he tries and works hard, I just don't know if he gets it. Most of defense is effort, but that's not his problem. I think he's out of control a lot of the time and doesn't think the game very well apart from having good vision in the offensive end. Yes he's young still, but as I've said above, he's played 200 games in the league and has made virtually zero progress in any facet of the game other than offensively, which he was already good at anyway.

If he was "failing", you'd hear WAY more about him. He's an offensively-focused forward who makes a few defensive/neutral zone mistakes, most of them being when he's up alone with many layers back. Today was his worst defensive mistakes I've seen in a long, long time.

Also, the bolded claim is absolutely ridiculous. He's improved in every facet of the game as quick as I've seen any Bruins player improve. Also, to dismiss every offensive aspect of the game as "just offense which he was already good at anyway" is even more ridiculous.

Reactions: Wack Edwards

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Yes he's young still, but as I've said above, he's played 200 games in the league and has made virtually zero progress in any facet of the game other than offensively, which he was already good at anyway.
That's ludicrous. His defensive game has markedly improved. His ability to battle along the boards has come a long way. He's stronger on the puck in the neutral zone. His positioning in the defensive zone is better this year than last. He still can be sloppy with the puck at times and he made a massive blunder tonight that led to a goal, but to say he has made virtually zero progress other than offensively simply is not true. He has improved every year so far and is still improving.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Marchand always a class interview and deference to teammates and opponents

His parents taught him respect

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Definitely snapped victory from the jaws of defeat tonight. Unless they make a dramatic turnaround, Detroit's loser point will be inconsequential.

The penalty call on Bergeron was brutal, and even Roenick and Jones thought so. It looked like Green got his stick up on Marchand on the GWG and it wasn't getting called, but it's a moot point.

I like the aggressiveness of sending defensemen in, equal strength and PP. It backfired tonight on Larkin's breakaway goal, but the team knew they made a mistake and rallied around it. So it should be a pleasant flight out.

CamMac

Jan 3, 2015
I don't think it's extreme at all. He's played 200 games in the league, he's not your average 21 year old forward in the NHL. Those defensive lapses and his offensive output do not have to be mutually exclusive.

You're one of the most negative fans I've seen. He's 21 and has elite offensive skill which is something you can't teach. He can, however, be taught to be more solid in his own zone and limit his mistakes. We should learn from the Seguin trade and give this kid time to develop.

I didn't check the Red Wings GDT, but were you over there rooting for the Bruins to lose again?

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
LOL Maybe we should move him for Louie Eriksson? Please, give it a rest. He is not a defenceman. He is hardly the first forward taken advantage of in that situation on the power play. Do you seriously think none of the other top scorers in this league get burned defensively?? Pretty sure there are 30 other teams in the league that would be more than willing to take their chances on playing Pasta top minutes. lol

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
The Bruins showed fight and the will to win when it mattered the most. The Bergeron line is just so elite.

Rask looked solid tonight.

I think Bjork needs to take a seat upstairs for a game or two. He's been fighting it since his return IMO.

He just needs some time to regroup, maybe send him down for a couple weeks. He was visibly the fastest Bruin on the ice coming out of the gate. Lately, we've barely seen that.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
Pure brilliance from Marchand. I don't even know how he found Pastrnak on the tying goal...watching the replay, it didn't look there was a seam there. Fantastic pass. And what terrific quickness, poise and puck control displayed by Marchy on the winner.

And great to see the Michigan native Krug pick up a couple of helpers. He is now 6th among defencemen in PPG...and that's after an injury-related slow start. Ever since his baptism by fire in the 2013 playoffs, this guy has been an offensive DYNAMO for us. We are so lucky to have him.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Marchand on pace for 49 goals.
Pasta on pace for 43.
:D

Is it considered "on pace for" if you're counting the 8 games he missed as not played yet?
He's averaging 49 goals over 82 games but I don't think that's the same thing.

Not knocking the guy obviously, more just curious if people use the term that way.

Edit: I believe his actual pace is 44 goals and 92 points. Not bad.

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017
Better than robotic Seguin.
No he isn't. Seguin was actually pretty damn good defensively. He was great at stealing the puck and getting back, and more importantly, his hockey sense was/is miles ahead of Pastrnak. In the 2013 playoffs Seguin didn't score at all but his defensive play was actually really solid.

If he was "failing", you'd hear WAY more about him. He's an offensively-focused forward who makes a few defensive/neutral zone mistakes, most of them being when he's up alone with many layers back. Today was his worst defensive mistakes I've seen in a long, long time.

Also, the bolded claim is absolutely ridiculous. He's improved in every facet of the game as quick as I've seen any Bruins player improve. Also, to dismiss every offensive aspect of the game as "just offense which he was already good at anyway" is even more ridiculous.
I completely disagree and I'm not dismissing the offensive part of his game, it's why he's valuable. And it's fine to be one dimensional, as long as that one dimension is consistent enough (he is) and you aren't a liability elsewhere (which right now, at this point, he is).

That's ludicrous. His defensive game has markedly improved. His ability to battle along the boards has come a long way. He's stronger on the puck in the neutral zone. His positioning in the defensive zone is better this year than last. He still can be sloppy with the puck at times and he made a massive blunder tonight that led to a goal, but to say he has made virtually zero progress other than offensively simply is not true. He has improved every year so far and is still improving.
I really disagree, I watch almost every single game and I don't think he's made much progress, if any, away from the puck.

You're one of the most negative fans I've seen. He's 21 and has elite offensive skill which is something you can't teach. He can, however, be taught to be more solid in his own zone and limit his mistakes. We should learn from the Seguin trade and give this kid time to develop.

I didn't check the Red Wings GDT, but were you over there rooting for the Bruins to lose again?
Just because it's negative, doesn't mean it's wrong.

I am giving him time to develop, where did I say to get rid of him or anything like that? I don't know why some people get so offended when you make valid criticisms of Bruins players. Doesn't it get boring to be such a homer? I'm not even saying that as an insult, but wouldn't you rather be a little more objective, and actually be able to fairly have a conversation about players weaknesses?

Right now, there is no point in rooting for the Bruins to lose. Yes if I had it my way they would completely bottom out, and get rid of Rask, Chara, ,etc. but Rask getting shelled tonight isn't going to lead them to trading him. In the midst of his freefall in November, we were moving to that point, but since then he's played better and there's no chance right now. Believe me, if I'm rooting against the Bruins, you'll know it.

LOL Maybe we should move him for Louie Eriksson? Please, give it a rest. He is not a defenceman. He is hardly the first forward taken advantage of in that situation on the power play. Do you seriously think none of the other top scorers in this league get burned defensively?? Pretty sure there are 30 other teams in the league that would be more than willing to take their chances on playing Pasta top minutes. lol
Loui Eriksson is on my mount rushmore of most hated players to ever come through here. What a nothing.

Where did I say no other top scorers in the league get burned defensively? Where did I say I wanted to get rid of him? Try to be objective and see the points of views of others. If you disagree, fine. But don't just make up arguments based on things that weren't even said.

Reactions: RyderFistPump

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4