Post-Game Talk: Game 28 B's keep grinding and bank 2 points - BRUINS 3 Detroit 2 F/OT

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
My internet provider decided to go through scheduled maintenance (never got that memo) starting 7 minutes before puck drop. Game missed. Ugh.

Glad to see the boys won it. Such dramatic fashion would have been entertaining to see.

By the way, quietly Marchand has the league's third ppg (1.25), same as McDavid and only second to Stamkos-Kucherov (1.40). Marchand's pace = 103 points over 82 games. Brad's a confirmed super ☆☆☆star☆☆☆.

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
A bigger issue for me with Pasta is his problem with turnovers...

His defensive ability isn't as big a deal when he's rolling with Bergy and Marchy.

Still it's hard to rag on a kid who's one HUGE part of the scoring on this team. I'm glad they won, but man, I almost went to bed after the second period. I'm glad I didn't

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
Great win, sluggish game throughout..i miss the krejci who used to be able to slow the play down and make his linemates better, been missing that the last couple of games.. riley nash, who never gets enough credit. was an animal on the defensive side of the game tonight

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
Passed out during this game. Glad to see we pulled it out. The OT goal was a thing of beauty. A fantastic backhander from a very tough angle. Rask was very good too. Finally scored when we pulled the goalie. Keep on plugging away boys !

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I have a fair bit of tolerance for defensive mistakes from a 21 year old PPG player. Production is a much more consistent part of his game than these types of **** ups that hurt the team. It’s not like we don’t see veteran players get burned like that from time to time. Plus how many people were surprised to see him make up for the mistake with a goal. The youth movement over these next few years is going to be a real struggle for some fans I guess if you can’t handle seeing that from time to time.

I thought Rask had a real nice game. They deserved to lose but there’s the importance of playing your own game well regardless and keeping them in it the whole way. Given their history with Washington it sure feels better going in with 2 points already accomplished in the back to back.

Reactions: Wack Edwards

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
"Brad Marchand won`t be anything more than a journeyman AHL`er"

Almost sure that was one of my many ridiculous posts about him in his first few years....good grief:shakehead

Definitive predictions, asking for ridicule.

There was a poster on here who continually insisted that no team could win a Cup with Tim Thomas in goal. He must have changed his on line identity after 2011.

As for Marchand, I recall saying I couldn't imagine Team Canada even considering him when it was suggested he could play on the World Cup team in 2016.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
A bigger issue for me with Pasta is his problem with turnovers...

His defensive ability isn't as big a deal when he's rolling with Bergy and Marchy.

Still it's hard to rag on a kid who's one HUGE part of the scoring on this team. I'm glad they won, but man, I almost went to bed after the second period. I'm glad I didn't

I hit the bunk after the 2nd (had been up almost 19 hours at that point, could barely keep my eyes open).

My record the last 11 games when I've only seen either none of the game or just partial is 9-0.

Games I've seen the entire thing in that stretch are the two losses (Edm and Nashvillle).

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Thought our defense was good last nite. Im really liking Gryz out there. I dont see him coming out.
Good game from Krug. He's just gotta hit the net.

Big goal from the 4th line.
2nd line hurt us big time last nite. I cant say enough, we will be a solid two line team when Cehlarik comes back. I do not think Bjork is cutting it on the second line. I think he will only be useful on the line with Bergie and Marchand.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
No, nothing went over my head, that wasn't why they traded him. They traded him because of off ice issues, his defensive play was well above average for someone with his offensive prowess.

I never said no other offensive players make mistakes, you're creating a strawman. It's not that he makes mistakes, it's that he's a complete liability out there. It's not too much to ask to have a top line player just not be a complete liability if he's going to be playing top line minutes. If he doesn't improve, yes they will not win anything with him playing top line minutes. He was arguably their worst player in the playoffs last year. I would cut him some slack if I saw he was making any improvements whatsoever, but he hasn't in my opinion.

Also, the actual quote was "If Pastrnak doesn't improve dramatically at any other aspect of hockey other than offense, the Bruins will never win anything with him playing top minutes."
Calling Pastrnak a "complete liability" says more about your player assessment abilities than it does about his value to the team.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Thought our defense was good last nite. Im really liking Gryz out there. I dont see him coming out.
Good game from Krug. He's just gotta hit the net.

Big goal from the 4th line.
2nd line hurt us big time last nite. I cant say enough, we will be a solid two line team when Cehlarik comes back. I do not think Bjork is cutting it on the second line. I think he will only be useful on the line with Bergie and Marchand.

After watching Cehlarik with Debrusk/Krejci, and now Bjork in that spot, Cehlarik just appears to be a better fit. He's better on the cycle, and his ability to make short pass and quick decisions when he gets the puck seems to blend itself well with their games.

Bjork is more of a east/west guy, likes to handle the puck more, likes to cut into the middle of the offensive zone (a bit too much IMO) looking to shoot.

I just hope they give him a look with Heinen-Backes rather than deciding he's the odd man out if/when both he and Cehlarik are healthy.

Reactions: Grimey and zaYG

bwdrums1

Dec 14, 2017
Rask is playing well. Is it me, though, or is he below average on breakaways ? It just seems that he gets beat often on breakaways when they really could use a stop, like with Larkin tonight. Don't know what his shootout % is. Am I being nitpicky ? ......lol

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
The ice looked awfully rough. Even before they started mentioning it - just so so many players stumble, lose and edge or go down around the nets.
Interesting to see Krejci try to push the play more. Not really his game but like that he's trying to change things up a bit.
DeBrusk continues to improve.
Reily Nash got picked on a lot earlier in the year - when asked to punch above his pay-grade - but the guy just does everything you want from a bottom six player.
Rask is dialed in.

Filthy display of skills at the end of the game. Wow! - I wonder if Marchand can lead the league in PPG this year. Missing games probably tanked his chance at the Art Ross but he's just one of the very elite talents in the league now and it's great to see.

Tough going the next couple weeks. But this team is very good.

Only spot that looks to be a bit of a weakness at the moment is Krejci's Right Winger. No rush at the moment. I don't think Bjork is bad, nor that he won't become a very good player, but if you could seriously upgrade that position, this team would be looking at a very deep run come playoff time.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Rask is playing well. Is it me, though, or is he below average on breakaways ? It just seems that he gets beat often on breakaways when they really could use a stop, like with Larkin tonight. Don't know what his shootout % is. Am I being nitpicky ? ......lol
This year, he's only faced 3 shootout attempts, but he's only made 1 save. Last year he was 18 for 24 (75%), and the year before he was 12 for 14 (85.7%). Excluding this year because of sample size, he's in the top third of goalies in the shootout.

Let's not use this as an effort to take away from Larkin last night. He made a nice (albeit subtle) shot fake that Rask bit on. It was a nice goal by Larkin, much less a fail by Rask.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Thought I'd stop in an read about the B's stealing victory from the jaws of defeat. Instead I'm treated to someone complaining about what a bad player Pasta is? Good grief, this place is nuts...

iu

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
Another two points in the bag.

Detroit played pretty well from what I saw.

Would like to have seen one of the Bruins do something physically to get the team more engaged in the game in the first two periods. Chara had a couple of good strong defensive plays and Acciari finished his checks a few times but that was about it. Regular season doldrums I suppose. They didn't seem to possess the puck too much....and none of the 4 lines really stood out except the end of the game flurry.

Happy to see Pastrnak draw two penalties....that were legitimate too.

I thought DeBrusk played well in spurts. His overall game is starting to come along...more comfortable skating with the puck. One thing I like about him is that he is strong on the puck already at age 21. When he puts on another 5 pounds or so he is going to be really tough to deal with.

Marchand is a star. Great players make it happen and he is at that level now.

bwdrums1

Dec 14, 2017
This year, he's only faced 3 shootout attempts, but he's only made 1 save. Last year he was 18 for 24 (75%), and the year before he was 12 for 14 (85.7%). Excluding this year because of sample size, he's in the top third of goalies in the shootout.

Let's not use this as an effort to take away from Larkin last night. He made a nice (albeit subtle) shot fake that Rask bit on. It was a nice goal by Larkin, much less a fail by Rask.
Thanks for the reply with the stats. Yup, it was a nice deke by Larkin, not exactly Datsyukian, but nice. Love your "Ference is my binky" line. I loved Ference too, hated it when he left, he was a big part of the 2 Cup final years......

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Man, there's always a dig at Rask. Larkin came in 100 mph on a breakway from basically the Bruins blue line. I would say that Rask is above average on breakaways and there was zero chance on him making that save.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
That's ludicrous. His defensive game has markedly improved. His ability to battle along the boards has come a long way. He's stronger on the puck in the neutral zone. His positioning in the defensive zone is better this year than last. He still can be sloppy with the puck at times and he made a massive blunder tonight that led to a goal, but to say he has made virtually zero progress other than offensively simply is not true. He has improved every year so far and is still improving.
I don't know if I would call it a massive blunder. Short-handed goals are a fault of everyone on the ice. You can just as easily blame Bergy for shooting a puck straight into some legs instead of making a safer pass.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
It's easy to remember the breakaways that he gets scored on but I can certainly recall tons of clutch breakaway saves by Rask. I remember one within the past few games...don't remember the details but I remember being hyped about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad