Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Screenshot_20231213-213301.png

Reactions: HanSolo

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
You know... play both ends of the ice. Use their speed to take away time and space out there. Get the crowd into the game. Take the crowd out of the game. Get to those loose pucks. Make the other team pay the price for getting in front of the net. Take away those passing lanes. Go hard into those tough areas. Play the body. Dictate the play. Outwork the other team. Create chances and most of all... get some lucky bounces.
I thought it was…
Fall behind early
Take a lot penalties
Shoot in to shin pads
Pass into feet
Try to softly shoot puck out of zone
Always ring puck around boards opposite direction
When playing well get injured

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Gibson has to save that. Really no excuse to give that goal up late.

As for the rest of em, really disappointed in Fowler, Henrique and Killorn this season. Thought they'd be positives this season but more often then not I'm wondering why they are still playing the game.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

QuackAttack90

Nov 29, 2011
At what point does Cronin start getting some (or more) of the blame? This stretch of play has been pathetic and it's not like he's doing anything different than Eakins right now.
I’m there now.

I understand the injuries are a big problem but we are still drastically underperforming.

There are multiple parts of our play that are flat out not working and don’t seem to be getting addressed. Why is Lacombe still with Fowler? Why is Terry Glued to Leo? Why is the team unable to play a solid first period?

I hope that things dramatically turn around when we get some of the guys back in the lineup but our team game as a whole currently looks hopeless.

Reactions: Yemeth

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
At what point does Cronin start getting some (or more) of the blame? This stretch of play has been pathetic and it's not like he's doing anything different than Eakins right now.
The D system is much better.

With Eakins guys just stayed in front of the net and hoped for a miracle. With Cronin, players are at least going after pucks. Problem is, when the Ducks do get the puck it usually ends up on a rookies stick and most rookies aren't use to the speed and pressure of the NHL game and thus they make some bad mistakes. The forwards looked to be more engaged forechecking for Cronin at the start of the season but thats been gone since November, for whatever reason.

For me, I'd give Cronin 3 years. Once Leo is full time, once Zegras and Drysdale have a full camp, once the charred remains of Silf is off the third line and once the young guys like Lacombe, Minty, Zellweger and Luneau are everyday NHLers then you can judge his body of work. You also have to give him something to work with. If your depth is so bad that you end up having Leason in your top 6 and someone with 7 points on the ice when your net is empty then maybe you need to make some calls around the league to bring some players in. Especially considering how poor the AHL team has been for the past 2 seasons.

Reactions: duckpuck

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
When you’re a guy with a piss poor “woah is me” posture when things get tough like Gibson, you can’t be giving up so many crap goals.

There’s something wrong. Can’t pass, can’t shoot, same mistakes for years.

I’d get rid of any number of long time members of this team because many have not shown anything that screams leading by example.

We were spoiled for a long time by grwat players that left it all on the ice and now have a bunch of soft dogs

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
I thought it was…
Fall behind early
Take a lot penalties
Shoot in to shin pads
Pass into feet
Try to softly shoot puck out of zone
Always ring puck around boards opposite direction
When playing well get injured
Well, you know, obviously.. yeah, the Islanders were the better team tonight, obviously. Obviously, you know.. a tie game with less than 2 minutes left and we're on the power play... you can't give up those kinds of goals. Not in this league. We have to own that. But you know, we just need to shake this one off and get back to our game there. Stay disciplined. Get pucks on on net. Make smart plays out there. Don't take any shifts off. Just gotta stay focused and keep doing the right things.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
When you’re a guy with a piss poor “woah is me” posture when things get tough like Gibson, you can’t be giving up so many crap goals.

There’s something wrong. Can’t pass, can’t shoot, same mistakes for years.

I’d get rid of any number of long time members of this team because many have not shown anything that screams leading by example.

We were spoiled for a long time by grwat players that left it all on the ice and now have a bunch of soft dogs
This!!

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
As poor as that finished, we played well in period 2 and period 3 given who we're missing and the Isles are a damn good team.

Just a shame about the first period and Gibson having yet another mental lapse at the worst time in net.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I don't know why this one did it, but I got very frustrated at this one. There's no ability to make clean passes, their forecheck was non-existent, their breakouts were Carlyle-esque, they can't handle pucks or make plays...this was just bad hockey.

And I'm not ready to get on Cronin yet, but he needs to do something different. Silfverberg...or, rather, the corpose of Silfverberg, spent all game fumbling pucks, not making good passes, and getting no shots through, so you've got him on the power play at the end?

This game was an Eakins special. I knew there would be games where the Ducks' lack of developed talent would cause them to get outplayed, but this should not have been one of them. The Islanders are not that good, and didn't look that good. The Ducks just sucked. Blech.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Wtf are you doing Cronin? Why don't you just go to Edmonton, kidnap McDavid and Draisaitl, give them Ducks jerseys and play them on the top line. If we just continue like we have, we will keep losing :sarcasm:

Hope our 3 luttle Ducks get back in the lineup soon

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
Everyone here is on the idea of dumping gibson, flower, silf, and henrique except one guy. Lol. These 4 are garbage. Im pissed we waited so long with them. Should have traded them when we could have gotten something. Anything. Now we cant even get 4ths with them

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Everyone here is on the idea of dumping gibson, flower, silf, and henrique except one guy. Lol. These 4 are garbage. Im pissed we waited so long with them. Should have traded them when we could have gotten something. Anything. Now we cant even get 4ths with them
Silfverberg and Henrique are gone 5 months from now one way or the other

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Eh, Silf and Henrique are getting traded in the next few months regardless.

Gibson is difficult to move, and I'm not as confident in Dostal as I hoped to be by this point. I'd be fine trading him if the right deal came up, but only if the Ducks got a decent asset in return. I'm not interested in trading him a straight cap dump.

Fowler is also difficult to move due to his contract (NTC). I also think he still has value to the team. The main issue is that he's not the type of veteran the Ducks need right now. It would be great if he were a better version of Gudas - a big, body-moving type of d-man who could play sound, physical, defensive hockey alongside a rookie. But he's not that guy, and the Ducks have a lot of offensive, puck-moving guys coming up. It's just a tough fit. I don't see him getting traded, though.

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
Eh, Silf and Henrique are getting traded in the next few months regardless.

Gibson is difficult to move, and I'm not as confident in Dostal as I hoped to be by this point. I'd be fine trading him if the right deal came up, but only if the Ducks got a decent asset in return. I'm not interested in trading him a straight cap dump.

Fowler is also difficult to move due to his contract (NTC). I also think he still has value to the team. The main issue is that he's not the type of veteran the Ducks need right now. It would be great if he were a better version of Gudas - a big, body-moving type of d-man who could play sound, physical, defensive hockey alongside a rookie. But he's not that guy, and the Ducks have a lot of offensive, puck-moving guys coming up. It's just a tough fit. I don't see him getting traded, though.
Deselliers (forgot how to spell his name) was that guy. He brought toughness and energy on the team.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Offense has really dried up once the injuries started to pile up. To be expected with the lack of depth, but it does nothing for me in terms of entertainment value.

I'll continue to stick it out watching these games, but you can't make me happy about it!

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Deselliers (forgot how to spell his name) was that guy. He brought toughness and energy on the team.
He was also pretty bad at hockey - ok in the defensive end, not much in transition or on offense. Toughness and energy are fine as long as everyone else is scoring goals. If they're not, as was the case during the Deslauriers years, toughness and energy end up not being worth much.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
The D system is much better.

With Eakins guys just stayed in front of the net and hoped for a miracle. With Cronin, players are at least going after pucks. Problem is, when the Ducks do get the puck it usually ends up on a rookies stick and most rookies aren't use to the speed and pressure of the NHL game and thus they make some bad mistakes. The forwards looked to be more engaged forechecking for Cronin at the start of the season but thats been gone since November, for whatever reason.

For me, I'd give Cronin 3 years. Once Leo is full time, once Zegras and Drysdale have a full camp, once the charred remains of Silf is off the third line and once the young guys like Lacombe, Minty, Zellweger and Luneau are everyday NHLers then you can judge his body of work. You also have to give him something to work with. If your depth is so bad that you end up having Leason in your top 6 and someone with 7 points on the ice when your net is empty then maybe you need to make some calls around the league to bring some players in. Especially considering how poor the AHL team has been for the past 2 seasons.
My problem is the spacing, poor forechecking and desire to constantly dump the puck rather than a controlled entry. I think all three of those are really hurting a player like Terry and Zegras who need to be playing a skilled and puck possession game, rather than a dump and chase game.

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
He was also pretty bad at hockey - ok in the defensive end, not much in transition or on offense. Toughness and energy are fine as long as everyone else is scoring goals. If they're not, as was the case during the Deslauriers years, toughness and energy end up not being worth much.
He's not the best, but you only pay him like $1m max.

My problem is the spacing, poor forechecking and desire to constantly dump the puck rather than a controlled entry. I think all three of those are really hurting a player like Terry and Zegras who need to be playing a skilled and puck possession game, rather than a dump and chase game.
Yea...i don't understand why we are still dumping the puck. We have elite talent now and speed. I understood the dump the puck strat when you had a guy like getzlaf, but this no longer makes sense.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Agreed. Neither of them seem particularly adept along the boards. I can see Leo getting there but at this point I don't think we should expect Terry and Z to win many body battles along the boards. Maybe Z if he can continue to bulk up but at 26 years old, Terry ain't that guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad