GDT: Game #28: Anaheim Ducks @ New York Islanders, 4:30pm PT, BSSC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I very frequently see a couple of forwards waiting for the pass in the neutral zone standing right next to each other looking to chip the puck in. The D dont have a lot of passing options or space to carry the puck up in those circumstances.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
I very frequently see a couple of forwards waiting for the pass in the neutral zone standing right next to each other looking to chip the puck in. The D dont have a lot of passing options or space the carry the puck up in those circumstances.
Because flower somehow forgot how to handle the puck.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i can't believe tickets to ducks home games are still $30+ for most games. with the bullshit fees, you're looking at close to $100 for the cheapest seats to watch the worst team in hockey

what a joke

Reactions: AngelDuck

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Why does it feel like we are in hockey purgatory for the past five years? Refs and NHL hate us.

Losing 2-3 consecutive games is reasonable for a rebuilding team trying to get consistent, but good god how can we keep losing. It’s truly unbelievable that coaches and players can’t break this terrible funk every once in a while.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
i can't believe tickets to ducks home games are still $30+ for most games. with the bullshit fees, you're looking at close to $100 for the cheapest seats to watch the worst team in hockey

what a joke
and the building is empty every night. Absurd

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I feel like this board has lost their minds, in general at least. This was an incomplete rebuilding team to start the season. A lot of the pieces are in place to be a good team. You literally can't take out 3 core players off the roster and expect the team not to struggle. Literally no team would. Are there issues, for sure, am I happy, heck no, but let's see what this team is when we're actually healthy. Good grief.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I feel like this board has lost their minds, in general at least. This was an incomplete rebuilding team to start the season. A lot of the pieces are in place to be a good team. You literally can't take out 3 core players off the roster and expect the team not to struggle. Literally no team would. Are there issues, for sure, am I happy, heck no, but let's see what this team is when we're actually healthy. Good grief.
Nah, we all understand that but just because we logically understand those points does not make it any easier to watch.

Reactions: ohcomeonref

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Nah, we all understand that but just because we logically understand those points does not make it any easier to watch.
Honestly, I'm not so sure. I'm sure a lot here do but given the type of complaints you'd think we were completely healthy and still this bad.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017

It’s an emotional place in general (all sub-forums are). Throw in a team coming off of a historically bad season last year losing 12 of 13 after it looked like they were starting to turn a corner (unsustainable though it might have been), and it’s not a fun time.

Reactions: ohcomeonref

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
It’s an emotional place in general (all sub-forums are). Throw in a team coming off of a historically bad season last year losing 12 of 13 after it looked like they were starting to turn a corner (unsustainable though it might have been), and it’s not a fun time.
Don't disagree, it's not fun. Doesn't mean we should move everyone over the age of 25 or who has been playing poorly over this stretch. Each of these players has proven capable in the right situation. Moving them doesn't fix the situation for us so there is no point in doing so. If anything it makes things worse. I'll be the first to reconsider my stance if we are still losing 9 out of 10 after these players are healthy.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
All that considered, the constant hysterics are wearing on some of us who would prefer to talk about the game rather than shit on the whole team all the time.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I'm generally with you, but as others have said, it's hard to keep watching the same crap over and over again and be logical about it. It's difficult to maintain perspective.

As for the injury issues, good teams have the depth to deal with it. They won't win as much, nor will they dominate games as well, but they'll still be competitive. They'll find ways to win when they're up by a goal or two in the third period. The Ducks can't do it.

The health is a valid excuse, for sure, but it only goes so far.

Reactions: JohnnyDrama

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I'm generally with you, but as others have said, it's hard to keep watching the same crap over and over again and be logical about it. It's difficult to maintain perspective.

As for the injury issues, good teams have the depth to deal with it. They won't win as much, nor will they dominate games as well, but they'll still be competitive. They'll find ways to win when they're up by a goal or two in the third period. The Ducks can't do it.

The health is a valid excuse, for sure, but it only goes so far.
Which team is bad, the one with Drysdale, Z, and McTavish, or the one we are watching now?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
the main issue for me is that you would think the vets would step up their play in the absence of key guys like zegras and mctavish, but they're just making the team worse. aside from vatrano and gudas (for the most part,) every vet on the team has been absolute garbage

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
We finished with the worst record last year. This year, we had up six rookies and four them are new to the pros in C Carlsson, LD/RD LaCombe, LD Mintyukov, and RD Luneau. Carlsson is being used as a part-time 1C and Luneau gets onto the ice when Verbeek says so. We're already behind the 8-ball before the injuries started.

There are three big flaws early this season: starting slow, ES scoring, and being penalty happy.

There are several positive things early this season: improved PK, improved PP, and improved overall defense.

Our offensive drop off started around game 16, where the Avs were listening to Devo's "Whip it". It's like our ES psyche broke. Since game 16, we scored three or more goals in 13 games just four times. Vatrano and Strome have cooled down quickly after going supernova to start the season. We need to see more out of Cronin to help out our lackluster ES offense.

With the losses piling up, sure, I'm disappointed in the loss. I'm still watching because we're watching our future developing right before our eyes in Carlsson, Minty, and LaCombe. The older futures are out with injuries in Lundy, Drysdaley, Z, and Mac.

In our last six games, five of them are 1-goal differentials. We have won only one of them, via shootout. We're not being blown out 2-8, which is a significant improvement.

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits. Fire Newell Brown
Nov 26, 2017
All that considered, the constant hysterics are wearing on some of us who would prefer to talk about the game rather than shit on the whole team all the time.

For sure. Admittedly I lack perspective, but at the end of the day, it's like Bryz said: "It's only game. Why you heff to be mad?"

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
the main issue for me is that you would think the vets would step up their play in the absence of key guys like zegras and mctavish, but they're just making the team worse. aside from vatrano and gudas (for the most part,) every vet on the team has been absolute garbage
So here's my perspective on the vets. They are all support type players with the exception of Fowler. I'll get to him in a second. Guys like Vatrano, Strome, Killorn, Rico and Silf were brought in or retained to support the young core, not lead them. They're not Fialas, Debrincats, Nylanders. Our guys have proven they can play up in the lineup for short periods. Look at Vatrano and Stromes start. I'll be honest. I had both pegged for the 3rd line before the season started. That was before the load management of Leo and their chemistry with McT. I'd figured on Rico and T playing with McT and Killorn Leo and Z together. If you don't expect them to carry the team then you're likely not as upset with their play. In short, we shouldn't expect 2nd and 3rd liners to perform like 1st and and liners for a prolonged period of time and it HAS been a prolonged period.

Now for Fowler. Simple question, how much can he be expected to do? He's being crtized like he is a #1 when NO one here thinks he is by himself. I feel he CAN be one with the right partner, like a Gudas or Manson. Certainly not a rookie playing their offside lacking the key attributes that compliment Fowler. 3 of our starting D had less than 70 nhl games COMBINED before the season started. The complaints on Fowler are based in hesitancy in decision making. I'd argue that's primarily him trying to compensate for the deficiencies in his partner(s) which frankly he himself isn't really equipped to do. Are we really surprised he's struggling a bit?

Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
These losses are really taking it's toll on fans, myself included. This loss however didn't take me that mindset where remotes and TVs are flying around the house, out the windows and stuff. First period was fking brutal as it typically is with this team. That has to get fixed. Luckily enough though, they didn't allow goals after the brutal start.

I thought 2nd and 3rd were more competitive but as I and we have come to expect, this team will find a way to lose the game. Too many penalties taken but at least no bench minors this time. I want to throw up every time that happens. The way this ended up was very disheartening but overall what happened before that and after the brutal 1st, they were ok in my opinion.

Stacking up all these losses though is surely affecting every player and a fan. Creating a losing culture is really worrisome and this team needs to start building some confidence soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad