GDT: Game 19: Columbus at Chicago | 2/24 7:00 PM EST

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
5 1goal losses (if you ignore the empty netter against Phoenix) on the road trip.
12 goals against, 7 goals for in the losses. Have to score more than 1.4 goals a game.
As much as I hear Seth Jones is BPA if we don't draft offense, I will be totally annoyed.(Viqsi level annoyed-ready to cyber burn people!)

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
JD, a change needs to be made now. Efforts like the last two nights are an insult to the entire fan base.

We must be watching different games. The last two nights I watched a CBJ team that worked its ass off, but doesn't have talent to beat good teams unless those good teams have an off-night.

are you watching the Sabres? Replays of last year's Jackets?

Was #7 a center? if so, that would explain what you saw.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
Once again, I can't believe that people are complaining that we didn't win. With an absolute lack of SKILL on this team, they will be lucky to win 15 games. It takes skill to make the tough passes and finish. When you have to rely on players like Umberger, Brassard and Prospal to score, it causes you to put extra pressure on players like Atkinson, Johansen, etc.

The effort is there, the skill is not.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
Once again, I can't believe that people are complaining that we didn't win. With an absolute lack of SKILL on this team, they will be lucky to win 15 games. It takes skill to make the tough passes and finish. When you have to rely on players like Umberger, Brassard and Prospal to score, it causes you to put extra pressure on players like Atkinson, Johansen, etc.

The effort is there, the skill is not.

What skill we have is largely represented on the IR. Dubi, Anisimov, Jack.

I too take exception to the posts about lack of effort. That has changed, IMO, and has made the season much much more enjoyable for this fan.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
If you can't complete or handle a pass from a foot away that's a bad effort. No excuse for being tired, every other team in the league is dealing with the same type of schedule.

I'm not sure that is a lack of effort. That is a lack of talent.

jacketman10

May 18, 2010
Hilliard, OH
The team just doesn't have the skill to win. The effort is the difference between this year and last . I don't mind losing the way we are losing.

icekoob

4th Liner
May 16, 2010
VALPO/chicago
I may catch some flack for this but after what I saw tonight, especially being in attendance, Mason gets a lot more **** then he deserves. Just an observation.

Secondly if you guys get some offense you'll go places. Would love to see it. Good game y'all.

fox2usp

Inbred Cat
Jul 2, 2008
Pumpkinville, Ohio
I may catch some flack for this but after what I saw tonight, especially being in attendance, Mason gets a lot more **** then he deserves. Just an observation.

Secondly if you guys get some offense you'll go places. Would love to see it. Good game y'all.

Mase had an awesome game. If you'd have had to live with the Mason who smelled up the joint the last 3 years, you'd have a different perspective. I'm glad he seems to have turned a corner and might yet have a future in this league.

jacketman10

May 18, 2010
Hilliard, OH
I feel like this team never gives in. I can't say the same thing for last years group. Goaltending has been better as well. I believe they could of had around 70 points last year with the increased energy they have shown this year. The team is built differently from last year.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I agree with most of you guys. We are playing hard. We just don't have much skill. Hopefully we can continue to work hard as we add some skill to the team over the next few years. That will be the key. Bringing in some skilled young players into a good environment. They will develop better, IMO, if they come into a team full of hard working players.

jdhebner

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
I ain't cousin Basil
Visit site
I agree lack of offense is the problem. Forasmuch as I am a fan of his, there is no way a 38 year old Vinny Prospal should be leading the team in goals right now. I must confess I am enjoying this fact a little.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I like the effort from the team. The last two games were definitely winnable and there has been progress. If there wasn't so many injuries and pucks bounced their way, the outcomes would have been different. They need skill, and likely that's in the form of MacKinnon, Barkov or Drouin. They're still in the hunt for the first overall pick, but this doesn't look like a last place team.

While there were defensive errors, issues like Tyutin's pass to no-one with the bad line change and Wiz's moronic behind the back pass, the kids played very well. The mistakes from the vets are less excusable, but Mason was extremely composed and came up big.

MattTheMask

Cbus for life!
Mar 11, 2009
Columbus
www.jacketsfans.com
What are we paying Brass and RJ for this year? Someone remind me.

RJ is getting 5 Mill this year, but has a 4.6 Mill Cap Hit for the next 5 years! Yes, 5. He is signed through 2016-17. It would be one thing if it was the money, might still be able to find a contender willing to take on salary for a year. But that huge amount for that long ..... Not gonna be many teams willing to take that on.

Brassard is getting 3.2 Mill for this year and next year. Then is a RFA. Similar to Umby. Too much for too long for this type of guy.

Would love to unload these 2 guys for anything at this point.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
Really not much the guys can do about not being able to put the puck in the net. If the offensive skill isn't there, it just isn't there. Skill isn't something able to be willed. Work Ethic is, though, and I really thought the past 2 nights have been great team efforts for 60 minutes. Artie and Dubi get back, JD and Jk get us some better offensive pieces, we will be competitive, especially with goaltending like we have seen the past two nights.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

People around here seem to think our goaltending is one of our top priorities that needs to be addressed. When its far from it. We need to inject an entire line of skilled players (#1C, #1RW/LW) into our lineup, which may take some time. Mason and Bobrovsky are more than capable of carrying this team for a year or two and once JD and JK decide on one I see a situation similar to the Halak/Price situation the habs had a few years ago. We need offense and we need it in spades. At the beginning of the season I was all for us taking Jones at 1 or two. Now if we had the #1 overall and Jones is the BPA, I would be all for us moving back a pick or two if we got another body out of it. Barkov Mackinnon or Drouin would all immensely help this team, especially if we can get shinkaruk as well (kane 2.0)

major major

Feb 18, 2013
People around here seem to think our goaltending is one of our top priorities that needs to be addressed. When its far from it. We need to inject an entire line of skilled players (#1C, #1RW/LW) into our lineup, which may take some time. Mason and Bobrovsky are more than capable of carrying this team for a year or two and once JD and JK decide on one I see a situation similar to the Halak/Price situation the habs had a few years ago. We need offense and we need it in spades. At the beginning of the season I was all for us taking Jones at 1 or two. Now if we had the #1 overall and Jones is the BPA, I would be all for us moving back a pick or two if we got another body out of it. Barkov Mackinnon or Drouin would all immensely help this team, especially if we can get shinkaruk as well (kane 2.0)

Long term, we definitely need better goaltending, if not from Mase and Bob then from someone else. I do think they are a good pair for our rebuild though. They are both young and could develop into much better goalies (although Halak/Price would be too much to ask for).

And you are right about the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad