GDT: Game 19: Columbus at Chicago | 2/24 7:00 PM EST

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I may catch some flack for this but after what I saw tonight, especially being in attendance, Mason gets a lot more **** then he deserves. Just an observation.

Secondly if you guys get some offense you'll go places. Would love to see it. Good game y'all.

You will catch some flak, and deservedly so. He played very well tonight. More often than not, he has played poorly. So the flak you get will be for basing your opinion on one game.

Last edited:

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Probably the most pathetic effort in years. Mason should never lose a game playing like he did tonight.

It's pretty hard to take this post seriously, since it isn't even remotely accurate. Just this year we went on a two game stretch in which we were outscored 9-1. Effort is fine, it is there. Every time you get shut out, there is someone claiming this exact thing. Overly dramatic hyperbole.

We struggle to finish. We had our chances, two prime ones that shouldn't have been missed. If you don't finish those two, you end up with a score like last night. Still making the big mistakes, luckily Chicago didn't take advantage of said mistakes.

Having said that, I'll watch this team any day over the one we had the first part of last year. The results weren't there, over the last week+, but we played with every team on that road trip and at no point were we embarrassed.

On a side note, I haven't been able to figure this fan base out. We talk like we want the #1 pick then when the team loses we get all bent out of shape about it. We knew the team was going to struggle to score goals, when it happens we act all surprised when it happens. We talk about wanting to build the team the right way, yet we talk about having to make moves now.

Get in the game people. You asked for a change at the top, you are getting it. Quit being impatient, we knew it was going to take more than a lock out shortened season to get to where we want to be.

These games are just formalities, as the young players develop and the front office evaluates the organization from top to bottom. We'll start to get a feel for the changes to come at the dead line, though I expect it to be fairly quiet. Based on the talk I expect us to be moderately active in the FA market, but no more big splashes like we tried last season.

Suck it up, support your team, and let the front office do their jobs. There was no humiliation in the loss last night. Despite the ever reactions around here, the team is trending the right direction. This team is earning our support. We ask for effort and hard work, they are giving that despite the record.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Agree w blahblah 100%.
This team has been badly put together since the beginning. Never really was a gameplan on who to acquire. It was always ok our weak spot is defense so let's sign Richardson and LaChance. Or we can't win on the road so let's get rid of Whitney and Sillinger and sign gritty guys like Marchant. Always just patching a team together.
The only time this team ever had a plan was with Hitch, and as we learned a vision from a coach can be vetoed by uppermanagement. I do firmly think the "Heavy" team is the best way for us to win still, but ownership/management sided with a bunch of young players who thought they could outscore other teams.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I may catch some flack for this but after what I saw tonight, especially being in attendance, Mason gets a lot more **** then he deserves. Just an observation.

No flack, however if you look at Mason's splits over time you'll notice a trend of playing well for short durations. I'll get excited when he can string together 20 or 30 games in a row of above average play.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
No flack, however if you look at Mason's splits over time you'll notice a trend of playing well for short durations. I'll get excited when he can string together 20 or 30 games in a row of above average play.

This.

When he can sustain that level of play, with only the occasional off night, he'll be a true #1.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
It's pretty hard to take this post seriously, since it isn't even remotely accurate. Just this year we went on a two game stretch in which we were outscored 9-1. Effort is fine, it is there. Every time you get shut out, there is someone claiming this exact thing. Overly dramatic hyperbole.

We struggle to finish. We had our chances, two prime ones that shouldn't have been missed. If you don't finish those two, you end up with a score like last night. Still making the big mistakes, luckily Chicago didn't take advantage of said mistakes.

Having said that, I'll watch this team any day over the one we had the first part of last year. The results weren't there, over the last week+, but we played with every team on that road trip and at no point were we embarrassed.

On a side note, I haven't been able to figure this fan base out. We talk like we want the #1 pick then when the team loses we get all bent out of shape about it. We knew the team was going to struggle to score goals, when it happens we act all surprised when it happens. We talk about wanting to build the team the right way, yet we talk about having to make moves now.

Get in the game people. You asked for a change at the top, you are getting it. Quit being impatient, we knew it was going to take more than a lock out shortened season to get to where we want to be.

These games are just formalities, as the young players develop and the front office evaluates the organization from top to bottom. We'll start to get a feel for the changes to come at the dead line, though I expect it to be fairly quiet. Based on the talk I expect us to be moderately active in the FA market, but no more big splashes like we tried last season.

Suck it up, support your team, and let the front office do their jobs. There was no humiliation in the loss last night. Despite the ever reactions around here, the team is trending the right direction. This team is earning our support. We ask for effort and hard work, they are giving that despite the record.

:handclap:

Damn Blah, nice post.

Since the SJ home game, we're 2-5, with all 5 of the losses being 1 goal games on the road. Tough breaks for a team working their ass off and defining the future culture. I'm pretty happy.

committedindian86

Bedard SZN
Jun 7, 2010
Chicago, IL
Probably the most pathetic effort in years. Mason should never lose a game playing like he did tonight.

I don't know what game you watched but if a couple bounces went the other way, the Jackets easily could have won this game. Mason played exceptionally well this time around. The Jackets could move up the Western Conference Standings, only if he could find a way to be consistent.

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here

I wish I could make this my signature...

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Is it still "piling on" when offering praise?

Lots of good stuff in that post, blah. This part, to me, is the crux of the mater, and what I am holding on to despite the lack of results.

The real question(s) will be, will the team keep up this intensity after there is little else to play for? Will they get frustrated, at some point, and give up?

We don't have to be happy about the results, but we should also realize they haven't given up and they (well most of them) want to win. As long as they are playing hard, I'll be supporting them. That is what we asked for. Now that we have it, let's follow through with our part.

Last edited:

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Haven't we been at that point for a while?

There is the illusion of being in it, the hope that you can roll off 4 or 5 wins in a row and get back in it. There is, probably, that hope still in the locker room. There will be a hope of "let's fight though this until we get Dubi and AA back". I am not even sure if that is unreasonable, Dubi was really starting to get in a groove. Bad timing unless you were in the tank crowd.

On to something else. I said in another post, somewhere, that I felt we wouldn't be impacted by the loss of JMFJ for a few games. For the most part, I really didn't notice he was missing last night. That is not a slight on him, it's the realization that we've got some depth. Admittedly we've got some problems with some poor decisions, but for the most part they are playing pretty well.

I'd like to see Erixon get more production on the offensive side, but he's been a pretty nice surprise for me. Not even upset about his miscue the other night. Wasn't at the time either.

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH

Well said.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA

Agreed.

bizzz*

It's pretty hard to take this post seriously, since it isn't even remotely accurate.

Its pretty hard to take any of his posts seriously. Or anyone would agree with his other "brilliant" thoughts that Nikitin should be waived or Dubi doesn't take face-offs?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
The real question(s) will be, will the team keep up this intensity after there is little else to play for? Will they get frustrated, at some point, and give up?

We don't have to be happy about the results, but we should also realize they haven't given up and they (well most of them) want to win. As long as they are playing hard, I'll be supporting them. That is what we asked for. Now that we have it, let's follow through with our part.

I think with JD firing howson and JK's strict reputation that they might be fired up to keep there spot. No one player on this team is safe, except maybe our 1st pick. That's gotta be a little motivating. Also in one of the interviews I saw the team was saying this was the closest team they had ever been on, so maybe that has a factor to it? I don't know just throwing some possibilities out there

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
While I agree with blahblah that this fanbase (myself included) are quite mercurial, we have a right to demand to be entertained while the rebuild occurs. The team doesn't have to be competitive, but it should ALWAYS strive to be an entertaining product.

This team neither wins nor does it produce exciting hockey in the form of offense. It should strive to do one of those two things. Either play a hard checking, character game and WIN or play a high-flying offensive game. What we are seeing right now is boring systems-based hockey with a team that ends up losing anyways. Why should we pay to see that? I guess egg is on my face for paying thousands of dollars to watch this season when they were just going to mail it in from day 1.

Last edited:

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
While I agree with blahblah that this fanbase (myself included) are quite mercurial, we have a right to demand to be entertained while the rebuild occurs. The team doesn't have to be competitive, but it should ALWAYS strive to be an entertaining product.

Fans put up with Hitch-style hockey because, while boring, it wins games. Winning games is fun and entertaining.

Fans put up with teams like Edmonton and Washington because, while they don't win as much, they are exciting and produce offense.

This team does neither. It should strive to do one of those two things. Either play a hard checking, character game and WIN or play a high-flying offensive game. What we are seeing right now is boring systems-based hockey with a team that ends up losing anyways. Why should we pay to see that? How can John Davidson expect fans to just be patient with that? He can keep his character players and hard work. I want to have fun every time I go to see a game.

tumblr_m1xcxhrHcy1r7ooxd.gif

I find this team to be very entertaining. Sure winning would be better then just being entertained, but for a team in rebuild I have enjoyed most of this season and for me this has been the funnest season since 08-09.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Fans put up with Hitch-style hockey because, while boring, it wins games. Winning games is fun and entertaining.

Fans put up with teams like Edmonton and Washington because, while they don't win as much, they are exciting and produce offense.

This team does neither. It should strive to do one of those two things. Either play a hard checking, character game and WIN or play a high-flying offensive game. What we are seeing right now is boring systems-based hockey with a team that ends up losing anyways. Why should we pay to see that?

"But it's all in preparation for the future!" Fine, give us free tickets for the rest of the season and make us pay in the future.

Because it is clearly an either-or proposition and it's not possible to be entertained by a hard-checking and skating game even if few goals are scored.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Because it is clearly an either-or proposition and it's not possible to be entertained by a hard-checking and skating game even if few goals are scored.

Not if they are losing.

The only way losing is acceptable is if we see exciting hockey a la Hall/RNH/Eberle/Yakupov or Ovechkin/Backstrom or Stamkos/St.Louis/Lecavalier. People only accept boring hockey like Lemaire or Hitchcock because it leads to wins. Without the wins, those guys wouldn't (didn't) last a day.

I don't dig defensive play all that much. I recognize it and appreciate it, but for me the thrills come from:
1. Goals
2. Victory

If you're losing, you should at least have a flashy forward who is entertaining to watch. If you lack that forward (like Phoenix and Nashville) you had better win games.

"But we will get that guy in this year's draft!" Again, why am I paying for this year?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

This team does neither. It should strive to do one of those two things. Either play a hard checking, character game and WIN or play a high-flying offensive game. What we are seeing right now is boring systems-based hockey with a team that ends up losing anyways. Why should we pay to see that? How can John Davidson expect fans to just be patient with that?

Because they only have to put up with it during a shortened season. You cant turn lead into gold overnight, its takes a lot more than what its really worth. 3 years ago Edmonton wasn't exciting to watch, and Washington only became exciting to watch because of the players they drafted. JD has said it over and over and over again, this organization will be built brick, by brick, through the draft, and maybe a few moves to get rid of dead weight.

Certain people on these boards hate the "brick by brick" analogy, but that is exactly what JD and JK are doing. Going through every brick in the building and finding out which ones are going to crumble and which ones are well suited to move forward. That's the only way you can be really sure you're heading in the right direction, and while it may take some time, the results are worth it.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Because they only have to put up with it during a shortened season. You cant turn lead into gold overnight, its takes a lot more than what its really worth. 3 years ago Edmonton wasn't exciting to watch, and Washington only became exciting to watch because of the players they drafted. JD has said it over and over and over again, this organization will be built brick, by brick, through the draft, and maybe a few moves to get rid of dead weight.

Certain people on these boards hate the "brick by brick" analogy, but that is exactly what JD and JK are doing. Going through every brick in the building and finding out which ones are going to crumble and which ones are well suited to move forward. That's the only way you can be really sure you're heading in the right direction, and while it may take some time, the results are worth it.
So give me my money back for this year because obviously they weren't planning on being competitive.

Regardless of the starting roster, if the front office isn't trying to win the cup every year then they should be removed. Ask them what their goal was. Do you think it was "finish last and get a really high pick while keeping budget down?" No. It was "make the playoffs and win the cup." Just as it is every year. And if it isn't, they should say so and say "we're not going to charge full price because this isn't a full team."

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Not if they are losing.

The only way losing is acceptable is if we see exciting hockey a la Hall/RNH/Eberle/Yakupov or Ovechkin/Backstrom or Stamkos/St.Louis/Lecavalier. People only accept boring hockey like Lemaire or Hitchcock because it leads to wins. Without the wins, those guys wouldn't (didn't) last a day.

I don't dig defensive play all that much. I recognize it and appreciate it, but for me the thrills come from:
1. Goals
2. Victory

If you're losing, you should at least have a flashy forward who is entertaining to watch. If you lack that forward (like Phoenix and Nashville) you had better win games.

"But we will get that guy in this year's draft!" Again, why am I paying for this year?

You are the exactly like majority of America and why hockey has a tough time spreading, the last 2 games were some of the hardest working, most exciting games we've played in a while. Just because goals aren't scored doesn't make it not exciting, for me it makes it more exciting, knowing every shot COULD win the game.

A 1-0 loss against the #1 team in the nhl, and youre not impressed?!?! With the roster we have, missing arguably our top 3 players?!?!?!?! That was one hell of a game.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Not if they are losing.

The only way losing is acceptable is if we see exciting hockey. People only accept boring hockey like Lemaire or Hitchcock because it leads to wins. Without the wins, those guys wouldn't (didn't) last a day.

1. Goals
2. Victory

I'm not trying to come off as one of those "exciting 1-0 pitcher's duel" baseball fans or "a well-played defensive football game" football fans, I'm really not.

But in recent games, the energy and enthusiasm displayed by this team I have found entertaining, despite a noticeable (and unfortunate) dearth of your two criteria.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad