GDT: Game 19: Columbus at Chicago | 2/24 7:00 PM EST

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
You don't have to pander to anyone, just f'ing win and people will come. OSU has clearly shown that the masses of Ohio love to come out and show their support for a perennial winner. Tressel ball was not the most exciting but they won and people went to watch. We don't need to worry about how we look while winning, just win.

IMO we don't need to win - we need to entertain. As long as we play the right way people will be there.
THe problem of the last 8 seasons or so is the team often didn't show up at all. Nothing like dropping $100 (or whatever) on tickets and having the team go thru the motions with no intensity. The attendance we see today (this season) is a reflection of the past.
Now I agree if we were winning it would cure everything, but this town will support a team that plays the right way.

Also the OSU argument is bad IMO. There is 100k+ there every home game. Doesn't matter if Cooper, Tressell, Urban or my Mom was the head coach. Winning helps but they would sell that place out most years anyways. And unlike the Jackets they won't accept mediocrity, if a coach wasn't recruiting or getting results they would be gone. The Jackets typically take an extra year to make a necessary move.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
No one should view their season tickets as an "investment." It's entertainment, pure and simple.

This club doesn't get blown out 8-0 or stop playing in the second period. They don't score, but they are far more entertaining than most of the rosters we've had here

And while its not what I ultimately want, its also better than what I've seen the last few years.

JD has been true to his promise imo.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
IMO we don't need to win - we need to entertain. As long as we play the right way people will be there.
THe problem of the last 8 seasons or so is the team often didn't show up at all. Nothing like dropping $100 (or whatever) on tickets and having the team go thru the motions with no intensity. The attendance we see today (this season) is a reflection of the past.
Now I agree if we were winning it would cure everything, but this town will support a team that plays the right way.

Also the OSU argument is bad IMO. There is 100k+ there every home game. Doesn't matter if Cooper, Tressell, Urban or my Mom was the head coach. Winning helps but they would sell that place out most years anyways. And unlike the Jackets they won't accept mediocrity, if a coach wasn't recruiting or getting results they would be gone. The Jackets typically take an extra year to make a necessary move.

David, I'm not sure that you're old enough to remember back to the mid-60s, when the Bucks were not great and neither was attendance. The depth of support for them is undeniably deep, but at least some of it is based on continued excellence. A repeat of the fall taken back then and I suspect those 100,000+ crowds will dwindle. Hell, I'm not sure that their greed ( premium games?) hasn't already done damage.

Back on track: win and people will flock to the 'Wide.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: