GDT: Game 1: Caps vs. Blue Jackets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Pros:

• I completely was wrong about DSP, he plays amazing tonight. Even in OT I saw a guy bust his ass from glass to glass to stick check a pass and I was like "Who is moving that quick?" and it was DSP
  • Vrana is the key. Christ, if I said it once I said it a bajllion times, we will not beat CBJ by playing their game. We need to embrace the speed. At the times we fed our speed we looked dangerous. Drop Chiasson, add Gersich, keep Stephenson, and lets play with some damn legs!
  • Bura apparently save it all season for the first period. I was blown away by his performance first period, I felt like he was a man on fire, he faded in the second though.
Cons
  • We probably played 1/6th of this game on the PP and we did very little with that.
  • Ovechkin was absent all game.
  • Carlson is still thinking this is regular season hockey.
  • We are at best a push in 5 v 5 hockey. If we play like we did tonight for the rest of the series I give it to CBJ in 6.

Reactions: artilector

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Eh, I'm just happy it didn't take too long one way or the other, all those OT games took a bite out of the Caps last season in round two.

Not that I think the Caps are getting to round two. ;)

Sucks we have to wait until Sunday for game two and it's a day game to boot, that never goes well for the Capitals.

Oh yeah and now we have to listen to an extra day of, "the Jackets did what they needed to do, at least a split on the road". There is no sport on this planet where home ice/field means less than the NHL in the playoffs.
Sunday isn’t a day game.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
Gruby did fine. With Holtby in net, caps would've been down in the 1st.
This doesn't work in that situation. You wanted Grubby you got him for the playoffs, but now you can't use the Holtby excuse.

Knowing Trotz, if the Caps go down 2-0, he probably tries Holtby game 3.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Pros:

• I completely was wrong about DSP, he plays amazing tonight. Even in OT I saw a guy bust his ass from glass to glass to stick check a pass and I was like "Who is moving that quick?" and it was DSP
  • Vrana is the key. Christ, if I said it once I said it a bajllion times, we will not beat CBJ by playing their game. We need to embrace the speed. At the times we fed our speed we looked dangerous. Drop Chiasson, add Gersich, keep Stephenson, and lets play with some damn legs!
  • Bura apparently save it all season for the first period. I was blown away by his performance first period, I felt like he was a man on fire, he faded in the second though.
Cons
  • We probably played 1/6th of this game on the PP and we did very little with that.
  • Ovechkin was absent all game.
  • Carlson is still thinking this is regular season hockey.
  • We are at best a push in 5 v 5 hockey. If we play like we did tonight for the rest of the series I give it to CBJ in 6.

Kind of hoping they'll play the youth personally.

Reactions: Sam Spade

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
I also noticed a few times late in the 3rd where Vrana was being benched in favor of Connolly. Does this guy ever learn?

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
You can literally see the brisk passing stop, the serious forechecking stop with a lead. No goals unless there is a great individual play.

Trotz has ridden individual play all season. Anyone who is not his freaking relative can see that. He makes the game so easy for opponents.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
Why is it that our veterans stunk so bad this game..Nisky, Carlson, Ovie, etc..Backy, Oshie, had ups and downs..definitely not good for playoffs..why does this happen? Different coaches same thing. As a general rule not enough from the veterans every playoffs..keep trying to blame the secondary guys but that isn't the problem.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Sometimes I wonder if you guys watch the games. A lot of you seem to use this time to just further your personal player agendas.

I'll admit when I'm wrong about players. I thought 65 and DSP vastly exceeded my previous assumptions, they were largely part of the reason we were competitive. Vrana was dangerous at times, but also a liability too, he has so much potential though.

Carlson and Ov disappointed me. Ov was distant, and any time you're putting Carlson on the ice for that long and he's not shooting you're up shits creek.

I would keep Grubi next game, he played well. He gave up 2 PP goals, 1 ES, and 1 in OT. The ES was on a flukey play where the defense completely busted. He didn't really have the opportunity to make any freaky saves.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Really cant blame all top-6 much. Oshie definitely showed up, was engaged almost every shift. Backstrom as alwaysuseful and also two assists. Burakovky despite dumb penalty was one of our best forwards all night. Kuzy with two goals. Wilson with a great PK. The only question mark is Ovechkin. Looked heavy and puckhandling was brutal. Brooks Orpik-level brutal.

Reactions: shtorm2005

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
Ovie said on the press conference that they need to fix errors??? and they win. f***, how about to create scoring chances? no team can play error free game, you need to be opportunistic and create your own chances. when Columbus were very timid during the overtime, the caps instead of pressing and creating chances, decided be sleepy as well and timid. It's just to wait for other team to create an oppotunity

Reactions: RandyHolt

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
May talking up Bowey over Djoos. I was thinking that back in the 1st period. But I think its a broken nose for Kempny and maybe he plays. But the beak will be tender.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
You can literally see the brisk passing stop, the serious forechecking stop with a lead. No goals unless there is a great individual play.

Trotz has ridden individual play all season. Anyone who is not his freaking relative can see that. He makes the game so easy for opponents.

When have they not ridden individual play? BB made a career out of it here.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I haven’t been a proponent of breaking the core up, but should they lose this series I think it may be time.

What does this even mean anymore? The"core" is gone, only Ovechkin and Backstrom are left, although I guess you can count Carlson, but he's probably gone this summer.

Marge, Alzner, Green, Chimera, Brouwer, whoever was part of the previous core is gone. Unless you mean guys like Beagle (gone) Orpik (more than likely bought out), Niskanen, Orlov as the core guys? They aren't moving Ovechkin, Oshie or Backstrom and they've flipped 2/3 of the forwards last off season.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Are you new to the team? They have always been this way.

Maybe another new coach can get them to play hard for 60min? :help:
Nothing to do with playing hard and everything to do with strategy. If you think they made a conscious decision to take it easy you’re kidding yourself. Even May is saying they went into a prevent. Teams eventually reflect their coach.

Trotz is awful.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
If this group doesn't get by now not to turtle with the lead, they never will.

They're LOO-HOO-HA-SERS.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Ovi was garbage today. Coach needs to focus on the fastest players on the team
-Vrana
-Kuznetsov
- Burakovsky
- Orlov

And have those 4 guys as the game breakers.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Maybe. But give credit where credit is due, he was flying on a off angle and put it in a area the size of the puck
He turned Orlov inside out and it was a good shot but Grubauer did not play it well. I didn't think the played Vaneks pp goal very well either. Thought he should have blocked the pass. I need to take another look at it.

Reactions: blindsideheadshot

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
its funny that after last year i still dont really care when we lose

Me too, zero cares given.

I enjoyed this year, the team was fun to watch. My biggest/only disappointment will be the kids not getting games/ice time in these playoffs. I want Gersich in, Djoos, Barber even, eh, it is what it is.

But once Trotz isn't re-signed that should change next season, although if it is Reirdon who knows.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad