GDT: Game 1: Caps vs. Blue Jackets

Status
Not open for further replies.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Vrana and Burakovsky made some very poor decisions in this game. They didn't outplay anyone. If all our forwards played like them we would give up 10 goals a game.
Burakovsky outplayed a number of Capitals forwards tonight. As always, whatever brand of hockey you think you know doesn't seem to represent what works in the NHL today.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
Kuzy had some negatives too. I thought our best player tonight was Carlson.

Kuzy had some negatives too. I thought our best player tonight was Carlson.
Did he play? Only time I noticed him was on the power play when he passed the puck to Ovechkin and it took 12 seconds to arrive. I watched him alot and he just hung back and did not think offense one time..that was the game plan which was ridiculous..but he did not skate hard, hit anyone, just had the Caps glide. If we pay him next season that will be very stupid. I like him but he has too many of these games plus the Caps can't afford him.

Reactions: RandyHolt

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
LOL, your angle to defend Trotz. Burakovsky was phenomenal except for his penalty. And Vrana was dangerous in his 7 minutes.
Vrana was dangerous once. He made at least 3 terrible mistakes in our end that we got lucky on. That's why his ice time is limited. Burakovsky made some poor decisions too. Not just the penalty. Too many individual plays end up with a turnover.
Yes they both have skill but neither have great a great hockey IQ.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Did he play? Only time I noticed him was on the power play when he passed the puck to Ovechkin and it took 12 seconds to arrive. I watched him alot and he just hung back and did not think offense one time..that was the game plan which was ridiculous..but he did not skate hard, hit anyone, just had the Caps glide. If we pay him next season that will be very stupid. I like him but he has too many of these games plus the Caps can't afford him.
He was actually very solid defensively tonight. He wasn't on the ice for any if the goals and he really didn't make any bad mistakes. He might not have skated as hard as you think he should have but they were down a defence man so he was probably pretty tired from the extra minutes played. BTW he did have 3 assists in the game and none of those came when he was passing to Ovi. All 3 assists came from breakouts out of our zone.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
Vrana and Burakovsky made some very poor decisions in this game. They didn't outplay anyone. If all our forwards played like them we would give up 10 goals a game.
And didn't you rake me over the coals 6 weeks ago when I broke down Holtby and Gruby's game and I said Gruby was way better right now and you said I didn't know what I was talking about?

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Lets bench them then..ask the NHL for an exception and bring back Laich and Matt Cooke.
Lol Is that your best response. Let's get realistic. Vrana is a young skilled player that needs to work on his game. Of course we keep him and developed him. Burakovsky has had his chances. He has shown some signs of becoming a decent player and the Caps paid him for that but his game isn't improving. I think its time to part ways with him.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
And didn't you rake me over the coals 6 weeks ago when I broke down Holtby and Gruby's game and I said Gruby was way better right now and you said I didn't know what I was talking about?
Grubauer was playing better than Holtby down the stretch but Holtby is still the better goalie.
Do you realize that Grubauers stats are inflated a bit from playing a lot if offensively challenged team. He started 3 games against Buffalo. Wasn't Buffalo the 31st best team in the league.
I still think we started the wrong goalie tonight. I know Holtby has struggled this season but he us still our best chance of advancing in the playoffs.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Lol Is that your best response. Let's get realistic. Vrana is a young skilled player that needs to work on his game. Of course we keep him and developed him. Burakovsky has had his chances. He has shown some signs of becoming a decent player and the Caps paid him for that but his game isn't improving. I think its time to part ways with him.
No, it’s time to get a coach who has the slightest history of developing young forwards and molds a style and gameplay to fit his team’s talent. Rather than a guy who throws out squares because they don’t fit into round holes.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Vrana was dangerous once. He made at least 3 terrible mistakes in our end that we got lucky on. That's why his ice time is limited. Burakovsky made some poor decisions too. Not just the penalty. Too many individual plays end up with a turnover.
Yes they both have skill but neither have great a great hockey IQ.
You must have missed his first shift.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
5 shots in goal combined in 3rd and OT. They just aren't taught, or don't know how to play winning hockey.
Signature, almost impressive lack of both killer instinct and composure.

That is, first the chronic inability to step on neck when opponent is down, leading to razor-close games late, leading to the inevitable blown coverage or stupid penalty or crucial puck fumble in waning minutes.

Has happened under Trotz, under Hunter, under Boudreau.

Was even happening long before Ovie ever showed up (to wit, Easter Epic; the Nedved multi-OT goal; the Gonchar gift delivery to Straka).

Just a miserable four-plus decades of choking and underperforming.

To me it’s one reason to throw some more youth on the ice this time around - Gersich, Boyd, Vrana, Djoos, and so on. Guys who haven’t yet fully mastered the Caps Collapse playbook. Kids who don’t know enough to be scared.

It would be one thing if we just bowed out in this first round in 4 or 5 games. Since it’s the Caps, you know it’ll be much more complicated and drawn-out and heartbreaking. It ends with Game 7 loss at home against either CBJ or Pens. That much you can pretty well count on.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Meant to post this here, not in the series thread.

Recently got back from Cap1. Have only skimmed this page. Said this to anyone who would listen, nobody disagreed.
When they got up 2-0 and were on the verge of chasing Bob, they took the foot off the gas. Even the last part of the major their play became lackadaisical, cutesy. They acted like they were up 4-0 or more. Then Cbus got back into the game, and Bob settled down into "reg season" Bob.

When they tied it I knew it didn't look good. However the Caps had the edge early in the OT. Cbus first good counter and it's a goal.
The late calls on Tom and Bura were awful. Bura goes for the puck in a play that happens 100s of times in a game and the BJ drops like he was shot :mad:

Props to Kuzy and some other players.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
On a side note ... annoying to me that BMac got his fat extension before we even saw team’s playoff outcome this year. Feels like we’re getting to the point where we need a fully clean slate, from GM on down. Not sure why he gets a pass.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
On a side note ... annoying to me that BMac got his fat extension before we even saw team’s playoff outcome this year. Feels like we’re getting to the point where we need a fully clean slate, from GM on down. Not sure why he gets a pass.

Because talent isn't an issue for this team, nor ha the acquisition of talent been an issue for this team.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
Because talent isn't an issue for this team, nor ha the acquisition of talent been an issue for this team.

Teams with a lot less talent and a lot more hockey IQ go father every year. It’s not all about talent. The hockey IQ of this team is really way behind its talent level. Even Mike Babcock could not build a working system with this bunch. At times they look like they can’t even catch a pass.

Reactions: maacoshark

Herbert Lewis

FL to AK Bolts fan
Mar 16, 2018
Backstrom and Ovi just do not
play in crunch time. Do I lie?? Just an observation each and every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->