Post-Game Talk: Game #1 Blues vs. Pens Post Game Talk Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicholas89alex

Nov 16, 2012
This is too funny

ezgif-3-038b3750f2.gif

Im glad we won and can laugh at this

i wonder if maybe the puck got stuck in his glove or something because it looks like hes about to set it down right before he launches it.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Somebody really needs to do some gif work on the puck in this clip. Turn the puck into a grenade or potato or a W or something.

Should be a tennis ball. Looks like he's playing fetch with that Pens player. "Go get it boy".

I thought Allen played a bit too shallow on those point shots but the first one was a funky redirection. Hopefully he can improve, as I thought he looked just average tonight overall.

Dunn I thought looked good with the puck and I didn't really notice him much without the puck so I consider that a good game.

Loved the effort by the big D-men. Tanks going to have to pick it up next game, he was pretty invisible for a good chunk of this game. I'll take the 2 pts for sure though...

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Im glad we won and can laugh at this

i wonder if maybe the puck got stuck in his glove or something because it looks like hes about to set it down right before he launches it.
you can see the idea enter his mind. schenn had a thought, a very bad thought, and he did it

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Team looked better then i figured they would. They do look "faster and more aggressive

Thorburn f***ing sucks. Bring Barby it Megan in and never dress Thorburn again.

Also...how great is it going to be if Petro outscores Shattenkirk

Reactions: Mike Liut

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
There were stretches of time where I didn't breathe, but overall it was a good game.

I do think Barbashev and Megan help this team more than Thorburn and Upshall do. They provide everything those guys do + a lot more.

Allen made some strong saves but seemed to overcommit at times. Overall, he was ok.

I know Schenn was great but I still don't like his game at center. His defensive game isn't there and I think he's be better on the wing in general. However splitting up that line wouldn't do us any good and we should run with it while it's hot. Just insert Barbashev in Sundqvist spot and move Sundqvist in Thorcraps spot, and replace Upshall with Megan.

We can chip away each shift and manage tight wins until we have some health, we'll be in decent shape.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I thought Allen played a bit too shallow on those point shots but the first one was a funky redirection. Hopefully he can improve, as I thought he looked just average tonight overall.

Dunn I thought looked good with the puck and I didn't really notice him much without the puck so I consider that a good game.

Loved the effort by the big D-men. Tanks going to have to pick it up next game, he was pretty invisible for a good chunk of this game. I'll take the 2 pts for sure though...
That first goal was deflected off Thompson's stick out high and completely changed direction from shooters right to left. No chance for Allen on that one. Overall I agree Allen was pretty average. Biggest issue was over sliding a bit at times IMO. 1st goal: had no chance, 2nd goal: got beat by a seeing eye shot, 3rd goal: over slid, 4th goal: Gunnarson.

Dunn was really solid. He did not look like a rookie out there, which is a pretty big compliment. I thought he and Bortuzzo looked out of sync at times. Maybe they just need time to gel, but I am wary of them as a pairing. IF Dunn can handle it, would love to see him play some shifts with Colt (big IF...). This would have the added bonus of pushing Gunnar down to the bottom pairing (where he really belongs IMO). He and Bort was a pretty good bottom pairing towards the end of last year.

Gotta say, I thought Edmundson looked very good on the top pairing. To be fair, it might have just been how good Petro was haha. Ed had some smart well timed step-ups in the neutral zone and moved the puck well tho.

Thompson showed some good flashes but also stood out as a rookie at times. Whatever Yeo saw in that 3rd line during the preseason...let's just say it didn't carry over into the regular season. I thought they were bad at best and a liability at worst. Hopefully Barb rotates in and improves our 3rd line.

Sobotka and Stastny were fantastic. As were Schwartz and Schen (although Schenn had some very questionable decision making at times...and not just that ridiculous penalty).

4th line was really struggling early. Thought Upshall was pretty good all things considered and was helpful on the PK. Brodz was just OK. Thorburn...not good.

Reactions: taylord22

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I want a video of Schenn throwing that puck pronto.

Whoever can make that happen, I would be eternally grateful.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
4th line was really struggling early. Thought Upshall was pretty good all things considered and was helpful on the PK. Brodz was just OK. Thorburn...not good.
I'd like to see Thorburn sent to The AHL, Barbashev placed on The 3rd Line, and Pääjärvi dropped to The 4th. It's not like Thorburn kept Reaves from crippling The Blues' skilled players.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Good start. Team looked aggressive which I like. Pietrangelo was obviously a beast. The rest of the defense quietly did a solid job for the most part, I thought. Gunnarsson, Parayko, Edmundson, Dunn all looked fine.

Sobotka had a hell of a game and he can stay in the top 6. His skill level has really improved and he's a good playmaker.

Schwartz and Schenn is going to be a hell of a duo. Great game by them.

Thompson definitely has a lot of potential. He shows flashes. He's going to be a good NHL player some day.

I'd like to see these lines when Steen returns:

Sobotka-Stastny-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Thompson
Steen-Barbashev-Jaskin
Upshall-Sundqvist-Brodziak

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
I'm still cracking up at that Schenn penalty, like what was going through your mind Brayden
It happened a minute or so after the Doc and Pierre talked about Sunday night football and how good JJ Watt would be at playing hockey, must've gotten Schenn thinking he should show off how good he would be at football.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
thornburn was easily the worst player on the ice tonight

petro was the best

taylord22

Mar 30, 2009
Pretty much agree with every point STL76 makes. I was impressed with Dunn. His dynamic skating and ability to make small plays is probably what won him the job, and both were on display. But I walked away from the game surprised with how strong he was. He pinned Malkin along the boards for an extended period of time and exploded out of it laterally to get back in front of a play. He had a few gaffs, but recovered from them all.

Really disliked about everything the 3rd line did tonight. Sundqvist was great/good on the PK, but a really terrible pivot for two guys who need cleaner outlets. That job needs to be Barbies. Whatever message Yeo was trying to send, I hope it's over. Sundqvist, Megan, Upshall, Brodziak is a formidable 4th line rotation.

Thorburn was a mistake.

Lastly, Alex Pietrangelo needs to find better PR people. It's absurd how much we're subjected to hearing about other team's dmen...

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I wonder why the HF guys went with an another forum format. Forums in general are a dying breed because of their lack of performance, clogged layouts and stuff like this.
I kinda understand they had to preserve all the posts and stuff like this. But going to a worse forum performance and usability wise is a massive step back. I wonder if they suffer a traffic decline because of this migration.
The company that manages the forum is converting all their forums to Xenforo to standardize things for their IT people. Xenforo offers things like better media integration, better multi-platform compatibility, better managing tools, etc. "HF guys" didn't really have much choice in the matter.

It's probably going to take awhile to optimize all the settings and get things running smoothly. Things are still being added on, there's plenty of post-migration trouble-shooting to be done, bugs to be ironed out, etc. I'd suggest giving it awhile to settle in before passing judgment. This isn't the first time HF has had growing pains.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
lets hope for some lineup changes for the home opener

thigpen

Jun 6, 2011
SF Bay Area
Good start. Team looked aggressive which I like. Pietrangelo was obviously a beast. The rest of the defense quietly did a solid job for the most part, I thought. Gunnarsson, Parayko, Edmundson, Dunn all looked fine.

Sobotka had a hell of a game and he can stay in the top 6. His skill level has really improved and he's a good playmaker.

Thompson definitely has a lot of potential. He shows flashes. He's going to be a good NHL player some day.

Schwartz-Schenn-Thompson
Steen-Barbashev-Jaskin

Replace Upshall with Megan or Paajarvi and I can live with those lines. WTF was Yeo thinking putting Thorburn in the lineup, he and Reaves never even looked at each other. Upshall was serviceable in a pinch but there's a reason we let him walk - we have better options.

Tarasenko was a complete no-show, which was unfortunate as Sobotka was a frickin beast all night and gave that line every chance to succeed. Staz was pretty good too, so no excuse for Tank.

Schenn was good, I like him, but get Jaskin off the 2nd line, he just doesn't have the gas to keep up. Limit his minutes and he'll be fine.

The 3rd line spent too much time in their own zone early in the game but improved. I thought Paajarvi was the weak link but he was good on the PK. Tage was not outmatched by the speed of the NHL, count me as pleasantly surprised. Vince looked real good. Both those guys will only get better.

The late game meltdown was infuriating, typical Blues. I hope they learned that if you don't play a full 60, you will fail. Otherwise, good game by the team. Oh yeah, thank you Petro.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
i thought jaskin looked solid considering he was on the 2nd line. move him down a line to the 3rd or 4th and get him some better matchups and he might actually produce a bit.

Reactions: Blueston

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Replace Upshall with Megan or Paajarvi and I can live with those lines. WTF was Yeo thinking putting Thorburn in the lineup, he and Reaves never even looked at each other. Upshall was serviceable in a pinch but there's a reason we let him walk - we have better options.

Tarasenko was a complete no-show, which was unfortunate as Sobotka was a frickin beast all night and gave that line every chance to succeed. Staz was pretty good too, so no excuse for Tank.

Schenn was good, I like him, but get Jaskin off the 2nd line, he just doesn't have the gas to keep up. Limit his minutes and he'll be fine.

The 3rd line spent too much time in their own zone early in the game but improved. I thought Paajarvi was the weak link but he was good on the PK. Tage was not outmatched by the speed of the NHL, count me as pleasantly surprised. Vince looked real good. Both those guys will only get better.

The late game meltdown was infuriating, typical Blues. I hope they learned that if you don't play a full 60, you will fail. Otherwise, good game by the team. Oh yeah, thank you Petro.
We will see what Megan has but I like Upshall more than Paajarvi on the 4th-line tbh. They aren't going to score at very different clips and Upshall is way more physical and great on the PK. Still pretty quick too. I'm fine with him in there - it's just Thorburn who looked like a dinosaur and needs to sit. Paajarvi is a good extra forward who can fill in different roles when needed.

The Blues' team toughness should be fine without Thorbs. The signing wouldn't be a big deal if it was just for a year but the 2-year deal kinda sucks and doesn't make much sense. Sobotka, Schenn, Jaskin, Upshall, Brodziak, Barbashev, Edmundson, Bortuzzo and Dunn (and Prosser if he ever plays) are all guys that play physical and can stand up for teammates.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
With the deal he is on, afraid we are just banging our head against the wall regarding Thorburn.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.

Schwartz-Schenn-Thompson
Steen-Barbashev-Jaskin

I agree with your assessment of the game. However when Steen comes back, I would go with

Schwartz-Schenn-Tarasenko
Steen-Stastny-Sobotka
Jaskin-Barbashev-Thompson
Megan/Upshall-Brodziak-Paajarvi/Sundqvist

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I agree with your assessment of the game. However when Steen comes back, I would go with

Steen-Stastny-Sobotka
Jaskin-Barbashev-Thompson
Megan/Upshall-Brodziak-Paajarvi/Sundqvist

That’s a really inexperienced third line. Too much so for my taste and neither Steen nor Sobotka are natural RWs and Jaskin is.

Sobotka-Stastny-Thompson
Steen-Barbashev-Jaskin
Upshall/Megan/Paajarvi-Brodziak-Sundqvist

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
That’s a really inexperienced third line. Too much so for my taste and neither Steen nor Sobotka are natural RWs and Jaskin is.

Sobotka-Stastny-Thompson
Steen-Barbashev-Jaskin
Upshall/Megan/Paajarvi-Brodziak-Sundqvist

Thompson on Stastny’s wing would probably go over pretty well honestly. I know Stastny thrives with a RH RW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad