Post-Game Talk: Game #1 Blues vs. Pens Post Game Talk Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016

courtesy of r/hockey on reddit

id for this gyfcat is necessary hairy gazelle if anyone gets the reddit reference

I watch this and envision him saying in his head, "why hasn't anyone ever done this before, it's the easiest way to clear the zone!"

Reactions: BlueOil

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
i think he's just impulsive
I agree with this. It's obvious that he thinks ahead of the plays, I think maybe he just commits to what he's going to do and when something unexpected happens he doesn't always adjust accordingly.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
We've seen Backes do some pretty dumb stuff too, so it's really not that big of a deal. I have a problem with low hockey IQ, when players are missing assignments, like Yakupov would do.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
There were other examples last night of Schenn's lack of hockey IQ, or tendency to make bone-head plays. It is a common refrain from Flyers fans too. But it isn't that he has no hockey IQ. He's an interesting player. His IQ is just spotty or will leave him at times. However, as Blanick said, he does have a feel for the gaps in coverage. Not like Backes though. His bone-head plays were all born out of his temper and were even more annoying because they came at terrible times.

I like looking at the other players in the video. Schwartz just pulls up short and stops, I imagine with a shocked look on his face, and is like "yep that's a penalty". Petro is trying to say something, I imagine "Nooooooooo.....don't throw it". And Guennztel is clearly waving the refs to call a penalty, "hey stripes, he can't do that".

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
I agree with this. It's obvious that he thinks ahead of the plays, I think maybe he just commits to what he's going to do and when something unexpected happens he doesn't always adjust accordingly.
i would more say there's times he doesn't think through his plan and just hopes his reactions will work out, yeo will hopefully address this

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Of course it could just be that he grabbed it and saw the two Pens converging on him and locked up. He does look like he stops and contemplates for just a split second and then just commits to tossing it.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
3_17_1.jpg

Getting more scrutiny than any film since the spitting incident in the 90's

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Our beat reporter, Andy Strickland, noted that he was skating (broken hand, keeping legs fresh) and says it should be another week. This was a few days ago. Next weekend is reasonable I'd say.
Thanks a lot.

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
The main thing I noticed was that he defence has been unleashed. No more backing in. More joining the rush and shooting. I noticed a few times the near side defenceman played aggressive in the neutral zone instead of backing into our zone as they try to cross our blue line.

Overall I thought our D corps played well. Crosby-Malkin-Kessel PP did as they pleased though. There were a few gaffs here or there, also some nice offense. An example is Gunnarsson blowing an assignment for the backside wing on the PK, but also following the rush for a good team passing play on Schenn's goal.

I hope Petro and Parayko can keep their mojo. Petro was truly elite everywhere on the ice last night, and Parayko showed off his impressive skillset. I love Parayko's ability to take the puck from behind his net all the way out and to the other end.

Schenn is faster than I thought. He and Schwartz play at the same pace. Both looked great on the PK until the...incident.

I've noticed Tank throwing his body around a little more and doing a little more in his own end.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I just can't stop laughing at that Schenn play.

The amount of edits for that gif are endless. It's like a comedic goldmine.

Reactions: Itsnotatrap

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
I mentioned this in the game thread, but god bless the Thrashers/Jets for taking Bogosian over Petro in there draft year. If Petro goes three, our options at 4 are Bogosian, Luke Schenn, Nikita Filatov, and Colin Wilson. Thank you Jets.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
The Pens are my second team so I was over there lurking in their post game thread and I found the answer we all have been asking. What exactly was Schenn thinking lol, we here one user explains during a conversation about Reaves play last night

I forgot. He stood over Parayko after he ran Murray and then the Blues never threw another hit.

Also, he commanded Schenn throw a puck down the ice.

As you can clearly see that Reaves commanded it, lol sorry I thought pixiesfanyo's post was great sarcasm and wanted to share it here. Reaves still entertaining Blues fans

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
The Pens are my second team so I was over there lurking in their post game thread and I found the answer we all have been asking. What exactly was Schenn thinking lol, we here one user explains during a conversation about Reaves play last night

As you can clearly see that Reaves commanded it, lol sorry I thought pixiesfanyo's post was great sarcasm and wanted to share it here. Reaves still entertaining Blues fans

Interesting phraseology there by the Pens poster, talking about Parayko running Murray. Never mind that Cole drove him into the crease. Is that how their board saw that play, that Parayko "ran" Murray?

Reactions: RoarBacon

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
After re-watching the game here are some things I saw and the lineup I wanna see next game.

Sunqvist is good at defense Not high on his offense tho.
Jaskin is still playing really well from his preseason, hopefully he's finally coming into his own.
Not a fan of the Sobe-Stas-Tank combo, but, until Steen returns idk what else to do.
Schwartz-Schenn is gonna be dirty, like 60+points each dirty.
Tage isn't ready, but putting him on a line with Sun+PRV was a horrible idea. If they wanted to make him stand out he should have LW with Stas-Tank or RW with Schwartz-Schenn.
Brodziak and Ups are still a solid 4th liners, Thorburn shouldn't even be in the NHL.
Ed and Pie is a very good pairing, kind hoping they put Jbo with Colt.
Gunner..... Gunner is still Gunner.
Bort played well.
Allen did well besides him flopping around at the end after Schenn's highly hilarious softball pitch out of the zone.
I'm so glad Dunn is playing well, he didn't look out of place at all, he looks better than Gunner out there. But, that's not exactly had to do.

Sobotka-Stastny-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Thompson
PRV-Barbashev-Jaskin
Sunqvist-Brodziak-Megan

Edmundson-Pietrangelo
Gunnerson-Parayko
Dunn-Bortuzzo

Allen
Hutton

Reactions: BlueDream

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
All in all, I was pretty happy with Allen's game last night. He still doesn't fight to see through crowds enough for my liking, but he didn't have much of a chance on the 1st two goals. best case scenario, he still would have picked up the shots late and almost certainly wouldn't have caught up to them. On the plus side, he didn't just guess and slide the wrong way like Steve Mason did against the Leafs last night.

He's still having some issues tracking pucks in to his glove and he got himself a bit out of control at times. With that said, he battled through on a night where he clearly wasn't at the very top of his game and made some nice saves. He recovered nicely from most of his mistakes and I think every goal would have gone in last night even if he had played everything perfectly.

For what it's worth, I think he outplayed Matt Murray. Murray got beat on clean, untipped shots from the high slot 4 times last night. There was traffic for a couple, but not nearly the traffic Allen faced on the 1st two goals he allowed. I'll take the goals Allen allowed over the goals Murray allowed every night.

Reactions: JoshFromMO

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Something else i noticed with Dunn on a few plays we don't see from the left side. He had the ability to back off the pens at their blue line. His ability to hold the line and make plays will be a god send from that side. I hope he starts to rachet in the offense as he gets comfortable

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Moving forward, I'm content keeping Jaskin in the 2RW spot if he can continue playing like he did last night. At least until Steen comes back. He vanished as the night went on, but his 1st period was fantastic. Even when he stopped having a direct impact in the offensive zone, he was steady and reliable defensively (which is kind of becoming a given with him). I'm satisfied with that type of contribution out of whoever plays with Schenn/Schwartz. I thought the 2nd line was by far our best line last night and it was by no means in spite of Jaskin.

It's been beaten to death that Thorburn was terrible, but I though Brodziak played well below his standard last night as well. His "I'm not going to block the shot, but I'll make sure to completely screen my goalie" play on their 2nd goal was pretty out of character for him. I thought Upshall was the best player on the 4th line last night. I've been penciling in Brodziak as the full time 4th line center, but after last night I wouldn't be against the coaching staff creating a competition for the 4C role between him and Sundqvist. From what I saw last night, Sundqvist could excel in a defensive role and I really, really want to see Barby in the 3C spot.

I thought Dunn absolutely looked like a rookie for the first half of the game, but that should be expected. The good far outweighed the bad and he generally did a pretty good job cleaning up his mistakes. He needs to be ready to accept a breakout pass earlier, but that is mostly a timing thing that should be easy enough to figure out when he gets used to NHL speed.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Jaskin drew two penalties on Crosby and his hit on the Pens defender was the reason we scored the first goal. Definitely faded as the game progressed but some shining moments for him.

I thought Brodziak did really well on the PK, especially on the 5-on-3. The Pens ended up scoring on it but Brodziak did a solid job at killing a good portion of it.

I'm pretty bland on Paajarvi. I get that he's fast and all, but he doesn't utilize it effectively and he doesn't have much of a presence in either end of the rink. I'd rather see Barbashev or Megan in his spot.

Also, Thorburn sucks.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
With Mason exploding for the Jets last night, maybe we can trade Binnington and give back Thorburn for a 2018 3rd? Quick, someone do a Jedi mind trick on their GM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad