GDT: Game 1: Avs @ Rangers - Thursday, October 5th, 5pm MT - We Get Hockey Again!

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
On a brighter note, Duchene sounds pretty focused in his pre game interview. Hopefully it translates to his game, I could see him coming out flying.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Mironov was apparently bad in the pre-season and the guy that took the top four left spot was someone they picked up off waivers - who hasn't played a game for the team - so the "I like the mentality of rewarding good play" thing doesn't quite work.

Well if you saw all the games I'll just have to give you the benefit of the doubt since I did not. Though even then, it might be that Bednar evaluates players differently than you do and additionally takes in account to what goes on in practice. I will not believe that they're "punishing him for holding out". If that ever turns out to be true, I will stop following this franchise.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Zadorov looked like crap in the televised game so I’m not completely shocked.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Zadorov looked like crap in the televised game so I’m not completely shocked.
He looked fine in the streamed game against Minnesota and led the team in possession in the mysterious Dallas game, played almost 22 minutes in both. If it's conditioning I wish they would just say it. The whole team got caved in against Vegas.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
It takes two to create a holdout. If he's flat out of shape then just say that. Otherwise being behind isn't exactly under his full control.

I get the earn your spot and all that but Mironov did not show that he's any better at this point either. Plus also a guy that hasn't ever practiced with the team.

Mars posted that Bednar flat out said "no" when asked about Z being out of shape.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Bednar has never said conditioning. Chambers even asked if Z came to camp out of shape. Bednar said no. He may be out of shape and they're just not saying it, but they haven't explicitly said it.
I'm positive he said something about Z's conditioning last week but maybe I'm wrong. It's possible he said something about him "catching up" as he did today and I interpreted it has conditioning.

Either way I don't see how it could be a systems/practice issue when they have Nemeth playing.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
My guess is Bednar has decided to be a hardass this season and this is the first bullet shot. Easy target since not being at camp at the start due to the negotiation.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I feel like I've seen people here (people who've played hockey at a competitive level) use the phrase "There's a difference between being 'in shape' and being 'in hockey shape'" (or some variation of that).

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm positive he said something about Z's conditioning last week but maybe I'm wrong. It's possible he said something about him "catching up" as he did today and I interpreted it has conditioning.

Either way I don't see how it could be a systems/practice issue when they have Nemeth playing.
He never did, chambers said it.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I feel like I've seen people here (people who've played hockey at a competitive level) use the phrase "There's a difference between being 'in shape' and being 'in hockey shape'" (or some variation of that).
Major, major difference between the two. Not sure if it has anything to do with Z or this situation. But speaking out loud, there's a huge difference between being in shape and being in hockey shape.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
How much stuff did Zadorov actually miss? I know he signed the day after camp started so there was maybe one or two days there, plus any pre-camp stuff the team did. Aside from that, clearly he's been sat on the beach all summer. Please.
He had to wait a week after he signed to get his work visa so he missed half of preseason

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Of course there's a difference between being in shape and being in hockey shape but I don't know if that's actually the case here. He's not sucking wind out there.

The reason I have an issue with this is Patrik Nemeth. Guy has been here less than a week and gets a top-4 look on opening night while Z is scratched? Are you kidding me? That's why I don't like this nor do I agree.

It goes back to what I said in the Nemeth thread about favouring a waiver pickup over your own internal options. It sends the wrong message and IMO, does NOTHING positive.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Major, major difference between the two. Not sure if it has anything to do with Z or this situation. But speaking out loud, there's a huge difference between being in shape and being in hockey shape.

Ok, so it's possible it could be in relation to that.

Look, I don't want to be in a position to even offer up a half-assed defense of Jared Bednar (because I don't think he's a good coach, at all), but perhaps we (the board as a collective) should cool it down a bit here. Zadorov missed some time between his holdout and getting his visa situation worked out, just because he played games near the end of the pre-season doesn't mean he's automatically caught up. Am I disappointed that he's scratched to start the year? Sure am, but I feel it could be related to him just not quite being in "hockey shape".

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Is he on the rampage roster? (Just wondering if maybe he was claimed by some miracle).
More likely:

latest

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
Don't understand the Z move, but I feel like there's very little than can happen this season that will get me riled up - worst case scenario we're in the race for Dahlin and perhaps some of the problems above the player level end up moving on - best case the over preform and are more fun to watch than expected.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Scratching Z? GD you Bednar. My excitement level for tonight went down quite a bit. Barberio on the top pariring... oof...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad