GDT: Game 1: Avs @ Rangers - Thursday, October 5th, 5pm MT - We Get Hockey Again!

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
I guess the only thing we can hope to come out of this is a catalyst moment for Z, like Barrie had the season he finally stuck in the lineup after getting demoted to SA.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Their pre-season decisions make no sense to me at this point. They played Lindholm with EJ several times - sent Lindholm down. Played Z some decent minutes, scratched. Played Barberio with Mironov for 4 straight games, scratched him a couple times - top pairing, opening night. Barrie's partner? Hasn't played a game with the team. I mean...what was even the point of the pre-season if they aren't going with any of the pairings they tried during it? Decided all the pairings sucked so badly that the Bednar Blender was going to kick off opening night?
It's as if Bednar doesn't know what he's doing.

Reactions: S3rkie

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
What's everybody freaking out about. Zadorov showed up out of shape. No coach is going to have that. Yes he's one of our best defenseman but let's not act like he's Lidstrom and should get a pass. I love Zadorov but I have no issue with this decision by Bednar.

Zadorov showing up out of shape is just as disappointing as Bednar being an idiot.

Though, I guess everyone is blaming Bednar.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Yeah the only message being sent by scratching Zadorov is that Bednar is not an NHL coach. I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt, but for a guy like Zadorov who already plays with fire and has on ice decision making issues, you are not going to motivate him by scratching him on the first game of the season. Unless they are going with the "he missed some of training camp due to holding out, he is a few days behind" excuse. But yes, lets see how the avs do with 2 top 4 nhl defenseman, 1 legitimate third pairing guy in Barbs, and then 3 rookies in Lindholm, Bigras, and Mironov. This will go swimmingly.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
What's everybody freaking out about. Zadorov showed up out of shape. No coach is going to have that. Yes he's one of our best defenseman but let's not act like he's Lidstrom and should get a pass. I love Zadorov but I have no issue with this decision by Bednar.
Well, according to TMV, he didn't look out of shape when Bednar was bag skating the team.

Maybe he's not up to speed with what Bednar wants but I just don't think this is the right decision. Not at all.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

It's the Avs board, people will find anything to complain about :laugh: not to mention Zads is one of the golden boys around here.

You're absolutely right. Zads is the one who should be scratched right now and it's really not a big deal that he is. Hopefully it sets a fire under him and he actually starts playing the way he should be playing.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Chambers has video up and Bednar never says the word conditioning. He just says Z came to camp late and has catching up to do.
Pretty sure Bednar has said conditioning in a prior interview though. Catching up is probably a mix of everything, including conditioning.

As dumb as Bednar is I highly doubt he would say Z has some catching up to do and sit him out because he was late getting to camp while he plays Patrick Nemeth on his second pair after just one practice. Even the dumbest of dumb wouldn't be that hypocritical to the media.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Pretty sure Bednar has said conditioning in a prior interview though. Catching up is probably a mix of everything, including conditioning.

As dumb as Bednar is I highly doubt he would say Z has some catching up to do and sit him out because he was late getting to camp while he plays Patrick Nemeth on his second pair after just one practice.
Bednar has never said conditioning. Chambers even asked if Z came to camp out of shape. Bednar said no. He may be out of shape and they're just not saying it, but they haven't explicitly said it.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO

As dumb as Bednar is I highly doubt he would say Z has some catching up to do and sit him out because he was late getting to camp while he plays Patrick Nemeth on his second pair after just one practice. Even the dumbest of dumb wouldn't be that hypocritical to the media.
Just watched the video, might just be me but Bednar doesn't seem to have an ounce of confidence in his answers. I can't imagine him getting the team fired up in the locker room. I'd pay to see that.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Either way, after being at practice I had a feeling it was coming. He was rotating in yesterday so it was in question, and then he stayed late with Pratt. They may be trying to light a fire under him but we'll see where this goes.

The Avs now have 3 pairs that didn't play a second together in preseason. This should be interesting to watch.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
So Nemeth jumps into the top 4 with one practice, and it doesn't appear to be about conditioning. Could they just be punishing Zadorov for holding out on his contract?

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Either way, after being at practice I had a feeling it was coming. He was rotating in yesterday so it was in question, and then he stayed late with Pratt. They may be trying to light a fire under him but we'll see where this goes.

The Avs now have 3 pairs that didn't play a second together in preseason. This should be interesting to watch.
Not to mention one pairing is straight rookies...who can't communicate with each other :laugh:.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
"Condition" =/= "conditioning," although the notion that Zadorov is somehow less capable of playing than Nemeth is obviously nonsense, so it's bullshit whichever excuse Bednar wants to use or whatever Dater wants to say. If alienating key players and effectively sabotaging the team's on-ice success expedites Bednar's disappearance from the team then I suppose it's a price worth paying, but in the meantime I find it completely impossible to believe Zadorov isn't capable of playing in this game tonight.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
May his desire to be somewhere else be stronger than his desire to feel sorry for himself.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
So Nemeth jumps into the top 4 with one practice, and it doesn't appear to be about conditioning. Could they just be punishing Zadorov for holding out on his contract?

No they aren't. That is a ridiculous conspiracy theory.

Sucks to hear bad news, I think we all want Zadorov to succeed, but I do like the mentality of rewarding good play. Happy for whoever got his spot (Mironov?)

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Scratching Z means Bednar hulking up? If you don't play by my rules your don't play at all kind of BS? No problem with that, i just wish he had the balls last year with Iggy or Beauch.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It takes two to create a holdout. If he's flat out of shape then just say that. Otherwise being behind isn't exactly under his full control.

I get the earn your spot and all that but Mironov did not show that he's any better at this point either. Plus also a guy that hasn't ever practiced with the team.

Avs44

May 16, 2011

Sucks to hear bad news, I think we all want Zadorov to succeed, but I do like the mentality of rewarding good play. Happy for whoever got his spot (Mironov?)

Mironov was apparently bad in the pre-season and the guy that took the top four left spot was someone they picked up off waivers - who hasn't played a game for the team - so the "I like the mentality of rewarding good play" thing doesn't quite work.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
How much stuff did Zadorov actually miss? I know he signed the day after camp started so there was maybe one or two days there, plus any pre-camp stuff the team did. Aside from that, clearly he's been sat on the beach all summer. Please.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

And you know this how? You Sakic defenders are hilarious. Look at Ya, spinning this in a way that someone else earned the spot, as oppose to Zadorov losing it which is obviously the case.

If you think it's ridiculous that an org would punish a guy for holding out from camp then you clearly don't understand team sports.

And calm down with your conspiracy theory theory BS. It was just a simply question.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
As much as it doesn't makes sense it gives the youngs guys a chance to show what they have in a real game. If any one of them plays like shit they'll be riding the pine the next game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad