Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I wish we still had Paul Maurice as our coach, as he is doing a fantastic job in Florida. Love his system and physical style and always been a fan and believer.

"Never say never to a Paul Maurice coached team" was my motto when he was behind the Leafs bench.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Glad they let Keefe go. A year too late imo. Not sure what was available last summer, but I feel it was a wasted year of serviceable Rielly and Tavares. They will both be average players next season.

It’s one thing to fire the coach, but you need a better one coming in. You could argue a Monkey could coach the Leafs to the regular season finish over the last 6 years. Keefe is a good coach, but not an excellent coach. It’s not enough. Need Berube as top choice.

Marner can fetch a handsome return . Doing it in Dec when he’s on pace for 100 points is the time to do it. He’s an outstanding regular season player. He might be the jumpstart a rebuilding/retooling team needs. Multiple High picks and prospects are hopeful returns. Or a mid-twenties stud defenceman (less likely to find a match)

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I wish we still had Paul Maurice as our coach, as he is doing a fantastic job in Florida. Love his system and physical style and always been a fan and believer.

"Never say never to a Paul Maurice coached team" was my motto when he was behind the Leafs bench.
One of the most articulate coaches in the sports business.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

He never had the horses to get the job done when he coached in Toronto.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
It's an interesting read

Essentially Berube won with a talented, big, mobile D that could score and 4 deep lines upfront. Also got steady goaltending from Binnington. Which is basically the polar opposite of the current state Leafs
Nice read but some perspective is needed. We don’t have the big D nor the hounds on offence to play that dog on a bone style. We don’t have a Binnington. We have a goalie who gets injured if someone skates by him. Rielly would be a #4 on that defence, his style isn’t conducive to what Berube wants. Marner is soft as butter and Tavares skates slower than ROR. If we can get rid of these three and bring in players suited to Berube’s style, then I can see him being a good fit.

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Nice read but some perspective is needed. We don’t have the big D nor the hounds on offence to play that dog on a bone style. We don’t have a Binnington. We have a goalie who gets injured if someone skates by him. Rielly would be a #4 on that defence, his style isn’t conducive to what Berube wants. Marner is soft as butter and Tavares skates slower than ROR. If we can get rid of these three and bring in players suited to Berube’s style, then I can see him being a good fit.
Like bringing in a Chris Pronger?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It's an interesting read

Essentially Berube won with a talented, big, mobile D that could score and 4 deep lines upfront. Also got steady goaltending from Binnington. Which is basically the polar opposite of the current state Leafs

I think the bigger note is how Armstrong really wasn't able to keep above the water in mixing up his talent and making his additions, that was the whole point. Little by little they lost a lot of their identity, lost a lot of talent overall (especially on defense) and it's hard to recover from that. A coach does need to adjust and get the most of players though so I think he does deserve some criticism.

It will likely be a priority for the Leafs to not screw up with their defense again. There are plenty of good names potentially heading to free agency. They need to get it right. I think Woll will be more than fine, but maybe I'm just optimistic.

The Blues had plenty of soft players on that team. JT would have been 3rd in scoring that season on that team with 65 points.

Last edited:
Reactions: Da Cool Rula

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I think the bigger note is how Armstrong really wasn't able to keep above the water in mixing up his talent and making his additions, that was the whole point. Little by little they lost a lot of their identity, lost a lot of talent overall (especially on defense) and it's hard to recover from that. A coach does need to adjust and get the most of players though so I think he does deserve some criticism.

It will likely be a priority for the Leafs to not screw up with their defense again. There are plenty of good names potentially heading to free agency. They need to get it right. I think Woll will be more than fine, but maybe I'm just optimistic.
I know the point was to blame Armstrong but my lens goes to the fit we're interested in. Truthfully I couldn't tell you much about Berube as a coach

Reactions: SprDaVE

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Good post bro. Perhaps they can bring in some more physical players along with a puck moving PP defenceman & a veteran goalie to backup Woll. Maybe I'm asking too much.
I also think a guy like Matthews would flourish under him. We saw how he stepped it up physically playing with Domi & Bert. Even Willie was dishing the hits. JT & Marner I don't think have it in them but if could add someone to their line that does we might survive another year.

Reactions: CincoHolio

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
annie wilkes for coach. she wouldn't put up with any cockadoodie b*llshit

marner gets lazy on bostons game winning goal.... broken ankles

coachwilkes.jpg

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Like bringing in a Chris Pronger?

It's a sad reminder of how incompetent Leaf management has been over the years...Leafs could have gotten Pronger after he wanted out of Edmonton for Kaberle and Steen I believe...would have changed Leafs' fortunes then...and then years later, there's a chance to get Pietroangelo as an FA, but nope, he signs with Vegas and goes on to win a Cup.

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
It's a sad reminder of how incompetent Leaf management has been over the years...Leafs could have gotten Pronger after he wanted out of Edmonton for Kaberle and Steen I believe...would have changed Leafs' fortunes then...and then years later, there's a chance to get Pietroangelo as an FA, but nope, he signs with Vegas and goes on to win a Cup.
Yup I remember it well. Crazy mgmt. I lived through the later years of Conne Smyth & then Harold Ballard.... sigh.

Reactions: Superstar

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Yup I remember it well. Crazy mgmt. I lived through the later years of Conne Smyth & then Harold Ballard.... sigh.
I hear you brother, I had the misfortune of living through the Ballard years. Dark times indeed.

One of the craziest things this team did was not signing Wayne Gretzky in 1996 (only the second best player in the history of the NHL, Orr is first) when he wanted to come here, Fletcher wanted him here, but the cost cutting people in charge at the time (I believe it was Stavro who nixed it) decided they couldn't do it. In the next 2 years only Jagr and Selanne had more points. Mindboggling.

Reactions: CaptainCrunch17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad