Not open for further replies.

GCB2000

Feb 19, 2010
Well Wilson left himself with very little room for a contract to Galiardi
Based on the following assumptions
Kennedy @2.0M
Stalock @600K
Acolatse/Tennyson step in as the 7th D

He left the sharks with $1M of cap space for a forward to round out the roster. Most of us assume this will be Hertl if he is as good as promised so there really isn't any room for Galiardi

If DW believes Havlat will be out for the year, I hope he would go big and offer a FA top 6 proven forward up to $5M per year on 1 year deal. Options include (Iginla, Lecavalier, Elias, Alfredsson, Jagr, Horton, etc)

If Havlat is not out for the year then when he was healthy they would need to clear space for him to rejoin the team. If they do sign Galiardi to fill in for Havlat then they will need to clear salary equal to TJ's cap hit when Havlat is healthy. Hertl would be the only option since all other forwards are on 1-way contract.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Wonder if there was a discussion of Peverly for Galiardi at the draft. He is a 30-40 point forward with a bit less speed and a bit more size than Galiardi. Also more of a playmaker.

Boston saves cap room while getting a younger/cheaper bottom-six option that plays a gritty (albeit lighter) game.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Why does he need to stop? Hes right. TJ isn't anything special at all. If he takes the Sharks to arbitration again they will trade him or let him walk.

Because he does this every thread. "Player X isn't anything special. Bring in player y (who is a marginal upgrade at best.)

It's not exactly simple to get a player the team needs. If we went after Korpikoski, we'd have to give up a 2nd at least in trade, because Wilson does not like to sign offer sheets; the only exception was Hjalmarsson who plays for a team whose GM Wilson didn't like. We don't have a lot of spare assets outside of draft picks, and we shouldn't be giving up any picks. The more pressing need for this current team (outside of the prospect pool) is an F2 who plays wing. Galiardi is a fine F1 and grinder and doesn't bring much less to a team than Korpikoski would, if anything at all. It would be a horribly stupid move to get rid of Galiardi for nothing (I doubt he'd get much) and then replace him by giving up assets to acquire a player like Korpikoski.

It's a bad idea. We need an F2, not a shiny new toy that isn't much better than the old one we'd give away for free.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Wonder if there was a discussion of Peverly for Galiardi at the draft. He is a 30-40 point forward with a bit less speed and a bit more size than Galiardi. Also more of a playmaker.

Boston saves cap room while getting a younger/cheaper bottom-six option that plays a gritty (albeit lighter) game.

Wasn't he a buyout candidate? Was god awful in the playoffs too. Don't really want him, but he is an F2 so I guess if it was the right deal. Not for gali though.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Because he does this every thread. "Player X isn't anything special. Bring in player y (who is a marginal upgrade at best.)

It's not exactly simple to get a player the team needs. If we went after Korpikoski, we'd have to give up a 2nd at least in trade, because Wilson does not like to sign offer sheets; the only exception was Hjalmarsson who plays for a team whose GM Wilson didn't like. We don't have a lot of spare assets outside of draft picks, and we shouldn't be giving up any picks. The more pressing need for this current team (outside of the prospect pool) is an F2 who plays wing. Galiardi is a fine F1 and grinder and doesn't bring much less to a team than Korpikoski would, if anything at all. It would be a horribly stupid move to get rid of Galiardi for nothing (I doubt he'd get much) and then replace him by giving up assets to acquire a player like Korpikoski.

It's a bad idea. We need an F2, not a shiny new toy that isn't much better than the old one we'd give away for free.

What does the Sharks needing an F2 have to do with T.J. being on the block?

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
What does the Sharks needing an F2 have to do with T.J. being on the block?

Because if they give up TJ, they will not get many assets, but they will need a replacement. To get the replacement, they will give up assets. Assets they won't be able to use to acquire an F2, because those assets were used on a marginal TJ upgrade (Korpikoski, in the case of Audio Outlaw's fantasizing.)

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Well Wilson left himself with very little room for a contract to Galiardi
Based on the following assumptions
Kennedy @2.0M
Stalock @600K
Acolatse/Tennyson step in as the 7th D

He left the sharks with $1M of cap space for a forward to round out the roster. Most of us assume this will be Hertl if he is as good as promised so there really isn't any room for Galiardi

If DW believes Havlat will be out for the year, I hope he would go big and offer a FA top 6 proven forward up to $5M per year on 1 year deal. Options include (Iginla, Lecavalier, Elias, Alfredsson, Jagr, Horton, etc)

If Havlat is not out for the year then when he was healthy they would need to clear space for him to rejoin the team. If they do sign Galiardi to fill in for Havlat then they will need to clear salary equal to TJ's cap hit when Havlat is healthy. Hertl would be the only option since all other forwards are on 1-way contract.
If you havlat is gonna go on LT IR. And come back at some point. Signing Galiardi even though it will put them a little over the cap Is a lot easier to do than what you're proposing. I too would love to sign a big top six free agent at four 5 million but the truth is when and if Havlat comes back they want have a little room. if they do sign Galiardi they might be a half million million over the can get another forward for a couple million and have a little leeway in case anything happens you don't want to be pushed up against the Cap if when if havlat comes back. And shoot is by the time Habla comes back you won't need to move around salary for Galiardi because that would salary is prorated. You might play a quarter this season at most which would be around 1.25 million. Which would give them 3.75 million and Galiardi is gonna cost significantly less than that so they won't have to move salary to make it work

Last edited:

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Because if they give up TJ, they will not get many assets, but they will need a replacement. To get the replacement, they will give up assets. Assets they won't be able to use to acquire an F2, because those assets were used on a marginal TJ upgrade (Korpikoski, in the case of Audio Outlaw's fantasizing.)

If T.J. goes to arb. again then hes traded or let go. His value is nearly zero so like you said he won't bring in anything in a trade. The org probably feels he can be replaced from within.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
If the Sharks spend over the cap then Havlat is not coming back before the playoffs. Plain and simple. They won't do it if they don't know, if they do know, they'll spend it.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
If the Sharks spend over the cap then Havlat is not coming back before the playoffs. Plain and simple. They won't do it if they don't know, if they do know, they'll spend it.

Exactly signing galiardi won't hurt them unless Havlat is going to start the season. More than likely he's gonna miss more than half the season which is 2.5 million and salary which is less than Galiardi will cost they can make it work and they won't have to move pieces when and if havlat is healthy

Audio Outlaw

Jaded Sharks Fan
Aug 1, 2011
Bay Area, CA
It's good Gene. 88 and I do not agree on anything, ever. We seem to value different skillets when it comes to selecting players. Bye bye Galiardi, hello Kennedy!

This was an interesting trade. I was close to finding it. I was looking at Cooke and/or Kunitz. Not sure how I missed Kennedy.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
TJ Hooker is replaceable, remember Cagney and Lacey:naughty:

Still waiting on a report from anyone stating the "recovery time" of Havlats surgery/injury..Praying his recovery time is 12months:yo:

glasgow26

Jul 17, 2007
San Francisco
You know, I think moving Galiardi might have been the plan since the end of the season. I'm not sure that acquiring Kennedy is what makes TJ expendable in DW's mind. I think, after reading his comments on Sheppard, that DW is expecting Sheppard to take Galiardi's place on the team. Not that I agree with him, but I just get that feeling.

When you think about it, it kind of makes sense. Trading for Kennedy, adding Hertl to the mix AND bringing Galiardi back pushes Sheppard out of the lineup. I know DW doesn't set the lines, but my sense is that he wants Sheppard to take on an expanded role next season, not sit in the press box.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010

Still waiting on a report from anyone stating the "recovery time" of Havlats surgery/injury..Praying his recovery time is 12months:yo:

Oh he will be at least a playoff time don't worry about that. if it looks like he's gonna come back any sooner Thornton will just leave a water bottle in front of his locker havlat Will get reinjured and he'll be out for the remaining part of the season were good

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You know, I think moving Galiardi might have been the plan since the end of the season. I'm not sure that acquiring Kennedy is what makes TJ expendable in DW's mind. I think, after reading his comments on Sheppard, that DW is expecting Sheppard to take Galiardi's place on the team. Not that I agree with him, but I just get that feeling.

When you think about it, it kind of makes sense. Trading for Kennedy, adding Hertl to the mix AND bringing Galiardi back pushes Sheppard out of the lineup. I know DW doesn't set the lines, but my sense is that he wants Sheppard to take on an expanded role next season, not sit in the press box.

It'll depend on where they put Burns.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Yes. If Galiardi is truly being moved I can only think the burns would stay at forward otherwise I don't see the point unless I gonna flip Galiardi for a better top six Forward Which obviously the sharks would have to add significantly to get one

Arrch

Apr 11, 2011

We need Sheppard's skillset more than Galiardi's. We have enough of F1s, even without Galiardi and Burns of front: Marleau, Torres, Kennedy. Our only F2s are Thornton, Havlat and Sheppard. Not sure if Hertl is an F2 or F3.

glasgow26

Jul 17, 2007
San Francisco

True, and Havlat's status will be a factor as well. Personally, I don't expect Havlat to ever suit up for the Sharks again. Either way, it'll be interesting to see how the forward lines end up next season. Right now, it's something like this (assuming Hertl sticks, Burns plays forward, Havlat is out, and Galiardi stays):

Galiardi - Thornton - Burns
Marleau - Couture - Hertl
Torres - Pavelski - Kennedy
Desjardins - Burish - Wingels (positions are interchangeable here, as all three can play center)

With Sheppard as the 13th. Like I said though, I think the plan is to have Sheppard getting regular minutes, and I'd imagine they want Wingels getting more ice time as well. If that's the case, they might trade Galiardi for a pick/prospect and put Burns back on D, allowing Kennedy to slide into the top six and Sheppad/Wingels to get regular ice time. Of course, this all assumes that DW doesn't go out and acquire another forward.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
If T.J. goes to arb. again then hes traded or let go. His value is nearly zero so like you said he won't bring in anything in a trade. The org probably feels he can be replaced from within.

Don't agree here at all. Who can replace him from within? And why just let him go if his value is nearly zero? There's a lot of cap space and I don't see why they should let a top-9 winger go. It's not like we're full of top-9 wingers. I don't see why we should try to replace him.

It's good Gene. 88 and I do not agree on anything, ever. We seem to value different skillets when it comes to selecting players. Bye bye Galiardi, hello Kennedy!

This was an interesting trade. I was close to finding it. I was looking at Cooke and/or Kunitz. Not sure how I missed Kennedy.

I wouldn't say Kennedy is better than Galiardi. He's new and he's never worn teal before, but that doesn't mean he's suddenly better. Galiardi proved this year that he can play F1 on one of the top-2 lines on a team, he's a fast winger which we need. He played very well with Burns and the guys in the locker room like him.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
I knw we probably can't get rid of Burish. But a gali thirnton burns. Marleau couture hertl/ Kennedy. Torres pavs hertl/ Kennedy. With Shepard desi wingels Would be pretty awesome even if we couldn't had anyone else which I'm hoping we can still add a forward somewhere. I Kennedy pavs hertl could be good too. Have Torres with marleau couture. Point is we got to keep Galiardi.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

So you just want him to be injured for the whole season? What did Havlat do to you that caused you so much hatred exactly?

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
If we keep everybody if havlat Gomes back by trade deadline we could have. Line 1. Galiardi Thornton Burns. Line 2. Marleau couture hertl. Line 3 Torres pavelski havlat. Line 4 . Kennedy Shepard/ desi wingels. That would be pretty badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino