Rumor: Galiardi on the trading block

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
It is Kurz... but, gives us something to talk about right?

The Sharks are looking for potential trade partners for pending restricted free agent TJ Galiardi, according to an NHL source.

Galiardi likely became expendable after San Jose acquired forward Tyler Kennedy from the Pittsburgh Penguins. On Sunday at the NHL Entry Draft, the Sharks traded a second round pick for the tenacious 26-year-old forward, who is also a pending RFA.

Galiardi, 25, had five goals and nine assists for 14 points and 14 penalty minutes in 36 games with the Sharks in 2013. He arrived in San Jose, along with Daniel Winnik and a seventh round pick, in exchange for Jamie McGinn and prospect Michael Scarbossa in a trade with the Colorado Avalanche on Feb. 27, 2012.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/kevin-kurz/source-galiardi-trading-block

To me, what this says the most is that DW and co. are REALLY confident in Hertl's ability to make the roster/contribute/play on one of the top 2 lines. Which is kind of out of character for this organization, but would be a refreshing surprise/change.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
No! Galiardi was actually good! Do they really think Kennedy can replace him? Kennedy can't even replace Wingels!

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
No! Galiardi was actually good! Do they really think Kennedy can replace him? Kennedy can't even replace Wingels!

As I said, I think they think Hertl can replace him and even do better... which would be nice. They could put him in Galiardi's spot next to a great example and playmaker in Thornton. And considering Couture's line took the tougher minutes against top pairing and Pavelski's would hypothetically be a shutdown type with scoring pop, this would let him ease in against a bit more sheltered minutes and next to a great two way center.

Marleau - Couture - Wingels/Galiardi+(Demers?) trade
Hertl - Thornton - Burns
Torres - Pavelski - Kennedy
Burish - Desjardins - Sheppard

Vlasic - Braun
Boyle - Irwin
Stuart - Demers/Tennyson/FA veteran

Looks pretty good to me if Hertl can succeed.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It would make no sense to move Galiardi now except for a better forward to replace him. Kennedy nor Hertl replace Galiardi while Havlat is on the shelf.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
As I said, I think they think Hertl can replace him and even do better...

Sorry, I love Galiardi and I only saw "The Sharks are shopping him" Haha my bad! But I don't know if Hertl can handle it yet. Everyone is saying he is going to be great and everything, but many fail to acknowledge the fact that there's a high chance he can't do it yet. Next year, maybe. This year, maybe. But there's also the it could not happen at all chance.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Sorry, I love Galiardi and I only saw "The Sharks are shopping him" Haha my bad! But I don't know if Hertl can handle it yet. Everyone is saying he is going to be great and everything, but many fail to acknowledge the fact that there's a high chance he can't do it yet. Next year, maybe. This year, maybe. But there's also the it could not happen at all chance.

Agreed. WE don't know that. And neither does the FO for sure either, no one can see the future. However, they have a lot more knowledge as to how ready he is than we do i'm sure, having monitored him closely over the past year most likely. IF they do trade galiardi, I think that would be a vote of confidence in his abilities and give us insight into what the FO thinks of him.

We'll see...

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
They might be having a hard time signing Galiardi as he was a bit difficult to sign last year and he has arb right again this year.

If they're having difficulty coming to an agreement trading him is better then letting it get to arbitration and then walking away from the award and losing him for nothing (not that it would happen that way but it's a possibility).

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Hell no to trading Galiardi. Kennedy isn't a replacement for him and Hertl has a completely different skillset.

They might be having a hard time signing Galiardi as he was a bit difficult to sign last year and he has arb right again this year.

If they're having difficulty coming to an agreement trading him is better then letting it get to arbitration and then walking away from the award and losing him for nothing (not that it would happen that way but it's a possibility).

If true that's a good point.

Hatrick Marleau

Just Win The Game
May 16, 2012
I don't get why we traded a 2nd for Kennedy then try and trade Galiardi. Counter productive unless we get a it is for another young forward that fits better with us.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007

This is the only thing that makes sense to me. He's being an ass in negotiations and they want out of the situation. I don't blame them, he's not that good and he get top line minutes mostly out of necessity. If he's using that as a bargaining chip I'd get rid of him too.

AJ SF4L

#GoSharks
Sep 1, 2011
San Jose
It's Kurz. His source is probably someone in Philly who thought he heard something while passing the Sharks' draft table.

Honestly though, if they move Galiardi and keep Burish it would be terrible. At worse TJ is a 4th liner, and he'd still be better than Burish. Give Galiardi the Burish-money and then get rid of Burish, problem solved.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
It's Kurz. His source is probably someone in Philly who thought he heard something while passing the Sharks' draft table.

Honestly though, if they move Galiardi and keep Burish it would be terrible. At worse TJ is a 4th liner, and he'd still be better than Burish. Give Galiardi the Burish-money and then get rid of Burish, problem solved.

And how do you propose they get rid of Burish??? People here that say that seriously bug me. Yes, he's awful and overpaid and we would be better of without him or his cap hit. But how do you propose getting rid of him? No other team is going to want him. Buy him out? That would just be a waste of a limited number of buy out options and ill-advised. Seriously people, you can't just get rid of players, that's why they have contracts.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Galiardi wouldn't have his way with arbitration. Let him have at it again. Despite the strange amount of admiration he gets around here, he hasn't done anything to deserve a pay raise. Let's all remember who he was playing with now.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Galiardi wouldn't have his way with arbitration. Let him have at it again. Despite the strange amount of admiration he gets around here, he hasn't done anything to deserve a pay raise. Let's all remember who he was playing with now.

Agreed. If he wants to go to arbitration saying he was playing on the first line and first line minutes cause he was playing next to jumbo... look at his production compared to all of jumbo's wingers like... ever LMAO. He'll lose that case big time.

murdock1116

May 27, 2010
Los Angeles
The only reason this trade makes sense is because we kinda shot ourselves in the foot when we acquired Kennedy.

I'm sure Galiardi's camp is looking for 1.5mil if not more (justified or not) and we aren't likely to make that work under the current cap.

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
This is the only thing that makes sense to me. He's being an ass in negotiations and they want out of the situation. I don't blame them, he's not that good and he get top line minutes mostly out of necessity. If he's using that as a bargaining chip I'd get rid of him too.

I had a gut feeling contract negotiations with him were going sour.

I don't think they will get much of anything in trade for him. I think it would strictly be to clear out space to bring in a replacement.

AJ SF4L

#GoSharks
Sep 1, 2011
San Jose
And how do you propose they get rid of Burish??? People here that say that seriously bug me. Yes, he's awful and overpaid and we would be better of without him or his cap hit. But how do you propose getting rid of him? No other team is going to want him. Buy him out? That would just be a waste of a limited number of buy out options and ill-advised. Seriously people, you can't just get rid of players, that's why they have contracts.

I'm not a GM, so I don't know how to get rid of him: hence, "get rid of Burish" being all I can input. This could buy him out, but yes, that is a waste of the compliance buyouts. The only reason it might not is if SJ isn't planning on using them, not even on Havlat, hence they would be open no matter what. Another idea is to find someone who's looking for an upgrade on their 4th line/PK and thinks Burish is a fit. This options far more difficult, however, since we don't know which teams would even being willing to deal for Burish.

Honestly, I think it's worse asset management to send a young player packing than buyout an expensive 4th liner who the young player could easily replace. Especially now that Plattner is the majority owner. Just my two cents.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
The **** is wrong with you TJ? You were a nice fit with Burns and JT, but you were pretty useless unless attached at the hip to Thornton or Pavelski, and your skill set is utterly replaceable.

And for the last ****ing time, Burish is going nowhere.

glasgow26

Jul 17, 2007
San Francisco
Lame. He has been a bit if a disappointment since joining the Sharks but he was finally starting to find his groove towards the end of the season. I'd like to keep the Galiardi-Thornton-Burns line together to start next season and see how it works out.

I really don't see the sense in trading him right now. His value is relatively low and we need wingers. If we trade Galiardi for scraps (which is probably all we'll be able to get) then the McGinn trade will hurt even more.

Episkey

Nitrox
Mar 12, 2013
California
I'm not saying they will, but they could use a compliance buyout on him. I don't know if their planning to buy anyone else out, so they could use their second compliance on Havlat next year if things don't work out. We all know Burish isn't worth almost 2 mil, so buy him out and use the cap space to sign guys T.J who could be a third/fourth liner. If needed be he could also step up with Thornton and Burns, not very effective but it has been proven to work out alright.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
It would make no sense to move Galiardi now except for a better forward to replace him. Kennedy nor Hertl replace Galiardi while Havlat is on the shelf.

This. We lack forward depth. Dumb move to move Gail. All it takes are an injury or 2 to our forward group and Tim Kennedy is back to playing over ten mins a game. If galiardi and demers are moved as a package For significantly better forward than Galiardi. I understand If not we need to stay Pat not a smart move. Cap space isn't a problem with havlat going on ltir. The only other reason I could think of moving him is if they're targeting a big top six winger that They believe they can acquire via trade or whatever. If that's the case I'm on board

Vaasa

Aug 23, 2006
Sacramento, CA
I'm not saying they will, but they could use a compliance buyout on him. I don't know if their planning to buy anyone else out, so they could use their second compliance on Havlat next year if things don't work out. We all know Burish isn't worth almost 2 mil, so buy him out and use the cap space to sign guys T.J who could be a third/fourth liner. If needed be he could also step up with Thornton and Burns, not very effective but it has been proven to work out alright.

They may be thinking that if they hold on to him one more year he might bounce back a bit. And he would be much more tradable next year if the cap goes up as expected.

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
The **** is wrong with you TJ? You were a nice fit with Burns and JT, but you were pretty useless unless attached at the hip to Thornton or Pavelski, and your skill set is utterly replaceable.

And for the last ****ing time, Burish is going nowhere.

what she said

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
Also I highly doubt any Asset we receive for Galiardi would be better then having Galiardi it's a step back in my opinion like I said unless his package was something else or were able to get a big name top six forward to open up the slot for him this is no good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese