Gagarin Cup Playoffs 2018

Winner?!

• Total voters

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Initially thought it was extremely good in NJ but asked the NJ board and they pretty much said it was adequate after being a big floater when he came in, how's it been in the K?
It was a process. A couple of years ago he bulked upla lot. People were bouncing off him, but he wasn't moving like in at all. Hard to do a lot of backchecking that way. He's lost some weight and is now a more agile version and in my opinion quite an adequate winger defensively. And Datsyuk was his centerman a lot though, so there wasn't much work left defensively.

If you are looking at him as a future again NHLer you have realise he is not in his prime anymore by any measure. And it was very obvious at the Olympics as Gusev and Kaprizov took the top line duty and never looked back. If Kovalchuk is put in a role of a complementary offensive threat with PP usage he can still contribute. His shot and stickhandling are still there.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
It was a process. A couple of years ago he bulked upla lot. People were bouncing off him, but he wasn't moving like in at all. Hard to do a lot of backchecking that way. He's lost some weight and is now a more agile version and in my opinion quite an adequate winger defensively. And Datsyuk was his centerman a lot though, so there wasn't much work left defensively.

If you are looking at him as a future again NHLer you have realise he is not in his prime anymore by any measure. And it was very obvious at the Olympics as Gusev and Kaprizov took the top line duty and never looked back. If Kovalchuk is put in a role of a complementary offensive threat with PP usage he can still contribute. His shot and stickhandling are still there.
That's good to hear, and yea maybe he was trying to be Ovy instead of Kovy

And yeah prime Kovy would be an absolute beast in today's NHL, so even with him being 34, is ~60 points a reasonable guess for his production?

Personally I'm asking as a Leafs fan thinking he would be good on LW on a line with Nylander & Kapanen as a speedy (is he now back to being at least above avg speed?), offensively skilled line with favourable OZ usage while replacing JVR as a huge threat on the PP even if their strengths are polar opposites, does that sound like a ideal situation for his return? (Sorry about making it about Leafs in a KHL thread lmao, just thinking ahead to the offseason of what Lou might do)

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
That's good to hear, and yea maybe he was trying to be Ovy instead of Kovy

And yeah prime Kovy would be an absolute beast in today's NHL, so even with him being 34, is ~60 points a reasonable guess for his production?

Personally I'm asking as a Leafs fan thinking he would be good on LW on a line with Nylander & Kapanen as a speedy (is he now back to being at least above avg speed?), offensively skilled line with favourable OZ usage while replacing JVR as a huge threat on the PP even if their strengths are polar opposites, does that sound like a ideal situation for his return? (Sorry about making it about Leafs in a KHL thread lmao, just thinking ahead to the offseason of what Lou might do)
If you are a Leafs fan that makes it easier. You have Marleau. My gues for Kovalchuk would be a slightly above Marleau's production. The bigger question is if the Leafs can convince Kovy they are a contender. He made it very clear that the sole purpose of his return to the NHL would be trying to win the Cup.

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
Well, SKA is step away from big failure. Home ice for CSKA to close this series in 6. Fingers crossed.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
This one is going to be one hell of a big game. Of all the years I really didn't see SKA blowing this one. Then again, maybe they won't.

Also while Sorokin is building himself a case as a PO MVP, Shestyorkin has seen his first 59s of PO action today. Hell yeah. When the schedule is full of back-to-back as well.

TommySalo

Dec 27, 2009
Well, I am thrilled with the battle between CSKA and SKA. Come on Red Army.
Fantastic hockey, very good player, the atmosphere pretty good.
CSKA had a full house /last home game/ for a very long time.
Honestly, only Jokerit is close to the quality of these two powerhouses. That is the main reason for this league to expand to other ice hockey countries - Switzerland, Germany, Sweden.
Just imagine top 8 of the west conference conisting - CSKA, SKA, Jokerit, AIK, Eisbaren Berlin, Bern. And you could easily add to the mix teams such as Lokomotiv, Dinamo, Slovan /if they find the right owner, they have everything else in place/.

Reactions: CPFC

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Well, I am thrilled with the battle between CSKA and SKA. Come on Red Army.
Fantastic hockey, very good player, the atmosphere pretty good.
CSKA had a full house /last home game/ for a very long time.
Honestly, only Jokerit is close to the quality of these two powerhouses. That is the main reason for this league to expand to other ice hockey countries - Switzerland, Germany, Sweden.
Just imagine top 8 of the west conference conisting - CSKA, SKA, Jokerit, AIK, Eisbaren Berlin, Bern. And you could easily add to the mix teams such as Lokomotiv, Dinamo, Slovan /if they find the right owner, they have everything else in place/.
Why would we take all those bad teams? You are delirious if you think Jokerit is close to the eastern powerhouses too

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Why would we take all those bad teams? You are delirious if you think Jokerit is close to the eastern powerhouses too
The fact that you are still using plural here shows you are quite delirious as well. Ak Bars is the only team in the East anywhere near "powerhouse" level. You just won conference finals 4-0. Against Traktor who somehow managed to advance further than other "powerhouses".

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
The fact that you are still using plural here shows you are quite delirious as well. Ak Bars is the only team in the East anywhere near "powerhouse" level. You just won conference finals 4-0. Against Traktor who somehow managed to advance further than other "powerhouses".
I love people who don't follow the league, but feel as knowledgeable contributors. :sarcasm:

Btw, your boring "powerhouses" are about to faceoff. Series that helps me fall asleep.

One of your powerhouses never won a Gagarin Cup. The other is somewhat prominent for what 5 years now?

Everyththing out of the west is better. Is that what you are trying to tell us? LOL

Until the west learns anything but stealing the east will remain the stronger, more consistent, cost efficient, sustainable you name it conference. Eastern powerhouses are for the ages. SKA is just there as long as they are allowed to cheat and get the money for that. Force them to mind the cap and they are dead. No school, no hockey concept, void.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I'm telling you we are talking about the situation today, not 5 or 10 or 20 years ago because past is past.

Also being an absolute homer of one team doesn't count as "following the league" either. Showcased by this argument as well. It was about Jokerit. You said they aren't close to Eastern powerhouses. So who are those? Who are they, currently, not close to other than Ak Bars (arguably)?

Not even gonna get into the "robbing the east, no school" part.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Man... this is fantastic! Awesome league, awesome playoffs. I now just want Kaprizov to win the championship.

Northur

Mar 17, 2018
Lars Johansson is the man. Seriously, that save against Datsyuk was just incredible.

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
It's not a strech to say that Jokerit are at least on par with the eastern powerhouses. They had more points in the regular season and a better goal difference than any eastern team. Hopefully we will see inter-conference match-ups in the next playoffs as early as the second round.

Reactions: TommySalo and Exarz

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Happy to see CSKA in the finals. Great series vs SKA, as expected, eventhough i thought SKA would win. Glad i was wrong.

On to the finals, i just hope it ll be a long series, 7 games preferably.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad