G Jake Oettinger - Boston University, NCAA (2017, 26th, DAL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Source or just speculation?

Well they were looking to sign him last off-season, so I'd imagine they are looking to sign him once again?

Educated speculation.

"The Stars and Oettinger discussed him signing a professional contract after the Terriers season ended in March, but Oettinger elected to return to BU for his junior season. He expects similar discussions when the BU season ends next spring."

How Stars goalie prospect Jake Oettinger is preparing for a future pro career, and the decision leading up to it

Reactions: LatvianTwist

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Hoping we do sign him. Point had a disappointing season, it would be a big risk to have him go another year and walk.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Would be interesting how the Texas Stars goaltending tandem would look like. Nobody really has been very good this year . Would they go with Oettinger and Point and let Bow go ( I think Desrosrier is gone either way ) or sign another veteran AHL guy ? Having two guys ~20 at the AHL level would be really risky.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Would be interesting how the Texas Stars goaltending tandem would look like. Nobody really has been very good this year . Would they go with Oettinger and Point and let Bow go ( I think Desrosrier is gone either way ) or sign another veteran AHL guy ? Having two guys ~20 at the AHL level would be really risky.

Probably Bow/Oettinger.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Probably Bow/Oettinger.

I don't know if Bow has shown that much more than Desrosrier and both are RFA's at the end of the year . Not sure if he's worth re-signing. He's been the #1 for Texas for two years now and his stats are pretty bad. Last year he lost his starting spot to 35 year old Mike McKenna in the playoffs as well.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014

My Bet, with Point being a bit more of a project and having had a year of bench time mostly, is Point runs with the starting gig in the ECHL and Oetter/Bow split in the AHL.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
My Bet, with Point being a bit more of a project and having had a year of bench time mostly, is Point runs with the starting gig in the ECHL and Oetter/Bow split in the AHL.

Wait and see i guess i'm not that confident Bow is worth keeping around more than Desrosrier. I guess one is retained and one let go. Most likely Desrosrier goes and Bow gets a two year deal or something but who knows. Goaltending prospects are wierd anyway. At 23 which both Bow and Desrosrier are they could still randomly turn into something or not at all.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Wait and see i guess i'm not that confident Bow is worth keeping around more than Desrosrier. I guess one is retained and one let go. Most likely Desrosrier goes and Bow gets a two year deal or something but who knows. Goaltending prospects are wierd anyway. At 23 which both Bow and Desrosrier are they could still randomly turn into something or not at all.

Well Rosie has put up good numbers this year last time I saw a few weeks ago. At this point i'll take Rosie over Bow. Rosie has never had SV% under .900 other than one year where he split time in the ECHL with the Stars affiliate and TB's. Even at that, once he went over to NorFolk his numbers improved. Another pro with Rosie is that his playoff numbers in every league he's been in has been solid. I just think his pedigree has been better and he's worth keeping over Bow, who to me seems like your typical journeymen goalie who will spend the majority of his career down in the AHL with cameos in the show every now and then.

Like you said, Bow has been given every opportunity to be the guy in Texas and has poor numbers to show for. Let him walk

serp

Jan 17, 2016
He's looked fantastic for Texas in both games. Clearly ready to be a pro right away. Making a very good impression. Hope he plays the majority of the remaining games and if Texas makes it starts in the playoffs.

When Dallas sends down Bow i hope Oettinger still plays most games . Bow has not been good for Texas this season

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Stops 32 of 33 shots in two periods of his first NHL pre-season game against a full-lineup Avalanche squad. Stars were icing their AHL team.

Reactions: Brodeur

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What is likely to happen with Oettinger next season? Will he replace Khudobin after this season or are they likely to have a veteran back up Bishop for one more season while Oettinger plays another season in the AHL? I remember how a lot of people didn't like this pick and how much it was criticized, but its looking like a good pick by Dallas in the late first round.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Ideally Khudobin will return and Oettinger will be the de facto starter in the AHL.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
How many years away is he from the NHL? One more season in the farm and then a backup to Khudobin/Bishop?

Some were advocating for him to be the back-up this year and let Khudobin walk, but given the circumstances and Bishop's health that's risky.

He'll almost certainly get some playing time this year as Bishop misses 20ish games a year without fail. Depending on how that cup of coffee goes, things could change in the offseason. I have a feeling Dallas is expecting to lose a goalie around the expansion draft (maybe not to it, but somehow). Oettinger playing well would further that possibility.

Reactions: De Montreal

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
How many years away is he from the NHL? One more season in the farm and then a backup to Khudobin/Bishop?
I think management said they were willing to roll with him as a back up if Khudobin went elsewhere. So I would assume he gets heavy starts in the AHL this season (if they have a season) and likely spends 25% of the season as the back up when bishop inevitably gets hurt. I would expect him to make the full time switch in 2021, if Khudobin gets picked by Seattle/health issues of Bishop allow him to showcase himself

Reactions: De Montreal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad