G Jake Oettinger - Boston University, NCAA (2017, 26th, DAL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Any young goalie making the transition to the AHL will be rough. Look at the top 5 goalies in raw GSAA in the AHL right now: Michalek, Rittich, Hill, Lindgren and Ellis. Only one goalie is under the age of 23yo and that is Hill. The bottom 5 rookie AHL goalies in raw GSAA: Alex Nedeljkovic, Brandon Halverson, Mackenzie Blackwood, Jason Kasdorf and Thatcher Demko. Two NCAA goalies and three CHL goalies. Four of those goalies though are 20/21yo. Takes a special goalie to make that jump early into the AHL such as Juuse Saros.

Jerrico

Jan 21, 2007
How good is this guy as a prospect? How would you rank him relative to some of the top goalie prospects who've already been drafted? Thanks

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
How good is this guy as a prospect? How would you rank him relative to some of the top goalie prospects who've already been drafted? Thanks

He's put up numbers on par with Demko in his junior season.

He's rated as the #1 goalie in the draft. As for when he will be drafted, all depends on who needs a goalie 4-5 years down the line. So, look at teams with a #1 who is around age 30 and if they have anything in the pipeline to replace him down the road.

Don't see any non playoff team taking him in round 1. If they want him, they may need to move up from early 2nd round into late 1st round to secure him.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London

He's my personal top goalie prospect in the draft. He should go somewhere in the 20's where I believe both Ottawa/Dallas should seriously consider taking him or even the Blues. Once drafted where would he fit among goalie prospects already drafted is a good question. It's fair to say that he'd be the top goalie prospect almost instantly in every NHL team's goalie pipeline except for a few. Where that puts him league wide though is probably in the top 20.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
He's my personal top goalie prospect in the draft. He should go somewhere in the 20's where I believe both Ottawa/Dallas should seriously consider taking him or even the Blues. Once drafted where would he fit among goalie prospects already drafted is a good question. It's fair to say that he'd be the top goalie prospect almost instantly in every NHL team's goalie pipeline except for a few. Where that puts him league wide though is probably in the top 20.

Why the Blues? They're so flush with goalies they gave Copley away just for space.

Agree on Stars and Sens.

JohnnyHockey

Dec 30, 2013
I'm fine with the Stars taking him in the 2nd round. I like him a lot. If they decide to not take him, I have a lot of goalies this draft I like. I won't sweat it either way. Goalies are a crapshoot.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Why the Blues? They're so flush with goalies they gave Copley away just for space.

Agree on Stars and Sens.

Philadelphia was flush with goalie prospects too and still took Carter Hart. It really depends on what the Blues look at Oettinger as. They're the dark horse as they have that Washington pick. The most likely teams to take Oettinger though are Arizona/Dallas/Ottawa. I think Ottawa is the most interested as they brought in their goalie coach to talk with him.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Philadelphia was flush with goalie prospects too and still took Carter Hart. It really depends on what the Blues look at Oettinger as. They're the dark horse as they have that Washington pick. The most likely teams to take Oettinger though are Arizona/Dallas/Ottawa. I think Ottawa is the most interested as they brought in their goalie coach to talk with him.

I don't take much stock in him being ranked around 29. He's the best goalie. If you're drafting 20th and you want a goalie you take him. Just like Samsonov last year.

dropdeadjoey

Oct 23, 2014
Ontario
Perhaps a team like Chicago takes a run at him around 26th overall if he is still there. Adds a solid prospect to the system that they will need to replace Crawford at some stage.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Would not be surprised to see the Sens take him at 28. I guess it will depend on who's available there. I am really not sure about how the goalies rank comparatively.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Would not be surprised to see the Sens take him at 28. I guess it will depend on who's available there. I am really not sure about how the goalies rank comparatively.

Here's how I have it:

Tier 1
Jake Oettinger

Tier 2
Michael DiPietro
Kieth Petruzzelli
Cayden Primeau
Maksim Zhukov
Stuart Skinner
Ian Scott
Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen
Stephen Dhillon
Matthew Villalta

Tier 3
Dylan Ferguson
Jake McGrath
Dereck Baribeau
Dayton Rasmussen
Dylan St. Cyr
Kyle Jessiman

Don't really have an opinion personally on Olle Eriksson Ek

Last edited:

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Add another Sens fan for him at 28th. Goalie depth is by far the weakest point of the Sens pipeline, and with a couple prospects like Chabot, White, etc. coming up, they will be well stocked with young NHL'ers where depth in the forward and defender ranks wont be as much of an issue.

Hogberg, with a breakout season in NA next year could change that, but the more, the better...especially with how unpredictable goalie development is.

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016
I really have a strong feeling the Sens will draft him. If you look at the depth with the Sens they don't really have a strong goalie class. O'Connor hasn't been able to take that next step. Hogberg is the only goalie in the system that has shown some promise but he has to transition to NA.

Anderson doesn't have too many seasons left. There backup situation is so so. Condon could stay with them. Hammond just can't stay healthy and just had that one great run that Pesky Sens year.

This draft isn't the strongest one for forwards and dman. But has a pretty deep goaltending class.
The last few drafts they have drafted a lot of depth at forward that have actually been playing way better than where they were drafted. The dman they have drafted have been playing as well really well. So they should be looking to have that future #1 goalie.

JohnnyHockey

Dec 30, 2013
Here's how I have it:

Tier 1
Jake Oettinger

Tier 2
Michael DiPietro
Kieth Petruzzelli
Cayden Primeau
Maksim Zhukov
Stuart Skinner
Ian Scott
Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen
Stephen Dhillon
Matthew Villalta

Tier 3
Dylan Ferguson
Jake McGrath
Dereck Baribeau
Dayton Rasmussen
Dylan St. Cyr
Kyle Jessiman

Any thoughts on Kirill Ustimenko, Adam Ahman, or Lassi Lehtinen (shorter guy)?

I like them in the late rounds

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Here's how I have it:

Tier 1
Jake Oettinger

Tier 2
Michael DiPietro
Kieth Petruzzelli
Cayden Primeau
Maksim Zhukov
Stuart Skinner
Ian Scott
Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen
Stephen Dhillon
Matthew Villalta

Tier 3
Dylan Ferguson
Jake McGrath
Dereck Baribeau
Dayton Rasmussen
Dylan St. Cyr
Kyle Jessiman

Thanks what tier would Veini Vehvilainen slide into ...he has been passed over twice but seems like he has some pedigree and had a decent year statistically this year
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=176290

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Any thoughts on Kirill Ustimenko, Adam Ahman, or Lassi Lehtinen (shorter guy)?

I like them in the late rounds

I'm not very familiar with international goalies unfortunately so 2/3 of those I can't comment on. For Adam Ahman though my impression of him at the U18 is he's a safe goalie or very average I guess you could say. He's definitely someone you would wait until the later rounds to take because the upside is not worth aiming for in the earlier rounds.

Thanks what tier would Veini Vehvilainen slide into ...he has been passed over twice but seems like he has some pedigree and had a decent year statistically this year
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=176290

He'd at most be in the 3rd Tier as he's a double overager for the draft. In the limited action I've seen him I would guess that teams aren't overly excited by his mental game. No idea if he's cleaned up his act in that regard but I don't see him going earlier than the 6th round. I could be completely wrong though as I've said before my weakest area in goalies is the international ones.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
Arizona at 23 could take him
Chicago at 26 could take him
Ottawa at 28 could
And if all others pass Dallas almost definitely do at 29

Yea, I'm gonna be pissed if he gets picked by Ottawa, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad