News Article: Friesen on Sawyer and the hazing incident

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
The comments about singing reminded me of our high school football team.

Our hazing involved having to stand in the center of the dressing room, usually in just your jock or briefs, and sing a verse of whatever current song title was yelled out. We were then given a points rating on how well we sang. The kid with the lowest number of points -- not me, thankfully -- had to do laundry for the team, mostly jocks and socks and reeking like any group of teens would be.

Curiously, a couple of years after I graduated, the hazing ritual was dropped, not due to any criticism or backlash but because it was tired and boring. Or as the high school paper said at the time, it had become "lame".

More curiously, a few years after that, complaints arose that there was no bonding ritual. So, a written test was arranged for all new players who made the team. It was a series of T/F questions about the team, its history, and the local league. The results were marked and posted and the TWO kids who got the lowest score ended up with -- yep, you guessed it -- laundry detail. All this was a few decades ago and I've no idea what the school does now in the new, enlightened age.

I don't recall anyone recoiling from our hazing or complaining about the ritual. Just grousing about having to listen to the singing. We were a pretty good football team and consistently made the playoffs but, man, were we ever lousy singers.

han316

Feb 6, 2013
EOb2uwMUYAEV6fY

not a legal definition though just a group's opinion on the matter. Anyone know if Manitoba law has a clear definition of hazing?

This site that has the opinion above does have info on all the states though.
You are being redirected...

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
not a legal definition though just a group's opinion on the matter. Anyone know if Manitoba law has a clear definition of hazing?

This site that has the opinion above does have info on all the states though.
You are being redirected...

It's hockey Canada's policy. The WHL operates under hockey Canada policy. The criminal code covers anything that is deemed to break the law. The act itself may not have been illegal but in violation of policy.

For example, a coach under the banner of hockey Canada decides that after bag skating the team the boys/girls are going to do a few cool down laps and the players can take their helmets off for the skate. Nothing illegal has taken place and the players all had fun. The coach has violated the policy of hockey Canada by letting the players skate around with no helmet at an organized practice. However, if a player was to fall and get concussed, split their head open or whatever the coach may then have committed some neglectful act under the criminal code.

Football Manitoba, CIS (individual schools policy), Hockey Canada all have anti-hazing policies/code of conduct policies - MHSAA would likely fall under each school divisions code of conduct policy for students, which it may for some other smaller organizations as well. When the incident would be deemed serious enough such as touching someones genitals it would then cross over to the criminal code.

Most organizations would have a code of conduct policy. Although they may not specifically use the word hazing, the policy would be broad enough as to cover it.

The Sawyer incident would be under the CHA policy of 2005 and Washington State law.

Last edited:

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
Just connect the dots as per Brown and why the TSN crew are such lap dogs for TNSE.
Yah, I have almost completely stopped listening to TSN Winnipeg as there is almost never any honest opinion that would be negative on anything Jets.

han316

Feb 6, 2013
I'm appalled by this snow, henceforth i decree by the power of my keyboard that anyone caught having fun in the snow is the devil in disguise.

Reactions: Channelcat

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Just connect the dots as per Brown and why the TSN crew are such lap dogs for TNSE.
It's always been that way. Their job is to get you spending your kids college fund on millionaire athletes ;) Gotta look pretty hard for an honest opinion as Bell/Rogers own hockey in this country and the media.

Reactions: blues10

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Guessing so..another forced apology.
Just suspend him for a few games and move on.
People continue have to apologize to equally flawed people for appearances sake.
I find this recent practice appalling on so many levels.
I agree, what a nightmare. Why should anyone have to apologize just because they did something reprehensible to a teen they were supposed to teach and look after? A forced apology is the real crime here

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I was at the debacle of a game. Did Sawyer offer and apology during the telecast?
If so a great step forward. He has a platform to make some positive change .

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

To me that says Sawyer will be back as soon as he eats some crow. That's really too bad. If they aren't going to get rid of him for this, they're never going to get rid of him and we'll be stuck with the airheaded shill forever. And the ****er is going to be doing commercials just to make things even worse.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
To me that says Sawyer will be back as soon as he eats some crow. That's really too bad. If they aren't going to get rid of him for this, they're never going to get rid of him and we'll be stuck with the airheaded shill forever. And the ****er is going to be doing commercials just to make things even worse.
According to an article in the Free Press it was a birthday prank by the players and not the coaches. He wanted to say something but TSN told him not to. No idea why they would do that. Well a bunch of us me included will be eating the crow.

Reactions: Stumbledore

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
According to an article in the Free Press it was a birthday prank by the players and not the coaches. He wanted to say something but TSN told him not to. No idea why they would do that. Well a bunch of us me included will be eating the crow.

A prank 10 years ago doesn't excuse Sawyer from publicly revelling in the humour he saw in it. I sure as hell won't be eating crow if that stooge is retained, I'll be too busy with the Pepto-Bismol. I will rise for a standing ovation if he's turfed from the entire Bell family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad