News Article: Friesen on Sawyer and the hazing incident

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedub

Registered Lurker
Nov 21, 2013
Winnipeg
Unfortunately you are speaking to people that never played a sport in their life and simply wont understand any of this. The fact that some people think that sawyer was the 'leader' is proof of this.
It's already been stated that he is not speaking to people who have never played a team sport. Sawyer was the leader of the TEAM, and was aware of what happened, that makes him culpable.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
He seemed pretty sincere...reading the copy crafted by the PR folks at TNSE. Or TSN. But whatever...I don't think he should be fired or even raked over the coals for what is a pretty mild incident that he wasn't really involved in (despite his original account, where it sounded like he was more a part of it) 15 years ago. He should be fired for being an awful color commentator - fire Maurice and put him in that role...he'd be great! Kill two birds with one stone! ;)

I think it was boneheaded and tone-deaf to tell that story on TV in this era of changing attitudes and social media outrage mobs. TNSE or TSN - whoever put the gag order on it, just amplified it instead of getting out in front of it. Waiting for it to jump from social media to the papers is a bad idea. But Sawyer toes the company line with all his might, so they had to provide cover...you can't can a guy for something relatively insignificant when he's had your back on whitewashing the Jets terrible play all year. Anyway poor judgment all around, but no fireable offenses.

Great minds think alike. :nod:
Coaching Thread

And if Sawyer was reading off a script prepared for him, then those PR folk oughta get canned, too. That was beyond the valley of the lame.

Reactions: Gm0ney

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'm not sure why people are lumping TNSE into this. He works for TSN and they are the ones who would be reviewing his conduct and making a call.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
That can be said for the relationship between any team and their regional broadcaster. Hell, the talking heads that cover Vegas all wear VGK pins on their jackets like they're US politicians showing how much they worship the flag.

Sure, I didn't mean it to sound derogatory or out of the ordinary.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Weak. If you're going to apologize, says what you're apologizing for. If you say that the story you told was "inaccurate", then correct the record and tell us how it was inaccurate. If you're going to say it was a positive experience for a 16 year old, then why are you apologizing?

He did say how it was inaccurate. He lied about having actually seen it himself.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
He did say how it was inaccurate. He lied about having actually seen it himself.
Did he not lie in re telling how he actually walked up and saw him already Saran wrapped to the pole and they sang him happy birthday. Rather than his previous version“we saran wrapped him to a pole”? He was there but is now distancing himself from actually wrapping him up but instead came upon him already wrapped to a pole.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I'm not sure why people are lumping TNSE into this. He works for TSN and they are the ones who would be reviewing his conduct and making a call.

TNSE has blurred the lines a bit themselves. Aren’t the mothers/wives of the TSN media on the Winnipeg Jets mom’s trip and all sitting together. That was what was said during the Rogers broadcast. I saw Sawyer sitting up there for the Hawks game with all the Jets players moms.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
68277d91632d1ea148e2bc4529bd72f3.jpg

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Did he not lie in re telling how he actually walked up and saw him already Saran wrapped to the pole and they sang him happy birthday. Rather than his previous version“we saran wrapped him to a pole”? He was there but is now distancing himself from actually wrapping him up but instead came upon him already wrapped to a pole.

I understood it to mean that he got the whole thing second hand. That was the lie. He was there for happy birthday. Not the wrap.

The whole B'day party scenario might put a different spin on the incident.

I think some reporter should put it to Spurgeon that his no comment implies that he was not happy about the incident. If he was and the whole thing is a tempest in a teapot, then Spurgeon should say so to clear the air. If not, he should say that too. Remove the doubt.

Personally, I am ready to accept Sawyer's apology, imperfect as it was. He has been chastised and made his mandatory apology. I can move on. Unless something else comes to the surface.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
TNSE has blurred the lines a bit themselves. Aren’t the mothers/wives of the TSN media on the Winnipeg Jets mom’s trip and all sitting together. That was what was said during the Rogers broadcast. I saw Sawyer sitting up there for the Hawks game with all the Jets players moms.

I can confirm that TSN media travel with the team and some of them have moms (or other female guests) with them.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I understood it to mean that he got the whole thing second hand. That was the lie. He was there for happy birthday. Not the wrap.

I think some reporter should put it to Spurgeon that his no comment implies that he was not happy about the incident. If he was and the whole thing is a tempest in a teapot, then Spurgeon should say so to clear the air. If not, he should say that too. Remove the doubt.

Personally, I am ready to accept Sawyer's apology, imperfect as it was. He has been chastised and made his mandatory apology. I can move on. Unless something else comes to the surface.

The fact he still left it up to interpretation is interesting.

“I was In fact unaware and had nothing to do with the 16th birthday recognition until we sang Happy Birthday to Jared who appeared happy in that moment. At that time I did not view it as a negative harmful or demeaning in any way rather a celebration of a popular and rather well liked teammate. “

Yup, time to move on. End of story.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
PoMo new colour man with Yak Yak. Wow..

upload_2020-1-22_17-47-21.jpeg

Colour on the team that just canned him. Instant classic and must see TV.:thumbu:

Attachments

• upload_2020-1-22_17-46-24.jpeg
    upload_2020-1-22_17-46-24.jpeg
    10.1 KB · Views: 1

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

Spurgeon is being smart. No matter what he says, it will likely cause offence to somebody and then he will get subjected to a bunch of social media crap. He would be better off going on an African safari and shooting a lion. :sarcasm:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
This has gone full circle now, we can close this down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad