News Article: Friesen on Sawyer and the hazing incident

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Mentioning persistence was unnecessary, removing that single word gets the point across without coming across as annoyed.

Just comes back to that pervasive True North arrogance. If Scott Brown ever decides to move on, I know who they should get for their next spokesperson. :sarcasm:

giphy.gif

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Jets broadcaster to explain controversial comments

“Favourite story of Jared Spurgeon,” Sawyer began. “He was a 15-year-old. Two months into the season we saran-wrapped him to a pillar in the arena, about six feet up in the air … he was tiny. He looked like he was 12.”

The Wild say Sawyer called Spurgeon to apologize the same night, but a more public acknowledgment of his lapse in judgment wasn’t as forthcoming.

The Sun approached Sawyer in the days following his comments, but he said TSN wouldn’t allow him to speak to the matter.

Reactions: blues10

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
According to an article in the Free Press it was a birthday prank by the players and not the coaches. He wanted to say something but TSN told him not to. No idea why they would do that. Well a bunch of us me included will be eating the crow.

I saw the article this morning. Nobody here should be eating any crow. This is not a case of posters spouting off wildly based on rumours and speculation. People reacted to something that Sawyer actually said. The ones that need to feel foolish are Sawyer for not providing the whole context of the incident in the first place, and TSN for not clarifying the circumstances immediately.

And Sawyer still should be fired for being a lousy commentator. :nod:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Why is this a big deal? Society today is such a joke. Of course spurgeon was okay with it. The only ones bothered by it clearly never played a sport in their life.

They tried to interview Spurgeon about it and he refused to talk about the incident. Does that sound like someone who had fun being taped to a pole?

han316

Feb 6, 2013
I saw the article this morning. Nobody here should be eating any crow. This is not a case of posters spouting off wildly based on rumours and speculation. People reacted to something that Sawyer actually said. The ones that need to feel foolish are Sawyer for not providing the whole context of the incident in the first place, and TSN for not clarifying the circumstances immediately.

And Sawyer still should be fired for being a lousy commentator. :nod:

You must have a very different definition of speculation cause i didn't see one post or article that had any facts in it.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Why is this a big deal? Society today is such a joke. Of course spurgeon was okay with it. The only ones bothered by it clearly never played a sport in their life.
So let me get this straight you think playing a sport is an excuse to commit two crimes- assault and unlawful detention - against a 15 year old teen?

What a f***ed up argument. I really hope you don't have kids - for their sake. Yikes

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
If Spurgeon was ok with it, he would have spoken about it, and defended the hazers. His silence speaks volumes.

On the other hand, had Spurgeon spoke up, people would have immediately discounted his testimony as "Stockholm Syndrome", just like they did when Oliver Kylington openly and baldly stated Peters never exhibited one iota of racism as Flames coach, nor maltreat him in any way. How many people even realized that Kylington is exactly as African as Akim Aliu, never mind be willing to give his testimony one drop of weight?

Reactions: Stumbledore

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
On the other hand, had Spurgeon spoke up, people would have immediately discounted his testimony as "Stockholm Syndrome", just like they did when Oliver Kylington openly and baldly stated Peters never exhibited one iota of racism as Flames coach, nor maltreat him in any way. How many people even realized that Kylington is exactly as African as Akim Aliu, never mind be willing to give his testimony one drop of weight?
You must have about zero understanding of power dynamics to not realize that even if Kylington had experianced racism he would not have been able to call out his coach in the media.

Also what are you trying to do with talking about exactly how 'African' you perceive Kylington or Aliu to be?

The fact that they are both half black has nothing to do with the explicit racism that was directed at Aliu. Do you think these two hockey players would have all the exact same life experiences just because they happen to be the same race? Your post is really the height of ignorance

Reactions: pucka lucka

Pickle Rick

Nov 11, 2016
I’m not here to defend Sawyer, I couldn’t care less about him personally (although I don’t think he’s as bad at his job as people make him out to be). I just get tired of listening to people be offended and outraged on behalf of other people. Spurgeon has a mouth, let him go after Sawyer if he’s in fact been unreasonably hazed.

Maybe I’m just desensitized in general now because PC culture has gone overboard. I literally don’t have enough energy to care about everything that is possibly wrong in this world. I watch Jets games as an escape, it’s sports, it’s supposed to be fun. Saran wrapping a kid to a pole is not serious enough for me to get emotionally involved in. And before people pull out the “what if it was your kid?” argument, if it was my kid I would address it directly and forcibly myself without making it a federal case.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I’m not here to defend Sawyer, I couldn’t care less about him personally (although I don’t think he’s as bad at his job as people make him out to be). I just get tired of listening to people be offended and outraged on behalf of other people. Spurgeon has a mouth, let him go after Sawyer if he’s in fact been unreasonably hazed.

Maybe I’m just desensitized in general now because PC culture has gone overboard. I literally don’t have enough energy to care about everything that is possibly wrong in this world. I watch Jets games as an escape, it’s sports, it’s supposed to be fun. Saran wrapping a kid to a pole is not serious enough for me to get emotionally involved in. And before people pull out the “what if it was your kid?” argument, if it was my kid I would address it directly and forcibly myself without making it a federal case.
True. Great name btw!

Reactions: Eyeseeing

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
This thread is a microcosm of society and some of its ills. It is 2020 now and not 1970. Society has changed and policy of major and minor organizations now reflects that. As is the fact 44 states specifically have anti-hazing laws. Further, most of the criminal code and policies of governing organizations cover most anything deemed to either be a violation of policy or illegal within the criminal code, with or without anti-hazing specifically being the law of a state or province.

It's great to disagree with policy and law in a democracy as that is how change happens. When those laws and policies have been deemed societal norms, simply disregarding them because an individual doesn't agree with them (ant-hazing/anti-bullying) can be a problem especially if that person is in a position of authority over minors.

For those in opposition of Hockey Canada's policy in regards to hazing and bullying stand up for yourselves. Start an organization and put hazing and bullying back in the game. If the majority of society deem it to be a standard of which is valued, hazing and bullying will be fully re-instated. Get your organization on twitter and tweet away, start a facebook group to bring back the great team bonding experience and fun experience for kids that hazing/bullying really is.

For the record I fully Support Hockey Canada's bullying/hazing policy.

Last edited:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

Totally agree.
So many outraged people without their own blemishes that need to hear someone else’s apologies for something that really has nothing to do with them.
GJG
Let’s just watch hockey again!

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hazing does not appear in either the consolidated statutes of Manitoba or the consolidated statutes of Canada.

No - but it is in the policies of many organizations. It could also be considered bullying. Any statutes mention bullying? I'd bet that it also quite often crosses the line to become assault. I know that is in the statutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad