Rumor: Friedman/McKenzie: Shattenkirk trying to pick his spot, and it's the Rangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I'm probably part of the minority here but Im a pass on Shattenkirk, from all accounts he wants to be a NYR. I would like to see the Penguins keep there first round pick, if St will take a conditional pick that becomes a 1st if we make the finals, I also think he goes to the craps because it's time for them to take a chance and go for it all

It's pretty obvious that the Pens would be acquiring Shattenkirk as a rental

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Here's the thing...

If you're WSH or PIT, and you know that Shattenkirk is going to sign with NYR on 7/1 and you can't change his mind, do you still do it?

It makes your chances at the Cup easier.

But do you want to put out a lot for just a rental?

And if WISH/PIT are not going to trade a lot for a rental, but NYR perhaps has a better offer on the table for a "sign and trade" kind of deal...What does STL do?

Just thinking aloud, I guess.

Also, what connections would Lawton have here? Maybe STL is using him to spread info due to his past and connections?

Were hopefully going to take the best package offered. Simple as that regardless of who the team is. Thats where the Blues should be at. If they aren't happy with the package, then it will go down to the around 12 Wednesday.

I keep hearing Bruins and Rangers will just wait...which makes sence except Bergeron, Krecji, Backes and Rask are a year older..... same goes with the Rangers, Lundqvist will be another year older....he's slipping more frequently now. Burn this year and you may not get back to this level regardless of how good your system is.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Here's the thing...

If you're WSH or PIT, and you know that Shattenkirk is going to sign with NYR on 7/1 and you can't change his mind, do you still do it?

It makes your chances at the Cup easier.

But do you want to put out a lot for just a rental?

And if WISH/PIT are not going to trade a lot for a rental, but NYR perhaps has a better offer on the table for a "sign and trade" kind of deal...What does STL do?

Just thinking aloud, I guess.

Also, what connections would Lawton have here? Maybe STL is using him to spread info due to his past and connections?

I don't think either team is operating under the delusion, or even maybe the desire, that they sign him after the season. Both are pretty up against the cap and it sounds like he's going to be wanting a 7 x 7 deal. Looks like all teams not named NYR are well aware this is a rental situation.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Friedman said on NHLN that Rangers would probably give up 2nd and an average prospect.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I would love for the Pens to aquire Shatty, he could potentially do a lot to help our PP, ect..But with him bolting for the NYR after the season I just don't see a reason to do it. If he was going to stay and sign a deal I probably would be in favor of paying Armstrong what he wants in a deal

dillyboy93

Dec 3, 2012
Canada
On Insider Trading Bob Mckenzie just mentioned the Capitals as a runner for Shatty at the deadline, so I guess if there was any doubt that should be cleared up now. Mentioned that the Rangers were interested but that its starting to cool off for them. Price is said to be a 1st round pick + a prospect and maybe another piece.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
In both a short and long term outlook, Shattenkirk is exactly what the Devils need.

Forwards look like they're going to be good with recent draft picks and Hall/Henrique/Palmieri as the younger veterans on the NHL team. Goaltending is more than fine with Schneider.

But defense is bare. No future in the prospect pool behind Merrill, Santini, and Severson. Rykov looks like he could be an NHL defender, but when and if he comes over is the big question. Adding Shattenkirk gives the Devils a proven top-four (arguably top-two) defender. Sets the team up nicely for the future and we have plenty of space to give him term and salary.

Shattenkirk is not the player to fix the Devils D. NJ would have to pay him #1 D money to get him there; probably over 7.5m a year to get him there. If NJ wants to use their cap to overpay a player and put him in the wrong role more power to them. I encourage it.

The Schneider move cost the Devils a first round pick and took them out of the running to be bad enough to draft in top three in the excellent draft classes in the following years, all because Lou wanted to extend their window; and then he left.

The Schneider trade was a franchise crippling move. Overpaying Shattenkirk would be a close second.

Lustaf

Nov 26, 2008
Victoria, BC
On Insider Trading Bob Mckenzie just mentioned the Capitals as a runner for Shatty at the deadline, so I guess if there was any doubt that should be cleared up now. Mentioned that the Rangers were interested but that its starting to cool off for them. Price is said to be a 1st round pick + a prospect and maybe another piece.

1st + Pouliot. Go!

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Shattenkirk is not the player to fix the Devils D. NJ would have to pay him #1 D money to get him there; probably over 7.5m a year to get him there. If NJ wants to use their cap to overpay a player and put him in the wrong role more power to them. I encourage it.

The Schneider move cost the Devils a first round pick and took them out of the running to be bad enough to draft in top three in the excellent draft classes in the following years, all because Lou wanted to extend their window; and then he left.

The Schneider trade was a franchise crippling move. Overpaying Shattenkirk would be a close second.

*losing Parise, Kovalchuk and Clarkson (30 goal scorer) for nothing in a 2 year window, poor drafting all around + the inevitable decline of Elias were franchise crippling, not the trade for Schneider.

And I think you need to double check how much cap space the Devils actually have. It's absurd. They need to use it on something. And sure overpaying is never something you want to do but we need better defensemen and Shattenkirk is better than probably everyone we currently have, so yea it makes sense to try and get him no matter the cost.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I don't think either team is operating under the delusion, or even maybe the desire, that they sign him after the season. Both are pretty up against the cap and it sounds like he's going to be wanting a 7 x 7 deal. Looks like all teams not named NYR are well aware this is a rental situation.

That's legit. I think this is likely the case.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

If it means anything, the caps were supposed to have recalled a forward, and they haven't done that

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007

Yea I agree, drafting an elite goalie in the 7th round was also pretty franchise crippling though. All it made you do was avoid bottoming out and getting a top 3 pick. That's clearly the only way to define success (unless you win a Cup but.. well.. yea..). Given a team coming off a SCF berth needed to shut things down and start tanking ASAP, makes you wonder why the Rangers haven't done that yet..

It's okay. We'll both be crippled franchise forever together <3

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
*losing Parise, Kovalchuk and Clarkson (30 goal scorer) for nothing in a 2 year window, poor drafting all around + the inevitable decline of Elias were franchise crippling, not the trade for Schneider.

And I think you need to double check how much cap space the Devils actually have. It's absurd. They need to use it on something. And sure overpaying is never something you want to do but we need better defensemen and Shattenkirk is better than probably everyone we currently have, so yea it makes sense to try and get him no matter the cost.

Schneider trade took the Devils out of the running for McDavid and Mathews. The Kovalchuk deal cost the Devils ZP. Self inflicted, voluntarily moves.

In the movie, Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle there is a line involving the anatomy of a moose that is applicable to this situation.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yea I agree, drafting an elite goalie in the 7th round was also pretty franchise crippling though. All it made you do was avoid bottoming out and getting a top 3 pick. That's clearly the only way to define success (unless you win a Cup but.. well.. yea..). Given a team coming off a SCF berth needed to shut things down and start tanking ASAP, makes you wonder why the Rangers haven't done that yet..

It's okay. We'll both be crippled franchise forever together <3

Horrible, lazy comparison. Don't quit your day job.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Horrible, lazy comparison. Don't quit your day job.

0 cups
0 top 3 picks

I dunno, seems pretty similar. Obviously you need to get the top 3 picks first before you get your elite goalie. Both the Devils and Rangers did it wrong. Franchise crippling.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
0 cups
0 top 3 picks

I dunno, seems pretty similar. Obviously you need to get the top 3 picks first before you get your elite goalie. Both the Devils and Rangers did it wrong. Franchise crippling.

The Rangers drafted Lundqvist in the 7th round. Schneider cost the Devils a first and took them out of position to take elite franchise changing talent. The Rangers have not had the luxury of putting themselves is that situation because a 7th found pick of their own choosing turned into a Hall of Famer.

The Devils voluntarily made a bad trade for Schneider to try to keep themselves relevant as a franchise post-Brodeur, as well as make a big splash in front of their home crowd at the draft.

Lundqvist has kept the Rangers as a playoff contender the last three years since the Schneider trade whereas the Devils have not make the playoffs with Schneider as their primary starter; albeit not being bad enough to do the full rebuild that the team needed, missing out on the best prospects to enter the league since the lockout in the progress when they should have been bad enough to take those players.

If you cannot see the difference I don't have anything else to say to you.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Schneider trade took the Devils out of the running for McDavid and Mathews. The Kovalchuk deal cost the Devils ZP. Self inflicted, voluntarily moves.

In the movie Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle there is a line involving the anatomy of a moose that is applicable to this situation.

I feel like I'm on the Devils board right now lol

Awful stuff

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
As I said, STL trying to get other teams interested to force the Rangers to pay more. We will see if it works or not.

Non-NY media sources have reported that other teams ACTUALLY are interested....I don't think the interest is in question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad