Rumor: Friedman/McKenzie: Shattenkirk trying to pick his spot, and it's the Rangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Non-NY media sources have reported that other teams ACTUALLY are interested....I don't think the interest is in question.

Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. I think it's more likely STL is leaking this to try and get a better deal out of the Rangers. It's a common tactic. We will see what happens

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
As I said, STL trying to get other teams interested to force the Rangers to pay more. We will see if it works or not.

More likely Brooksie saw your post and wrote an article about it.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Maybe they are, maybe they aren't. I think it's more likely STL is leaking this to try and get a better deal out of the Rangers. It's a common tactic. We will see what happens

It's a common tactic that's used to get a better deal from all interested teams, not just the Rangers.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013

Caps are the more likely destination.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It's a common tactic that's used to get a better deal from all interested teams, not just the Rangers.

Sure. That is Armstrong's job isn't it? Also is this thread not the Shattenkirk wants to go to the Rangers according to Friedman and McKenzie thread?

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
I think I missed that article. Care to share a link to a good source stating that?

You've missed the multiple sources, including a NY media source, stating that the Blues
and Caps are talking? Do your own research.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Sure. That is Armstrong's job isn't it? Also is this thread not the Shattenkirk wants to go to the Rangers according to Friedman and McKenzie thread?

It's essentially turned into a Shattenkirk megathread. Besides, there's nothing much else to discuss regarding Shattenkirk and the Rangers, I think everything has mostly been said.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I think I missed that article. Care to share a link to a good source stating that?

Blues will trade Shattenkirk to the highest bidder, obv.

They have zero obligations to send him to the RANGERs now. If the RANGERs give the best offer, then ok. Otherwise, he will wind up somewhere else. Caps could be desperate for their first Cup, and have arguably the best team going and a "win this year, or else" mantra with all their FA issues.

So the RANGERs will need to pony up, and top all offers. Make no mistakes about that.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Mckenzie said it on insider trading tonight.

Ah missed that. I just moved this weekend and don't have cable set up yet. I haven't seen anything to suggest that the Rangers aren't favorites for Shattenkirk, but whatever happens happens. I don't think the Capitals system is any better than the Rangers honestly. And I think they would be terrified of making another potential Erat trade but what do I know? I remember when the Thrashers traded Kovalchuk they demanded Marc Staal (when he was good) + from the Rangers and wound up taking a pu pu platter from the Devils. Anything can happen.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You've missed the multiple sources, including a NY media source, stating that the Blues
and Caps are talking? Do your own research.

I have made my opinions known based on the information that I have been presented. I also have no cable right now so all I have is HF and the refresh button on my iPhone browser. :)

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
I have made my opinions known based on the information that I have been presented. I also have no cable right now so all I have is HF and the refresh button on my iPhone browser. :)

Fair enough. The Rangers might be the "favorites" for UFA in the summer (though I think there will be some competition there as well), but the highest bidder will win the "rental" race at the TDL and he makes a lot of sense for multiple teams as a rental...particularly b.c the Blues would probably be willing to retain his salary for the right deal.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Fair enough. The Rangers might be the "favorites" for UFA in the summer (though I think there will be some competition there as well), but the highest bidder will win the "rental" race at the TDL and he makes a lot of sense for multiple teams as a rental...particularly b.c the Blues would probably be willing to retain his salary for the right deal.

I don't think salary retention is a factor here. KS is about to go UFA so there isn't a long term cap obligation. Usually salary retention is only down to squeeze a player under the cap. I can't comment on the other teams but I believe that NYR have at least 8m is space at the deadline so there is no need for STL to retain as an incentive in this scenario.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I don't see any reason for the Rangers to trade for him. Let him go to WSH/PIT or whoever at pure rental value. He still has exceptional value as a rental; he makes any contender more formidable. Rangers only need to leak the fact that they have interest in signing him come July 1st and you can bet your bottom he will at least wait to hear their offer before signing an extension anywhere else. Rangers get him if they can agree on terms in the summer. No need to move any assets. Let teams bid on him purely as a rental for this year's playoffs. There could still be a bidding war just between conference rivals trying to get the edge over one another while simultaneously trying to block the competition from improving.

mike30

Jul 17, 2014
New York
Elliotte Friedman‏Verified account @FriedgeHNIC 49s49 seconds ago
More
Lots of rumblings today about WASH having interest in Shattenkirk, we'll see...STL/WASH asking for a trade call..

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't think I've read anywhere from one good source that Gorton's plan was to add a big name RHD.

Everyone knows the Rangers need RHD, but I've always read that he was trying to acquire a young RHD on a cheap contract. I don't think he wants anything to do with a RHD on a big contract.

I hope he sticks to what we are told is his plan for the team. Let others get into a bidding war for this rental. Stay out of it. Sit out the trade deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad