Rumor: Friedman/McKenzie: Shattenkirk trying to pick his spot, and it's the Rangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
They have a generational talent in net who's getting up there in age and one of the best offences in the league, I think they should go for it even though they know he'll sign there anyway. As long as it's for a Draft Pick or something

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
There are a few problems with this theory.

A. After his huge gaffe last year at the deadline, I'd like to think Gorton isn't dumb enough to give up anything of substance for a rental this season.
B. Is Shattenkirk really going to take a pay cut on his last big contract to play with the Rangers? And this ought to be a big pay cut, not 100k here or there.
C. Even if he wants to take a big pay cut, does it make sense for the Rangers? Should they give Shattenkirk 6M per season until he's 35? Or should the Rangers try to get a younger PMD?

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State

A. After his huge gaffe last year at the deadline, I'd like to think Gorton isn't dumb enough to give up anything of substance for a rental this season.
B. Is Shattenkirk really going to take a pay cut on his last big contract to play with the Rangers? And this ought to be a big pay cut, not 100k here or there.
C. Even if he wants to take a big pay cut, does it make sense for the Rangers? Should they give Shattenkirk 6M per season until he's 35? Or should the Rangers try to get a younger PMD?

A. He wouldn't be a rental, I'm sure it would be a prerequisite that he's re-signing with NYR.
B. He's apparently always wanted to play for the Rangers, he even has "New Yorker at heart" in his twitter bio. He vetoed a trade with a lucrative contract from Tampa, where taxes are far lower than NY. So I think it's safe to say he'd take a discount to play in NY.
C. The Rangers are competitive now, and they'll always be a prime destination for free agents so I really think they get by fine without acquiring young talent through drafting.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
A. He wouldn't be a rental, I'm sure it would be a prerequisite that he's re-signing with NYR.
B. He's apparently always wanted to play for the Rangers, he even has "New Yorker at heart" in his twitter bio. He vetoed a trade with a lucrative contract from Tampa, where taxes are far lower than NY. So I think it's safe to say he'd take a discount to play in NY.
C. The Rangers are competitive now, and they'll always be a prime destination for free agents so I really think they get by fine without acquiring young talent through drafting.

Okay, so then you've narrowed it down to two things to take into account, instead of three. Still, that pay cut better be big. I could see him getting 7M on the open market, so would he over 5M less over the course of his contract? If so, then its down to whether the Rangers want to give out that type of contract.

Everyone complains about Girardi and Staal's contract, but you'd be giving more money and more years to Shattenkirk than those two got. Are Ranger fans going to be complaining after two years? And then you have five years left on a terrible contract?

I don't think its such an easy decision to add Shattenkirk, even if he wants to take a pay-cut, and I would give up nothing for him at this trade deadline. I am done giving up anything for a rental. We've gotten worse the last two trade deadlines after making big acquisitions. Buying at the trade deadline is very poor asset management.

RORbacon

May 14, 2014
Central Illinois

In regards to B.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
http://nypost.com/2017/02/25/everyone-is-talking-with-rangers-about-a-j-t-miller-trade/

Larry Brooks chimes in. The Garden feeds the Post info because the Garden dislikes the Daily News, which is the rival paper of the Post. They do it for the Knicks too, probably more so for the Knicks, but they do it for both. I trust what he says when it comes to the Rangers more than McKenzie or Friedman.

He's saying Shattenkirk to the Rangers isn't happening at the deadline, unless the price is lowered.

He's said for over a year that he doesn't think there's a fit here, and he's usually right when it comes to Rangers news.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens

That was Sather, not Gorton

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
That was Sather, not Gorton

So Sather's running Gorton's team? All we've heard for like two years is that Gorton runs the team day to day and Sather would only make the big decisions. When Sather relinquished the GM role, the big decisions were supposed to go to Gorton, so I don't think it was Sather. Gorton takes the fall for that. I find it hard to believe he didn't make that deal, unless anyone has proof, otherwise.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Excellent. Shattenkirk will sign on July 1st for a discounted rate and fill in a huge hole in the Rangers lineup.

His price at the deadline should be worth as an absolute rental. The Rangers shouldn't move assets for him. Get a guy like Brendan Smith for now, or swing for the fences and move in for a Tanev.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
http://nypost.com/2017/02/25/everyone-is-talking-with-rangers-about-a-j-t-miller-trade/

Larry Brooks chimes in. The Garden feeds the Post info because the Garden dislikes the Daily News, which is the rival paper of the Post. They do it for the Knicks too, probably more so for the Knicks, but they do it for both. I trust what he says when it comes to the Rangers more than McKenzie or Friedman.

He's saying Shattenkirk to the Rangers isn't happening at the deadline, unless the price is lowered.

He's said for over a year that he doesn't think there's a fit here, and he's usually right when it comes to Rangers news.

Yep. If Brooks has this, it's straight from the horse's mouth.

Did MSG ever lift the ban on 1 on 1 interviews by the Daily News?

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
So Sather's running Gorton's team? All we've heard for like two years is that Gorton runs the team day to day and Sather would only make the big decisions. When Sather relinquished the GM role, the big decisions were supposed to go to Gorton, so I don't think it was Sather. Gorton takes the fall for that. I find it hard to believe he didn't make that deal, unless anyone has proof, otherwise.

Sather still had final say at that point. Gorton didn't have full reigns of the team until the draft. Not the mention that one could just look at it logical and determine that it was a Sather move and not a Gorton move. It's one's style and not the others.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The Rangers still have to offer up more for Shattenkirk than other teams are offering up for him as a rental. He doesn't have a NTC. All this means is that STL won't get as much for him as he isn't willing to sign an extension with anybody else so if they trade him they have to trade him as a rental which is less valuable than a long term piece with an extension in place.

It looks like the Rangers have about 10M to fill up 4 contract spots not counting ZBad. They might be looking at about 3M of that just being eaten up by those 4 contracts give or take. Zibanejad is their only major guy and if they go long term that's at least 5M per season player. Zibanejad has two more years under RFA control so if they wanted to squeeze a smaller cap hit out of him they could go to arbitration, but that doesn't seem like a smart route to go down. So that leaves them very little for Shattenkirk.

So maybe because of this, a trade makes more sense if the Rangers can send something of value that is attached to a bit of a cap hit back STL way. Otherwise, I'm not sure how they'd fit in Shattenkirk as a UFA.

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016
Where do they get such inside info?...

Probably Shattenkirk's agent, presenting the info so other teams are weary and kind of pressures NYR to make a move for him. Also helps NYR the team he prefers by either A) not getting rid of any assets or B) lowering the cost to acquire

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Excellent. Shattenkirk will sign on July 1st for a discounted rate and fill in a huge hole in the Rangers lineup.

His price at the deadline should be worth as an absolute rental. The Rangers shouldn't move assets for him. Get a guy like Brendan Smith for now, or swing for the fences and move in for a Tanev.

:laugh:

I'm sure that's his plan

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Where do they get such inside info?...

I don't think these guys get info from backdoor dealings, I think agents and teams blatantly use them to push a narrative. In this case, someone from Shattenkirk's side was probably happy to leak this. If teams take this as legit, how many will want to trade for him knowing they have no chance of re-signing him? Increases his chances of getting to the club he apparently wants to be on, if this is all true.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I hate seeing this stuff because I know how frustrating it can be to lose a quality player for an underwhelming or zero return.

Ultimately it is probably St. Louis' own fault for signing a guy only through RFA years. Saved some cash but left a dicey situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad