Friedman 31 Thoughts (Jets)

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This is a good debate. Is he or isn’t he ready?

I think every prospect has their path and they all won’t be the same. I would love for a switch to go off for Niku and have him transform his defensive game like Morrissey did but that might not happen. The transformation of Josh’s game was almost bizarre in one season in the AHL and I am not expecting us to capture lightning in a bottle twice.

I remember watching Sergachev in Windsor last year and thinking how good he looked but his “defensive consistency” was not NHL ready. It turns out I was partially right and he would have his ups and downs this season but mostly I was wrong due to undervaluing the team’s ability to shelter him and his ability to adapt to a new challenge given his skill set. Mikhail still makes mistakes but he is in the right league and he is thriving.

Sami is not Mikail or Josh but he will have his path too. At some point here budget is going to get real fast and we will need cost controlled assets playing in the NHL. I wish I could tell you what is going to happen next year but I can’t. I feel Niku will be able to play a sheltered bottom pairing role as soon as next season but I have no idea if the Jets are going to take that risk yet.

Still lots of season and post season left to play out then a full off season of development so let’s see how things look in September. I think we all agree on one thing though.....how cool is it to be having this debate about a really talented 7th round draft pick!!!

Looking back to his draft it seems to me that he has been on a steep development curve the whole time. There is no reason to believe that this has leveled off yet. Based on that, I expect he will be ready by September. Ready means for 3rd pair, sheltered.

There is no way to confirm that now. All we can do is continue to watch and wait.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You may not see it as subjectively reasonable, however the only empirical evidence I’ve found (polling of player agents) suggests that Winnipeg and Edmonton are the two teams most likely to appear on a no-trade list. As such, if we are to use the empirical evidence we have at hand to make an assumption, it would logically be that the jets would appear on a given no-trade list (along with the oilers).

Perhaps that is changing, but for many reasons I would imagine those two teams would still be near the top in terms of no trade list appearances.

That's evidence of a probability. You can't base an absolute determination of whether or not a thing is on a probability.

The original statement was that Karlsson absolutely would not accept a trade to Winnipeg. We could be on his no trade list, even top of the list and he could waive to come here. The picture has changed since his list was presumably made out.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
31 Thoughts: How NHL could give Jaromir Jagr a proper send-off

A: A California King Sized Bed filled with women?

Reactions: Oseductive

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I really enjoyed the Pascal Vincent story. Love how our organization does things, even if it frustrates us sometimes. I think they are building a sustainably successful organization, at all levels. Good on them! (and for us :) )

Reactions: Saintb and ps241

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Karlsson will never agree to be traded to Winnipeg. I get we’re trending upwards as a franchise, but its not happening
I don't know, I never saw Chris Pronger playing for the Oilers, but he almost won them the cup.

It's not likely but I wouldn't be shellshocked if it happened. If we kept Buff I might lose my mind though between those two :laugh:

As for the 'he controls where he goes...' EK is a very competitive fellow and he obviously wants to win a cup. He's used to the climate and if he sees Winnipeg as a legit contender for the next few years, he might be willing to sign. *shrugs*

Jets2point0

Oct 14, 2017
2 things:

1. No bets for money on HF. You can make an avatar bet (or something else non-monetary), but no bets for $$ can be arranged here.
  2. How are you going to get a hold of his no-trade list? Without this, the outcome would be based on someone's opinion, and not fact. Is it likely? Sure, but without the actual list, it's not 100% provable.

1. Okay, got it

2. People got defensive when I said he wouldn’t come here, after others mentioned its a possibility. At the end of the day, if you had to place EK on the spectrum of absolutely to absolutely not, he is WAY closer to absolutely not, but others saw my post as some kind of ‘anti-winnipeg bias’ which couldnt be further from the truth, its just being a realist. Anyone betting smart money would agree he isn’t come here

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I too can see Enstrom wanting to extend, and open to being cheap.

The question will be more on whether or not the Jets wish to as well.

It was reported when he waived his NMC last summer that he was promised a 1 year extension as a thank you for waiving the NMC. I can't see them going back on that if that was actually promised esp considering he has looked solid this season and the coach clearly sees Chiarot as more of a #7D

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It was reported when he waived his NMC last summer that he was promised a 1 year extension as a thank you for waiving the NMC. I can't see them going back on that if that was actually promised esp considering he has looked solid this season and the coach clearly sees Chiarot as more of a #7D
I think speculated is more accurate. I can't remember a single credible source saying this was an actual agreement.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I think speculated is more accurate. I can't remember a single credible source saying this was an actual agreement.

IIRC, it was reported by Jacob Stoller of JetsNation, he has scooped a couple of things about the Jets in the past and clearly had a source. I believe he was also the one to break the story that Toby has waived but I could be wrong on that one.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
IIRC, it was reported by Jacob Stoller of JetsNation, he has scooped a couple of things about the Jets in the past and clearly had a source. I believe he was also the one to break the story that Toby has waived but I could be wrong on that one.
If you have the link I'd like to read it. I'm not opposed to re-signing Toby for a year at a reduced price.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Why would Enstrom take a reduced rate if he has the Jets over the barrel on a gentleman's agreement? I'd think he'd want the same as now.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Why would Enstrom take a reduced rate if he has the Jets over the barrel on a gentleman's agreement? I'd think he'd want the same as now.
He's made his money. Rumour was he was retiring after season. I think he takes just over million. He's no where near his earnings now btw
If he asks for too much they say goodbye. And I think he likes it here so maybe here or bust.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
How do you figure that? What over the barrel? What was reported is if Toby waived Chevy would try to keep him a Jet during the ED and he did that by dropping down from 13 to 24 in the draft. There was never anything further reported on an UFA extension other then some speculation far removed from the Jets.

Reactions: JetBlue420

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I don't know if a Marlies reporter actually counts as a Jets insider?

He used to cover the Jets and write for JetsNation until the beginning of this season. Looks like he moved to Toronto recently and is now covering the Marlies but he was a Jets insider until then and broke a couple of things that I can't recall at the moment.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
He used to cover the Jets and write for JetsNation until the beginning of this season. Looks like he moved to Toronto recently and is now covering the Marlies but he was a Jets insider until then and broke a couple of things that I can't recall at the moment.
You can't recall, because it didn't happen. Jacob is a good kid, but he was never an insider.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
You can't recall, because it didn't happen.

It wasn't anything big but I definitely seem to recall him revealing something that led me to think that he has some reliable sources

Edit: Found atleast one instance of him breaking something Jets related

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I really think Enstrom is ready for say goodbye and return to Sweden.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
We could use some help at LH d. Especially if it keeps Chiarot out of the lineup in the playoffs.

I don’t know if Toby can stay healthy.

Reactions: JetsFan815

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

He can want the moon. No way he is getting the same as now, even on a 1 year deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad