Friedman 31 Thoughts (Jets)

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Toby is awesome. Even a fraction of Toby is better than a whole Chariot.

I thought he's been good this year and has been improving since he was out with injury.

I'd love to have Toby back as a 7th D or Niku insurance policy.

If the Jets have a strong playoffs this year he might be tempted to give it one more kick.

Reactions: Huffer

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Toby is awesome. Even a fraction of Toby is better than a whole Chariot.

I thought he's been good this year and has been improving since he was out with injury.

I'd love to have Toby back as a 7th D or Niku insurance policy.

If the Jets have a strong playoffs this year he might be tempted to give it one more kick.

My thoughts as well. If Toby is willing to sign a cheaper 1 year deal to come back next year I would take that in a second.

Teamoo

Jan 20, 2016
"31 Thoughts: There aren’t as many ‘untouchable’ players as you think
Elliotte Friedman
February 20, 2018, 8:18 PM

2. It sounds like Winnipeg is having some trouble adding what it wants because no-trade/no-move clauses get in the way.
If I was a rental, or even someone with a year left, I would be very interested in the Jets. This is such a crazy league with a thin margin for victory you can’t predict success. But, if I needed to be put into position for a big next contract, why not?
They have great talent, they score and the rewards are high if you succeed in Canada. Life is a gamble, this would be a good bet.
3. The Jets took a look at Mike Hoffman, who has two years remaining. What a fit he would have been.
It was complex, as Winnipeg is on his no-trade list, which means the Senators had to ask high to even consider going to the player. No dice, both sides moves on."

Hoffman would have been nice, wonder would the cost be...

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
I don't get how players coming up on UFA would hold their NMC/NTC. It's joining a team for a few months for a run and then go wherever you want...

jets2020champs

Nov 6, 2016
Canada
Winnipeg is on Hoffman’s no trade list even when the Jets are pushing for a playoff run? Didn’t his dad coach Scheifele? There’s got to be something there than just not liking Winnipeg. I wonder if there was any ill feelings between players, families, or was advised he might not make the team with all the Jets prospects.

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
Winnipeg is on Hoffman’s no trade list even when the Jets are pushing for a playoff run? Didn’t his dad coach Scheifele? There’s got to be something there than just not liking Winnipeg. I wonder if there was any ill feelings between players, families, or was advised he might not make the team with all the Jets prospects.

I think the lists are delivered on schedule and after that changes would need to be mutually agreed? So while he might have agreed they would need to discuss with him which is sometimed a cost in itself.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
This whole NMC-NTC is frustrating. I understand it is a right that is earned, but in a league that is attempting to implement parody as much as they can, markets like Winnipeg/Edmonton will be essentially up against a wall forever. Winning will help, but it still makes it difficult for a GM to properly do his job.

Again, I understand it's a players right that he's earned.. but, I could see it being extremely frustrating.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
This whole NMC-NTC is frustrating. I understand it is a right that is earned, but in a league that is attempting to implement parody

This made me smile.

It is what it is. And actually in some ways it may end up saving Chevy from himself. Perhaps it already has. You can still trade for younger players before their NTC become effective.

Jets2point0

Oct 14, 2017
I wish everyone would stop citing 4 games as proof of an irreversible trend.

In fairness though, that 4 game sample size in playoff hockey is the ONLY sample size so realistically theres more reason to doubt his abilities in the playoffs than to think hes going to excel

Jets2point0

Oct 14, 2017

I think in a way its perfect because it weeds out players with potentially bad character and winning isn’t everything to them.

If a player isn’t willing to waive their NTC to play for a stanley cup contender because they are taking a 3-15 month hit in lifestyle, do we REALLY want that player anyways?

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Why would Enstrom take a reduced rate if he has the Jets over the barrel on a gentleman's agreement? I'd think he'd want the same as now.

Wait, what?

He hasn't potted a goal in a season's worth of games. His current agreement was based off of when he was a 50 point per season man. He has 5 so far this year.

Reactions: STZD

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Wait, what?

He hasn't potted a goal in a season's worth of games. His current agreement was based off of when he was a 50 point per season man. He has 5 so far this year.
This post was from so long ago. Ppl said Enstrom had a gentleman agreement about being resigned. I said if that's the case I'm surprised he doesn't ask for more than a million. Than ppl pointed out I was wrong.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
This whole NMC-NTC is frustrating. I understand it is a right that is earned, but in a league that is attempting to implement parody as much as they can, markets like Winnipeg/Edmonton will be essentially up against a wall forever. Winning will help, but it still makes it difficult for a GM to properly do his job.

Again, I understand it's a players right that he's earned.. but, I could see it being extremely frustrating.

Then it's up to the Jets to do the best they can to change players perceptions so they will want to come here. Which they are doing IMO.
But there is a percentage of players who don't care about winning. They want their money and they want it to be warm when they are not playing.

After the Jets win the Cup there will be some players second guessing their choice to putting Winnipeg on the do not trade me too list. If they would rather play their whole careers in Arizona or Florida, it's their loss.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
If the Jets don't sign Enstrom, are they going to run with Morrissey, Kulikov and Niku?

Or would we rather look at signing someone like Kempny or Barberio?

What's the budget here? $2.5M? I think I'd take Enstrom at $2.5M for the next season or two.

Reactions: Huffer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad