News Article: Friedman 30 Thoughts (Jets)

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I'd rather us just sign two of Weircoch, Postma or Franson and be done with it.

Kulikov may not be the end of the world at under 2 million a year for 1-2 years or less for a moderate Chiarot upgrade, not anything more than that though. Why use that roster spot on someone that is barely a Chiarot upgrade? I can see why the Jets love him though, takes tons of penalties, would fit in like a glove with the bunch we have at the Jets :laugh:

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
Kulikov in and out of Florida is night and day.

cd7n9HS.png

His last WOWYs with Florida were his worst yet - until he got to Buffalo. Playing with Ristolainen certainly doesn't help your CA60 numbers, though it can bump your CF60 a bit.

If Jets did sign him, it truly would be a reclamation project. But that also certainly means I wouldn't pay him a lot of money or term.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Keep in mind, he had a back injury in the preseason and missed half the season. I think it's safe to say he wasn't playing 100% last season.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I'd rather us just sign two of Weircoch, Postma or Franson and be done with it.

Kulikov may not be the end of the world at under 2 million a year for 1-2 years or less for a moderate Chiarot upgrade, not anything more than that though. Why use that roster spot on someone that is barely a Chiarot upgrade? I can see why the Jets love him though, takes tons of penalties, would fit in like a glove with the bunch we have at the Jets :laugh:

Exactly! With LOTS of cap space (18.5 with only Hellebuyck and Copp unsigned) plus a changing landscape in the Central, maybe now is the time to get a little pushy?

Honestly my dream scenario would be Mason, Smith, and Bonino. Would still be happy with Elliott, Wiercoch, and a forward. Definitely want a bottom 6 C though.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Kulikov in and out of Florida is night and day.

cd7n9HS.png

His last WOWYs with Florida were his worst yet - until he got to Buffalo. Playing with Ristolainen certainly doesn't help your CA60 numbers, though it can bump your CF60 a bit.

If Jets did sign him, it truly would be a reclamation project. But that also certainly means I wouldn't pay him a lot of money or term.

He was already bad in Florida. Reclamation would be from "really bad" to just "bad".

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
He's averaged 21 mins/GP for about 5-6 seasons now. His CF/60 has tanked for the past few years while his CA/60 has skyrocketed. His Corsi relative % has also been on a downward trend. I see no reclamation project here, I simply see a bad player.

Much like Brian Strait, maybe Chevy has had his eye on Kulikov for some time, as well. ;)

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
He was already bad in Florida. Reclamation would be from "really bad" to just "bad".

03to6iV.png

I believe "average" is the word you're looking for.

Let's be brutally honest. There's really nothing special about Kulikov. The only LHD on the market that is 'special' in any sort of way is Brian Campbell, but he's getting up there in age. The Jets are shopping for a name that isn't "Mark Stuart" and comes at a cheap cost for 2 years.

Last edited:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Kulikov wouldn't be my first choice, but if we can't sign a Del Zotto or Smith, and other D aren't available for anything reasonable, I wouldn't mind signing him. I like him better than Chariot.

WerdnaG

Jun 27, 2017
Exactly! With LOTS of cap space (18.5 with only Hellebuyck and Copp unsigned) plus a changing landscape in the Central, maybe now is the time to get a little pushy?

Honestly my dream scenario would be Mason, Smith, and Bonino. Would still be happy with Elliott, Wiercoch, and a forward. Definitely want a bottom 6 C though.

Exactly. If not now, then when? This team is only going to be good enough if Chevy and Co make it good enough. Chicago has basically dismantled their team, Nashville lost one of their best offensive players, Dallas has gotten better with adding Bishop in net...but with Colorado and Vegas stinking it up...now is a good time.

I think I'd rather Elliott over Mason tbh, but I was pretty choked to see Bishop go to Dallas.

There is definitely some work to be done in this set of free agency. Hopefully they actually do something this year.

WerdnaG

Jun 27, 2017
Kulikov wouldn't be my first choice, but if we can't sign a Del Zotto or Smith, and other D aren't available for anything reasonable, I wouldn't mind signing him. I like him better than Chariot.

Why does everyone keep going on about Smith. I know he was highly thought of once, but I thought je jad fallen a long ways?

Ive had my finger off the pulse for awhile.

Del Zotto would be the dream though.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Why does everyone keep going on about Smith. I know he was highly thought of once, but I thought je jad fallen a long ways?

I think it's really because there is next to nothing good via UFA. Campbell (old), and Del Zotto and Smith are really the only average to above average guys on the list. Possibly add Daley as well.

I'd rather have Del Zotto as well. I've never been too enamored with Smith, and his marshmallow soft play in the Rangers elimination game in the playoffs cemented that.

Speaking of Daley, what do the numbers say about him?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

im wondering that too...

this UFA class sucks, gotta go the trade route.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
03to6iV.png

I believe "average" is the word you're looking for.

Let's be brutally honest. There's really nothing special about Kulikov. The only LHD on the market that is 'special' in any sort of way is Brian Campbell, but he's getting up there in age. The Jets are shopping for a name that isn't "Mark Stuart" and comes at a cheap cost for 2 years.

I don't understand why they would not be looking for a #2. He can play 3rd pair for a year and then move when Toby leaves/moves down. A younger player with upside. But if all they want is an upgrade on Chia then Wiercioch looks good for it. I would still prefer Jon Merrill though and I don't care that we would have to trade for him as long as the price is not exorbitant. Petan or Dano should do it. Isn't that what we kept them for?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Del Zotto is not a good idea, IMO. In fact - horrible. Before Philly got him Nashville traded for him, paid a decent price. After less than a half season they couldn't give him away so they let him walk. Philly finally signed him late in FA because they were desperate for D at the time. They gave him a show me contract and he showed them. They gave him a nice 2 year contract and he went back in the sewer. Now they are letting him walk.

I don't know what the problem is and I don't want to speculate. Could be anything. But don't touch Del Zotto with the proverbial 10 ft pole. Not even if he offers to pay us.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If Chevy signs Mason/Elliot to 2-3 year deal and follows that with 1-2 year deal for Kulikov I'll day oh damm.
That's a deadly looking roster.

Kulikov had a pretty terrible year didnt he?

He got injured in the pre season and never recovered.
In Buffalo he was expected to be the go to LD but in Winnipeg he'd have Morrisse& Enstrom to help him.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
This is why:

sIevsHL.jpg
[/IMG]

There is cause for caution - your assessment for 1, but that is strong shot suppression.

i have watched smith for years as a Wing. He is not consistent. a 30 game sample size doesnt make up for years of illadvised penalties and turnovers leading directly to goals

edit - just saw it was from 2015=2017. again, stats wise sure he might look good, but ive seen to much inconsistencies and bone headed plays from him. guy is all tools, no tool box, good size, speed, good shot which he doesnt use enough of, but for every great play he makes, it's followed by 2 that leave you scratching your head

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
(The graph above is 2015 to 2017, ie: last 3 seasons, for the top part and past five seasons for the bottom part.)

yea just caught that. ive watched the guy play, dont really care what the stats say, ill-advised penalties and turnovers are his specialty, i guess he would fit right in?

WerdnaG

Jun 27, 2017
Del Zotto is not a good idea, IMO. In fact - horrible. Before Philly got him Nashville traded for him, paid a decent price. After less than a half season they couldn't give him away so they let him walk. Philly finally signed him late in FA because they were desperate for D at the time. They gave him a show me contract and he showed them. They gave him a nice 2 year contract and he went back in the sewer. Now they are letting him walk.

I don't know what the problem is and I don't want to speculate. Could be anything. But don't touch Del Zotto with the proverbial 10 ft pole. Not even if he offers to pay us.

Yea see? Pretty out of touch. Last I had heard about MDZ, he was doing pretty good in Philly. Guess he had a bad year. I havent really followed hockey much this year.

WerdnaG

Jun 27, 2017
BTW, why I'm advocating for nothing more than a 2-year guy is because the class in two years (Summer 2019) is much, much better if players choose to go UFA:

GGTwN1w.png

A lot of those guys are unattainable af. Doughty and McDonoagh? Forget it. Not happening. Same with Stralman, and OEL.

The only on there that we could concievable sign that are worth while are Gardiner, Hjalmarrson and maybe Edler.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad