News Article: Friedman 30 Thoughts (Jets)

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
15. There are Los Angeles connections in Philadelphia, which is why rumours of the Flyers’ interest in Bernier keeps popping up. Vancouver apparently is offering Miller an incentive-laden contract, so we’ll see where that goes. Johnson could go back to Calgary to back up Smith. You get to battle for the top spot in Philadelphia, Winnipeg and Vancouver, but the only really wide-open job is in Arizona.

So there's really only 3 teams competing with us for starters and if Vancouver extends Miller and Philly takes Bernier, it is only us and Arizona offering 1 or 1a jobs.

I like that.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So there's really only 3 teams competing with us for starters and if Vancouver extends Miller and Philly takes Bernier, it is only us and Arizona offering 1 or 1a jobs.

I like that.

Doesn't seem likely that Arizona would want Raanta, since he's a UFA in a season. They are cheap, cheap, cheap....

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
One of the guys from the goalie magazine was on TSN a while ago and mentioned lack struggles off the rush yet does well in zone play. He mentioned a lot of his struggles in Carolina came from the team giving up a lot of rush opportunities.

Not sure if that would help or hinder him here in Winnipeg but I remember hearing PoMo say they were trying to get the rush chances down last season and succeeded in that to some degree at an earlyish point in the season.

For what it's worth...

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Doesn't seem likely that Arizona would want Raanta, since he's a UFA in a season. They are cheap, cheap, cheap....

If Vegas passes on Raanta, we should pick him up immediately. The next two weeks will be very telling as to whether the Jets want to ice a winning team or not. It's not feasible to expect the Jets to make the playoffs if they do not land a reliable goaltender.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If Vegas passes on Raanta, we should pick him up immediately. The next two weeks will be very telling as to whether the Jets want to ice a winning team or not. It's not feasible to expect the Jets to make the playoffs if they do not land a reliable goaltender.

I'm pretty sure that the Jets want to ice a winning team. :laugh:

Whether they make the right moves to do that --- time will tell.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

Why would the Rags get rid of a cheap serviceable goalie like Raanta if Vegas doesn't select him?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
so you don't think he's worth much in trade and if you were the Rangers, you'd let him play out his contract and leave in a year.

The King seems more injury prone lately. Raanta seems like good insurance. They could even still move him before the deadline for perhaps even more than they get now. It was my impression he was only on the market because the Rags thought he would be lost in the XD. I suspect he is now a VGN by now anyway so it's probably moot.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-trade-value-first-round-pick/

11. Goalie market: there is a lot of expectation of Ryan Miller to Anaheim for approximately $1 million, although I’m not sure if bonuses will be added to that. It makes a lot of sense. Winnipeg has Eric Comrie in the AHL, but the Jets are looking for a veteran to pair with Connor Hellebuyck  which indicates Brian Elliott or Steve Mason. Los Angeles appears ready to have Jack Campbell as Jonathan Quick’s backup. And I think Mike Condon’s received a few calls, as teams weren’t sure he’d be available.

12. On the blue line: the Rangers and Brendan Smith appear headed towards a deal. I never really sensed Calgary and Michael Stone were that close, so he’s likely headed to the market. There seems to be quite a bit of interest in Trevor Daley. It’s believed at least two Canadian teams  Ottawa and Winnipeg  are looking at Dmitry Kulikov as a left-handed option. He played for Guy Boucher in junior, and there’s no way last year is a true indication of his play. Karl Alzner will be an interesting one. One team indicated the price may be between $4-$5 million, and that gives him more options. And a few teams are curious to see if Buffalo makes the biggest pitch for Kevin Shattenkirk.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
Kulikov had a pretty terrible year didnt he?

b4mZVHv.png

Last 2-3 years, yep. But there could be something there for cheap. I'd still rather go for Wiercioch now that he's back on the market.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Kulikov had a pretty terrible year didnt he?

Apparently he got injured in the preseason and played through an injury the entire season. I'd take him as a reclamation project. I think he's significantly better than our other options right now. Should be fine as a bottom pairing D-man.

WerdnaG

Jun 27, 2017
b4mZVHv.png

Last 2-3 years, yep. But there could be something there for cheap. I'd still rather go for Wiercioch now that he's back on the market.

I'm not so worried about cheap. Id rather pay for a suitable player in that slot.

Its time.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
b4mZVHv.png

It's incredibly interesting how his war has changed over the years. He went through a stretch where he was incredibly undisciplined which dragged his overall numbers down. It appears that his defensive game has improved but his offense has tanked for some reason. It's possible there is some rebound there and we get an above 4 in WAR. He obviously wouldn't be my first choice but we can do far worse on our third pair.

WerdnaG

Jun 27, 2017
But why go for reclaimation projects at all? That should really be a last resort at this point. If we cant get anyone that actually belongs in that spot...then we can go picking through another team's garbage for a greasy diamond.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
He's averaged 21 mins/GP for about 5-6 seasons now. His CF/60 has tanked for the past few years while his CA/60 has skyrocketed. His Corsi relative % has also been on a downward trend. I see no reclamation project here, I simply see a bad player.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I'd rather overpay Smith 4x4 or something like that than have Kulikov on this team. Also the only thing that Kulikov offers over Wiercoch is he has averaged 4-5 mins more per game over the past few seasons.

WerdnaG

Jun 27, 2017
I'd rather overpay Smith 4x4 or something like that than have Kulikov on this team. Also the only thing that Kulikov offers over Wiercoch is he has averaged 4-5 mins more per game over the past few seasons.

I really hope that first bit is hyperbole. Brendan Smith isnt woth near that much.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm with a previous poster. Kulikov scares me, and I'd rather pay more for a sure thing than get a cheap player that has been trending downward but might make a comeback.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Custance says he's had a lot of interest anyways.. In this class he'd probably get his pick of where he wants to go.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I really hope that first bit is hyperbole. Brendan Smith isnt woth near that much.

Not even in the slightest! Smith has been *barely* playing outside a top 4 role (18-19 mins / gp) and has a very positive impact on his team while on the ice(Both detroit and NYR). You could very easily say he is a top 4 guy. Kulikov is the opposite, he's been playing about 3 more mins/gp but has a very negative effect when he steps on the ice (both Florida and Buffalo). Many teams would have a #5 or #6 better than him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad