News Article: Friedman 30 Thoughts (Jets)

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
The news about Hellebuyck working with a personal trainer cannot look too good on Flaherty. Should it not be his job to install confidence, and correct techniques on goalies?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
The news about Hellebuyck working with a personal trainer cannot look too good on Flaherty. Should it not be his job to install confidence, and correct techniques on goalies?

Can he work with a Jets' coach in the off-season?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Most goalies have their own personal coaches in the summer. I believe Comrie has a few as well. I don't see this any differently than Scheifele having Roberts as his personal trainer and Oats has his skill development coach or Morrissey having his own sports psychologist.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Can he work with a Jets' coach in the off-season?

Consultation happens but team organized on ice activities either mandatory or voluntary are prohibited by the CBA. It's a blurry line however since MTS Iceplex staff are used for the summer "captains practices" and workouts.

There is a specific CBA clause allowing for "development camps"

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Consultation happens but team organized on ice activities either mandatory or voluntary are prohibited by the CBA. It's a blurry line however since MTS Iceplex staff are used for the summer "captains practices" and workouts.

Didn't Kane come up and help with the rookie camp in July one year?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Didn't Kane come up and help with the rookie camp in July one year?

I think he was "around" but did he actually participate? I'm pretty sure he played too many games to be allowed.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
He instructed for a session or two if I remember correctly. I think he just volunteered or something.

I don't think that's prohibited. The coaches and other team employees are allowed.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I have so much faith in Helle, that if he fails to post a 0.915% or below next season, I will close my account, and never post here again.

That serves no purpose. I'm sure we all believe you that you have a very high level of faith in Hellebuyck.

What if .914 is sufficient to get the Jets to a WCF? Or even further? .914 regular season and .925 play-offs could go all the way. And you won't get to share it here.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

Scheifele works with Gary Roberts in the off season. Does that reflect negatively on the training staff the Jets employ? These players have resources to exploit to better themselves. If Helle is going to the same guy that literally saved Dubnyk's NHL career, then I'm all ****ing for it.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Scheifele works with Gary Roberts in the off season. Does that reflect negatively on the training staff the Jets employ? These players have resources to exploit to better themselves. If Helle is going to the same guy that literally saved Dubnyk's NHL career, then I'm all ****ing for it.

If I recall correctly, Dubnyk gives Lyle Mast a great deal of credit for his resurgence.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

With this line of thinking, every coach in the league doesn't "look to good".
Majority of the league has off season personal trainers.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Because it's news, and interesting to Jets fans? Is this a trick question? ;)

Yep. But pretty much only us hard core fans talk Jets everyday all off season long grabbing onto every little piece of information. To most casual fans this would bring a bit of a yawn. But it is very encouraging that Helly looks to be spending the summer taking the self improvement track.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
14. The goalie market is going to be something. Vegas is taking Fleury. There were teams who wanted him from Vegas, but he’s staying. So, does this mean the Knights take fewer netminders than initially predicted? Michal Neuvirth, whom the Golden Knights know well, make sense. As mentioned, I wouldn’t be surprised if they take Lack from Carolina, but I’m not sure if he stays or gets flipped (Winnipeg?). Teams looking for goalies — Vancouver, Winnipeg, Anaheim, Philadelphia, Arizona, Los Angeles, possibly Buffalo, etc. — are going to be on a crazy merry go-round with the likes of Jonathan Bernier, Brian Elliott, Chad Johnson, Steve Mason, Ryan Miller and even Mike Condon, if he does not re-sign in Ottawa. Those are just the free agents, never mind who you could trade for.

15. There are Los Angeles connections in Philadelphia, which is why rumours of the Flyers’ interest in Bernier keeps popping up. Vancouver apparently is offering Miller an incentive-laden contract, so we’ll see where that goes. Johnson could go back to Calgary to back up Smith. You get to battle for the top spot in Philadelphia, Winnipeg and Vancouver, but the only really wide-open job is in Arizona.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
14. The goalie market is going to be something. Vegas is taking Fleury. There were teams who wanted him from Vegas, but he’s staying. So, does this mean the Knights take fewer netminders than initially predicted? Michal Neuvirth, whom the Golden Knights know well, make sense. As mentioned, I wouldn’t be surprised if they take Lack from Carolina, but I’m not sure if he stays or gets flipped (Winnipeg?). Teams looking for goalies — Vancouver, Winnipeg, Anaheim, Philadelphia, Arizona, Los Angeles, possibly Buffalo, etc. — are going to be on a crazy merry go-round with the likes of Jonathan Bernier, Brian Elliott, Chad Johnson, Steve Mason, Ryan Miller and even Mike Condon, if he does not re-sign in Ottawa. Those are just the free agents, never mind who you could trade for.

15. There are Los Angeles connections in Philadelphia, which is why rumours of the Flyers’ interest in Bernier keeps popping up. Vancouver apparently is offering Miller an incentive-laden contract, so we’ll see where that goes. Johnson could go back to Calgary to back up Smith. You get to battle for the top spot in Philadelphia, Winnipeg and Vancouver, but the only really wide-open job is in Arizona.

I'd be pretty damn peeved with Lack. He's been worse than Hutch and Pavs the last two years. I'm assuming he's throwing it out due to Lack's history on the Moose.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
I'd be pretty damn peeved with Lack. He's been worse than Hutch and Pavs the last two years. I'm assuming he's throwing it out due to Lack's history on the Moose.

I don't like the idea either

Jets1975

Dec 9, 2011
Lack would be an absolute nightmare scenario. But being such a pessimist of Chevy, I'm already expecting the worst....

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Lack would be an absolute nightmare scenario. But being such a pessimist of Chevy, I'm already expecting the worst....

I guess that takes away the fun from a day like this? Other than losing Toby or Dano it turns out Expansion Drafts are a whole lot of fun.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Lack? Really.....I just threw up a little in my mouth. Chevy better not pick freaking Lack to trade for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad