News Article: Friedman 30 Thoughts (Jets)

Whileee

May 29, 2010
because you havent found the pvalue of the 95% confidence interval of brendan smith providing any statistical significance to the t score of him being a good defender...

we are just going to have to agree to disagree, ive seen his bad plays harm the team more often than him truly helping the team. Not saying he is complete trash as a player, but he is what he is, good tools (size, speed, shot) but decision making and overall hockey iq is very alarming.

95% confidence intervals don't have p values. They are different ways of measuring and expressing Type 1 statistical error. So is the T value. It's okay to critique statistical methods, but it's more effective if the critique is coherent.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Both Buffalo& Florida have been bad adv. stats teams,

Kulikov was better than his numbers showed in Florida, he was definitely a top4.
If Chevy can sign him to a 1-2 on the 3rd pairing with Myers he'd improve that by a mile from last year.

Agreed. If you can get Kulikov on a 2 year deal for a reasonable price this is much preferable to over paying on money and term for some of the other UFA's out there. Over the next 2 years while we will be able to shed some salary there will be a much greater demand on cap space with Little, Touba, Ehlers, Wheeler, Morrissey and Laine needing new contracts.

Lets get an upgrade on Chariot, push Stu further down and see if a once highly regarded d-man finds enough of his game to play a solid bottom pair role. More than anything else we need some good health on the back end.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
The issue I have is seeing faults is not a valuation system. It's an investigation on the root causes of the evaluation.

Every UFA has weaknesses and things you can point out why they are not perfect hockey players.

Stats is what shows you how those things wash out in order to create the overall picture.

Saying Smith does this and that in no way makes the numbers suggesting he is likely he best LHD FA on the market aside from Campbell any less relevant.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well if the stats show that hes good, there must be something to it.

How much would he cost I wonder? Could we have him for around 2.5-3 over 2 years?

I think he will get more like 3.75 x 4 or even 5 years.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Just watching the UFA feeding frenzie show on TSN and I am once again reminded that the five big mega signings last off season 3 of the teams missed the playoffs and most of the deals were a disaster.

Take a deep breath and let me take you back on a journey when all the "do something Chevy crowd were whipped into a frenzy".......drum roll please:

Andrew Ladd 31 $5.5 x 7 years 78 games played 31 points (NYI missed the playoffs)

Loui Eriksson 31 $6.0 x 6 years 65 games played 24 points (Nucks missed the playoffs)

Kyle Okposo 28 $6.0 x 7 years 65 games 45 points (not bad not great but Sabres missed the playoffs)

Milan Lucic 28 $6.0 x 7 years 82 games 50 points (Oil made the playoffs)

David Backes 32 $6.0 x 5 years (yea really) 74 games 38 points (Boston exited the playoffs first round)

Kyle Wellwood (11-12) 28 $700K x 1 year 77 games 47 points (that is correct he was second highest scorer on this list so in your face MF's lol)

So there you have it, I only wish there were more options this year for stupid GM's to do what they always do and overpay for aging fading veterans on Canada day.

Last edited:

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Regarding Smith, it's all kind of moot if the Rags want him as a top 4 D and are willing to pay him as such.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Just watching the UFA feeding frenzie show on TSN and I am once again reminded that the five big mega signings last off season 4 of the teams missed the playoffs and most of the deals were a disaster.

Take a deep breath and let me take you back on a journey when all the "do something Chevy crowd was whipped into a frenzy".......drum roll please:

Andrew Ladd 31 $5.5 x 7 years 78 games played 31 points (NYI missed the playoffs)

Loui Eriksson 31 $6.0 x 6 years 65 games played 24 points (Nucks missed the playoffs)

Kyle Okposo 28 $6.0 x 7 years 65 games 45 points (not bad not great but Sabres missed the playoffs)

David Backes 32 $6.0 x 5 years (yea really) 74 games 38 points (Boston exited the playoffs first round)

So there you have it, I only wish there were more options this year for stupid GM's to do what they always do and overpay for aging fading veterans on Canada day.

I just want a 1B goalie, then duck for cover and run away. Unless you get a castoff like MP cheap, not much good happens on free agency day. I mostly like to tune in to see how much other teams screw their future with bad contracts.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I just want a 1B goalie, then duck for cover and run away. Unless you get a castoff like MP cheap, not much good happens on free agency day. I mostly like to tune in to see how much other teams screw their future with bad contracts.

I agree 1b goalie for sure on Canada day. If there are other value plays like MP or Wellwood then giddy up but otherwise duck and cover.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Damn. Really?

He's a well regarded UFA Dman. They generally get at least that term. He's not perceived as quite up to Sekera level but not all that far short. Sekera got 6x 5.5 mil a couple of years ago. Maybe Smith gets 5x4.5. I think that is probably the top of the range though - but that is just my **** ***ed guess. It depends how desperate some GM gets.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Just watching the UFA feeding frenzie show on TSN and I am once again reminded that the five big mega signings last off season 3 of the teams missed the playoffs and most of the deals were a disaster.

Take a deep breath and let me take you back on a journey when all the "do something Chevy crowd was whipped into a frenzy".......drum roll please:

Kyle Wellwood (11-12) 28 $700K x 1 year 77 games 47 points (that is correct he was second highest scorer on this list so in your face MF's lol)

Big deal UFAs are always a bad deal, fundamentally they are a case of a player seeking more than they are worth. Teams would do better to just steer clear alltogether, at least on deals over 5M annually

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
This year's free agents to get paid too much for too long are going to be Alzner and Hanzal.

Not sure what kind of crazy term and salary Radulov will be looking for, but he is at least a better player than Alzner and Hanzal. Still high potential for some GM to grossly overpay.

WerdnaG

Jun 27, 2017
He's a well regarded UFA Dman. They generally get at least that term. He's not perceived as quite up to Sekera level but not all that far short. Sekera got 6x 5.5 mil a couple of years ago. Maybe Smith gets 5x4.5. I think that is probably the top of the range though - but that is just my **** ***ed guess. It depends how desperate some GM gets.

I wasnt aware that he was particularily well regarded.

We've had a weak left side for a long time, so maybe signing him to a bit of term isnt the worst thing.

MoreMorrissey

Apr 27, 2017
Winningpeg
This year's free agents to get paid too much for too long are going to be Alzner and Hanzal.

Not sure what kind of crazy term and salary Radulov will be looking for, but he is at least a better player than Alzner and Hanzal. Still high potential for some GM to grossly overpay.

I'd add Shattenkirk to that list, gonna be crazy overvalued.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

Don't want any part of either of them. If Chevy is linked to Kulikov, I'd expect him to be signed for no more than 3 years as a depth LHD option.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I think Kulikov could fit in well here. We need one more D that can dish the puck to our speedsters. He'll underwhelm in some ways but so will the options we already have.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I think Kulikov could fit in well here. We need one more D that can dish the puck to our speedsters. He'll underwhelm in some ways but so will the options we already have.

I agree! He'll bring us Chiarot and Stuart level of play!

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
For the right price and most importantly, term, I'd be quite interested in Kulikov. He isn't a world beater, but it would push Chiarot to the 7 spot, and Stuart to captain of the Moose. That's about as best as can be expected given how much money we already have committed to the blueline.

Kulikov and Elliott would be very good cash pickups that fill the two noticeable holes on the Jets' roster.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
As much as my recent posts may have been defending Kulikov, I would like to make it known that my priority list for bringing a LHD goes as such:

Campbell (1yr only) > Brendan Smith (for ~$3.25m for 3yrs) > Wiercioch (for ~$1m for 1 or 2yrs) > Kindl (for ~$1.25m for 2yrs) > Kulikov (for ~$1.5 for 1yr) >= the rest.

How did Kindl fall off a cliff again? Was he just never liked by any managment?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Kindl had a rouggggghh year last year, more so than Kulikov.

To me the UFA if prefer had a lot to do with not just player quality but also term and price.

It's why Alzner is a fine 3rd pair and I want no part of him. He probably brings negative value per dollar relative to average, because he is no better than the guys we're talking about but will likely cost more, especially in term.

3 years would be a max and I'd be looking at between 1M-3M.
If any guy costs more than that, no way. That's not right for the role they will have on the Jets.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
Kindl had a rouggggghh year last year, more so than Kulikov.

To me the UFA if prefer had a lot to do with not just player quality but also term and price.

It's why Alzner is a fine 3rd pair and I want no part of him. He probably brings negative value per dollar relative to average, because he is no better than the guys we're talking about but will likely cost more, especially in term.

3 years would be a max and I'd be looking at between 1M-3M.
If any guy costs more than that, no way. That's not right for the role they will have on the Jets.

Really? That's disappointing, considering he seemed to have generally good underlying numbers in the past.

I think that has been what's going unsaid here. Assuming everyone here is a Jets fan (duh) and is familiar with the contract situation of the team (double duh), everyone knows that in only one year we are dealing with Little and Enstrom possibly going UFA, with the likes of Trouba, Morrissey, Ehlers, and Lowry (and maybe Armia (and then maybe Petan and Dano)) being RFA. After that, Wheeler and Myers are UFA, and Laine hits RFA too. One or two (or three) bad contracts here or there can cost us one of those really good players, and we certainly don't need more of Thorburn, Stuart, or Pavelec types.

Jets fans should have slight relief of this though, as Chevy historically doesn't give long contracts to those coming from UFA. Jets fans should be somewhat disappointed though, as other than solid acquisitions like Perreault, other names like Brian Strait, Matt Fraser, Andrew MacWilliam, T.J. Galiardi, Matt Halischuk, Alexei Ponikarovsky, and Olli Jokinen stick out. Though they've all been 1 or 2 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad