News Article: Friedman 30 Thoughts (Jets)

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
13. A young player who did perform well without the puck was Winnipeg’s Nikolaj Ehlers.

A month ago, Ehlers sleepwalked though the start of the Penticton Rookie Tournament, but when the big camp came, he was very good. Nicolas Petan is another who showed well defensively, but, as one executive said, “It wasn’t a surprise he could do it, he just didn’t have to worry about it too much in junior.â€

14. The Jets made it very clear when Alex Burmistrov returned that they weren’t getting him back simply to trade him. But you look where he was two years ago, see how the likes of Ehlers, Petan, Andrew Copp and Adam Lowry have fit in and wonder, where does Burmistrov make an impact?

Things can change, but he seemed to get lost amid an impressive group of young players.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-oilers-smartly-downgrade-captaincy/

ellismate

Jun 9, 2015
SK
I agree with him. Time will tell with burmi, but it looks like that's the case to start the season

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Burmistrov will be an elite shutdown guy with lowry. I can't wait to see those two against top lines.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
Burmi still wants to be Pavel D though, and he won't give that up. Proof in what we already saw. He tries to make the plays and passes and they still don't happen the way he wants.

I think the Jets will accept what level player they have before he does; still can be very useful if used proper.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Interesting comparison.

Burmi is enterring his Age24 season, in PD's Age24 season (his second in the NHL), he put up 51pts in 64 gms (in a moderately higher scoring league).

Age 23:

Pavel: 35pts in 70gms (Detroit rookie)
Burmi: 26pts in 53gms (Kazan)

Age 22:

Pavel: 27pts in 42gms (Kazan)
Burmi: 37pts in 54gms (Kazan)

Age 19-21:

Pavel: misc Rus Junior teams
Burmi: 58pts in 194 NHL gms

Age 22 season is very comparable. Time to fish or cut bait for Alex.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
IMO, we now have a better version of Burmistrov in Lowry. That said, Lowry and Burmi together are excellent defensively.

If only we still had Frolik, they'd be arguably the best shut down line in the NHL.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Lowry played mostly sheltered minutes against easy competition, and took most of his draws in the offensive zone last year. He may turn into a great shutdown player but he hasn't shown that he is yet.

Stafford has a good stick but is not a good defensive player. The only guy on the Burmi-Lowry-Safford line that can make a legitimate claim to being a great defensive player capable of facing tough opponents is Burmistrov.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Yes...no room for Burmistrov....best trade him to make room for Peluso.

Friedman is way off the mark here. Sometimes makes me wonder if he's becoming one of those national media types who loses track of what's going on outside the Habs and Leafs.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Lowry played mostly sheltered minutes against easy competition, and took most of his draws in the offensive zone last year. He may turn into a great shutdown player but he hasn't shown that he is yet.

Stafford has a good stick but is not a good defensive player. The only guy on the Burmi-Lowry-Safford line that can make a legitimate claim to being a great defensive player capable of facing tough opponents is Burmistrov.

Actually Lowry's and Burmi's possession numbers and quality of competition are remarkably similar between Burmi in 2012-13 and Lowry 2014-2015. Burmi a slight edge in possession, and Lowry slight edge in quality of competition but both measures very tight.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

Friedman is way off the mark here. Sometimes makes me wonder if he's becoming one of those national media types who loses track of what's going on outside the Habs and Leafs.

Yeah, that's what he's saying. How is he wrong? Is it that much of a stretch to think Petan could play on the third line and Burmi on the fourth based on pre-season? It won't start that way, but it's not off the mark. I think that's what Friedman is saying when he asks where Burmi fits in.

He's not making a judgment, just a pretty good observation imo.

Last edited:

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno

to be honest, i'm just shocked that he had not one, but 2 "thoughts" on the Jets.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Yeah, that's what he's saying. How is he wrong? Is it that much of a stretch to think Petan could play on the third line and Burmi on the fourth based on pre-season? It won't start that way, but it's not off the mark. I think that's what Friedman is saying when he asks where Burmi fits in.

We have a 19 year old in our top 6 and our first call-ups are Lipon and a guy who's 29 with few pro games outside of the Austrian League. There's plenty of room for Burmistrov. If anything we need more players like him.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
We have a 19 year old in our top 6 and our first call-ups are Lipon and a guy who's 29 with few pro games outside of the Austrian League. There's plenty of room for Burmistrov. If anything we need more players like him.

He said "where does Burmistrov make an impact"?, not that there isn't room for him.

I really don't think anyone is saying there isn't space for Burmi.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014

There was a progression in his play last season that had him end the season playing hard minutes against top lines; capped off by an effective playoffs. He is not a great shutdown yet, but he has shown the ability to shutdown good lines.

Disagree with the Burmi being able to claim being a great defensive player and that Lowry won't be the best player on that line defensively. By year's end Lowry will be our best defensive forward on the team.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

Agreed. If Petan is creating more scoring chances than Burmi after a dozen games, you have to think they'll move Nic up and Burmi to 4th line.

leafster7

Leafs and Jets fan
May 12, 2010
Toronto
The roster for the Jets look good for the immediate and long-term.

Petan and Ehlers cracking the lineup this year will be a good thing for the team. They already have solid young players like Scheifele and Trouba. They also got a steal with Kyle Connor.

Nothing to be pessimistic about so far.

leafster7

Leafs and Jets fan
May 12, 2010
Toronto
Regarding Burmistrov, I don't think he will be an impact player in the long-term as many expected at his draft year. I'm guessing that Petan, Ehlers, and Connor will outplay him in terms of scoring and effectiveness. Burmi has too much of that "Russianized finesse" that won't fit too well in the NHL.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Not if we're winning

Well if they're winning it kind of answers the question of where Burmi is fitting in.

Nothing stays static all season though. If Petan is creating and Maurice finds himself looking for more offense, then he's likely to move up.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

The Adam Lowry that played against the Ducks in the playoffs was better than the Lowry at the beginning of the season. I think with Alex they will be able to eat pretty tough match ups this season but time will tell.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I think if burmi was "happy" with his role as a defensive forward there would be no need for these discussions, as IMO he excels in that role

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
How does Burmi fit in the Jets line up?

Very well at 1.5 mill per year over the next 2 years. The Frugal Jets management will fit Burmi in the line up for the next 2 years and take advantage of that team friendly cap hit.

Hopefully Burmistov NA / NHL game advances to a point where he is a better trade option when he is RFa in 2 years.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
He said "where does Burmistrov make an impact"?, not that there isn't room for him.

I really don't think anyone is saying there isn't space for Burmi.

The first sentence says the Jets insist they didn't bring him back to trade him but...

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
The first sentence says the Jets insist they didn't bring him back to trade him but...

You're saying you wouldn't trade Burmi if the right deal came along? He's not in the category of player you don't listen to offers on, only a few are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->