News Article: Friedman 30 Thoughts (Jets)

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I had to look it up. He went from the broadcast booth right to being Pittsburgh's head coach in 2003. He was fired in December 2005, with a little over one season under his belt (lockout took out one year).

I like the Jets 1.0 connection, and like Eddie as a broadcaster the few times I've heard him, but he has very little experiencing coaching. It's a profession like any other. You don't start as a head coach, or even an NHL assistant coach. You work your way up to it. If Olczyk wanted to take a spot with the Moose coaching staff I wouldn't be opposed.

Gretzky was arguably a worse coach.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
He was dealt a tough hand. Coached the 2003-04 tank job Penguins, then the lockout, then fired two months into the 2005-06 season.

If he was brought aboard for a tank season, maybe Pitt was looking for a terrible coach. In any case, can he really be considered an apporpriate candidate to join the Jets staff? What does that say about Maurice's ability to evaluate coaches? What is says to me is that Maurice should be fired.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
If he was brought aboard for a tank season, maybe Pitt was looking for a terrible coach. In any case, can he really be considered an apporpriate candidate to join the Jets staff? What does that say about Maurice's ability to evaluate coaches? What is says to me is that Maurice should be fired.

Possibly, though it's just as likely that only a rookie like Olczyk would willingly coach that tire fire Penguins teams.

He may be an appropriate candidate as an assistant or as Moose HC. My bigger concern would be if he's viewed as an appropriate head coaching candidate when Maurice gets booted to the curb.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Helle news here

17. Winnipeg’s Connor Hellebuyck is making some off-season changes. He will spend time this summer with Adam Francilia, who has a lot of experience working with goalies. Francilia could be loosely defined as a personal trainer, but prefers “sports performance coach†because he also deals with nutrition and mental health. His first NHL client was Andrew Ladd, when Ladd was 14. That was 17 years ago, and they’ve worked together since. In the past few years, his group included Laurent Brossoit, Devan Dubnyk, Troy Grosenick, Eddie Lack, James Reimer and Justin Schultz.

Every August, Francilia and agent Ray Petkau put together a special goaltending clinic in Kelowna, titled NET360. (Dubnyk is not a Petkau client. Hellebuyck, Lack and Reimer are.) Hellebuyck usually stays in Michigan during the summer, but will spend time in Western Canada, including attendance at that clinic.

18. Francilia is proud of his work with Grosenick, who went from dangerously close to being out of San Jose to the AHL’s top goaltender in 2016-17. He sees some similarity between the two. What will he work on? Among other things, core training specific to goalies.

“Posture and setup. There are postural considerations for a goalie, such as counter-rotating away from saves. Let me give you an example. With Devan Dubnyk, when he was leaning on the right post and needed to make a right-to-left push, his lanky, long body was working against him. He was unable to understand how to use his core. You go to push left, but half your body is going the wrong way.â€

It sounds confusing, but do this: Put your right side up against a wall in your house. Then push off. How many of you are leaning into the wall before doing it? That slows your move left.

“Goaltending is an unnatural position,†Francilia continued. “We are not created to be goaltenders, which is why so many have hip issues. We have to completely re-program their brains not to counter-rotate. Teach the brain to think differently, teach (Hellebuyck) to recruit his left oblique muscle to stabilize and offset the counter-rotation. That helps his upper body stay with the puck. That split-second difference is everything.â€

I’m a Hellebuyck fan, so I’m curious about this, an attempt to enhance in the off-season the work the Jets do with him during the year. He had a tough year, but giving up on him is ridiculous.

MoreMorrissey

Apr 27, 2017
Winningpeg
Helle news here

17. Winnipeg’s Connor Hellebuyck is making some off-season changes. He will spend time this summer with Adam Francilia, who has a lot of experience working with goalies. Francilia could be loosely defined as a personal trainer, but prefers “sports performance coach†because he also deals with nutrition and mental health. His first NHL client was Andrew Ladd, when Ladd was 14. That was 17 years ago, and they’ve worked together since. In the past few years, his group included Laurent Brossoit, Devan Dubnyk, Troy Grosenick, Eddie Lack, James Reimer and Justin Schultz.

Every August, Francilia and agent Ray Petkau put together a special goaltending clinic in Kelowna, titled NET360. (Dubnyk is not a Petkau client. Hellebuyck, Lack and Reimer are.) Hellebuyck usually stays in Michigan during the summer, but will spend time in Western Canada, including attendance at that clinic.

18. Francilia is proud of his work with Grosenick, who went from dangerously close to being out of San Jose to the AHL’s top goaltender in 2016-17. He sees some similarity between the two. What will he work on? Among other things, core training specific to goalies.

“Posture and setup. There are postural considerations for a goalie, such as counter-rotating away from saves. Let me give you an example. With Devan Dubnyk, when he was leaning on the right post and needed to make a right-to-left push, his lanky, long body was working against him. He was unable to understand how to use his core. You go to push left, but half your body is going the wrong way.â€

It sounds confusing, but do this: Put your right side up against a wall in your house. Then push off. How many of you are leaning into the wall before doing it? That slows your move left.

“Goaltending is an unnatural position,†Francilia continued. “We are not created to be goaltenders, which is why so many have hip issues. We have to completely re-program their brains not to counter-rotate. Teach the brain to think differently, teach (Hellebuyck) to recruit his left oblique muscle to stabilize and offset the counter-rotation. That helps his upper body stay with the puck. That split-second difference is everything.â€

I’m a Hellebuyck fan, so I’m curious about this, an attempt to enhance in the off-season the work the Jets do with him during the year. He had a tough year, but giving up on him is ridiculous.

Agreed. This looks to be very optimistic, many of the players he's worked with have seen drastic improvements (obviously not necessarily a correlation) but Schultz, Dubnyk and this Grosenick guy all seem to be on the upswing and this new routine/change could really help him. I really like the mental aspect to the training too, goalies being confident is quite clearly visible on the ice (Fleury this playoffs).

D1G

Apr 13, 2017
Winnipeg Manitoba
Helle news here

I'm pretty pumped about this. The fact that he knows his lateral speed is horrendous. And will be working on it. Now if we can just get the rest of his speed up he might be able to get in front of more pucks. That's his style get your body in front. Good stuff

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Helle news here

Thanks for posting this Aavco. Very interesting and encouraging.

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
Helle news here

Cool stuff:handclap:.

Just one question, I would think this is the kinda stuff the goal tending coaches (Wade are you out there?) should be working on or am i out to lunch on what coaches should do?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

Just one question, I would think this is the kinda stuff the goal tending coaches (Wade are you out there?) should be working on or am i out to lunch on what coaches should do?

I would think any style/technique adjustments for goaltenders are usually accomplished in the offseason. However there was the period when Pavelec was recalled where it's possible even probable that Helle was doing some "adjustment" inseason.

I also think the Jets are not in the dark about Helle's plans. Perhaps they even suggested it.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
Helle news here

#18 is really interesting and encouraging. I remember Steve Valiquette (one of the best goalie analysts out there) was commenting on Hellebuyck's lateral movement, how he had too much noise in his upper body when moving cross crease.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I would think any style/technique adjustments for goaltenders are usually accomplished in the offseason. However there was the period when Pavelec was recalled where it's possible even probable that Helle was doing some "adjustment" inseason.

I also think the Jets are not in the dark about Helle's plans. Perhaps they even suggested it.

I heard Woodley, Valiquette, and Jamie McLennan all commenting that it is really hard to change technique during the season. One of them likened it to changing your golf swing mid tournament. Glad Helly isn't following the old Pavs summer fun routine when he first moved to Winnipeg.

Last edited:

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

I think I heard somewhere that players can't work out with team coaches in the offseason. It's prohibited by the cba

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I heard Woodley, Valiquette, and Jamie McLennan all commenting that it is really hard to change technique during the season. One of them likened it to changing your golf swing mid tournament. Glad Helly isn't following the old Pavs summer fun routine when he first moved to Winnipeg.

I wouldn't go quite that far, but they're definitely right. It takes time, and with the lack of practice time during a season, it just isn't feasible.

That doesn't mean that I didn't swear about the fact that Hellebuyck didn't change his technique during the season when I saw obvious flaws in it!:rant::laugh:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I wouldn't go quite that far, but they're definitely right. It takes time, and with the lack of practice time during a season, it just isn't feasible.

That doesn't mean that I didn't swear about the fact that Hellebuyck didn't change his technique during the season when I saw obvious flaws in it!:rant::laugh:

Yea I think the point was you need lots of repetitions with the new technique and its hard to change one small thing without it impacting other parts of your technique. I know when they shut down Helly and brought up Pavs there were some rumours they were using that time to rework some technical issues. I guess we will see this season I don't think he is that far off but who the hell knows he may suck this season for all I know?

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014

When Woodley was a guest on Hustler and Lawless, Lawless reported that they did change Hellebuyck's glove placement during the season (possibly, as Aavco and PS hypothesized, when Pavelec was up) and Woodley mentioned that he noticed an in-season change in Hellebuyck's post-play, as well.

Yea I think the point was you need lots of repetitions with the new technique and its hard to change one small thing without it impacting other parts of your technique. I know when they shut down Helly and brought up Pavs there were some rumours they were using that time to rework some technical issues. I guess we will see this season I don't think he is that far off but who the hell knows he may suck this season for all I know?

Changes are like medicine. They can help in the long term, but do some real damage in the short.

I think that's why they like to do them in the summer.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Nothing worse then goalie coach trying to change your technique mid season. They're there to give you confidence not kill it. This is the time to make changes.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Nothing worse then goalie coach trying to change your technique mid season. They're there to give you confidence not kill it. This is the time to make changes.

Thanks for the input on this Puck. How to you see the chances of Helly taking a step forward with this technique change?

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Thanks for the input on this Puck. How to you see the chances of Helly taking a step forward with this technique change?

I think he'll make huge strides. Core strength is so critical for balance, movement and recovery. What I like most about dubnyks improvement was the changes with his head (being quiet) and being able to follow the puck while moving, it helped him stay square to the puck. I see helly being able to take similar strides.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think he'll make huge strides. Core strength is so critical for balance, movement and recovery. What I like most about dubnyks improvement was the changes with his head (being quiet) and being able to follow the puck while moving, it helped him stay square to the puck. I see helly being able to take similar strides.

Sounds very encouraging. Feel a bit more comfortable with a 1A 1B type situation for a year or 2 and let Helly develop with someone who can carry the load when needed. Thanks.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Sounds very encouraging. Feel a bit more comfortable with a 1A 1B type situation for a year or 2 and let Helly develop with someone who can carry the load when needed. Thanks.

I said that last year. And tbh I never thought hutch would be that bad first half and I don't think jets did either. A good vet on a two year deal to tandem helly and I think that good goal tending all of a sudden makes Pmo look good, and I like Pmo, but old addage remains same, coach is only as good As his goalie(s)

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
changing glove technique would probably be a hell of a lot easier to work on than lateral movement.
lateral movement likely results in some strengthening exercises and lots of repetitive drills that would likely leave you feeling a bit sore and more prone to injury

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
changing glove technique would probably be a hell of a lot easier to work on than lateral movement.
lateral movement likely results in some strengthening exercises and lots of repetitive drills that would likely leave you feeling a bit sore and more prone to injury

Doesn't that apply to any new movement drill you start doing repeatedly?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad