Tennis: French Open 2022

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I'm gonna pick Cilic over Ruud.
Bet you a virtual bottle of '67 Chateau Palmer that Ruud takes it.

The amazing thing is that match was already in its fourth hour when the accident happened. That thing was on schedule to go approximately 7 1/2 hours at that rate. Of course, it very likely wouldn't have been that bad, but either player would have almost certainly been wasted for the finals.

Reactions: Tuggy

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Seeing a grown man who is 6 ft 6 and a pro athlete cry in pain like that made me sick to my stomach, it shows you that even they are human and these types of injuries are f****** painful. Heartbreaking to watch, it was such a great match and it had to end like that. I really hope Sascha recovers fast and better

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
That's awful. As a Nadal fan with his injuries over the years, that's my worst nightmare. I want him to win, but not like this at all.
As a Rafa fan as well, I don't think I can ever watch this match and look at it the same way. If he had won outright it would have been one for the rocking chair given the quality and drama, but now even watching those incredible highlights from this match feels like you're watching a movie where you know the ending and how horrific it is.

Reactions: sfvega

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Set apiece between Ruud and Cilic and it's a very even, very well played match by both players to this point.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
I have absolutely no love for Nadal's type of play
He is the opposite of what I like about tennis.
All the youngsters he inspired have the same stereotypical backcourt defense game - boring
If you think Nadal is just a backcourt defensive player than you clearly haven't watched him much over the past 10 years. He's evolved his game a lot from a stronger first serve, better net play, flatter BH, etc. plus he's always liked being in control of the point rather than having to be the one scrambling. You only see him scrambling a lot because he's very good on defense and his opponents' only chance at beating him is going for all their shots and putting him in defensive positions.

Set apiece between Ruud and Cilic and it's a very even, very well played match by both players to this point.
I want to see Cilic in the final because I want one more GS finals matchup between the golden generation of players but I feel like Ruud is too consistent off the ground and he'll force the Croat into more errors

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I have absolutely no love for Nadal's type of play
He is the opposite of what I like about tennis.
All the youngsters he inspired have the same stereotypical backcourt defense game - boring
I do agree it's boring but at least it isn't passive. I miss variety

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Tide definitely turning in Ruud's favour as his forehand begins to dominate and Cilic continues to make errors on very easy shots (five butchered overheads so far and counting), 2-love.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
In protest (maybe), a young woman attaches herself to the net and sits down. Time out as off camera she is removed from the court.

Turned up the sound, but not much info. Apparently she had some projectile, but now tournament officials are just milling around allowing security to do its job. It seems that coaches can talk to their players during such match suspensions, so that's a little wrinkle. Play should start again soon. Odd thing to happen for sure.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
What a dummy nobody cares about your cause

In protest (maybe), a young woman attaches herself to the net and sits down. Time out as off camera, she is removed from the court.
The American description was hilarious they just showed the players leaving and the commentator said the security took some time taking her off lol

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto

Just going on her tee-shirt, she may be protesting an immigration decision as her tee-shirt says (I think) she has only X number of days left before something. Just a wild guess.

Nope, turns out she is an environmentalist. Sure is cute.....sorry, sorry,

Last edited:

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto

You know I love nature, wildlife, the environment, etc. as much as anyone and I absolutely believe we need to do better at preserving it but I've also yet to meet one of these "environmentalists" who were not complete lunatics who are out of their minds (from what I heard she deems herself as one of the "environmental activists")

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Ruud holds for 6-2 and a 2-1 set lead. Cilic is going to have to find another gear fast and I doubt it's there.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Cilic going down fast in the fourth set, Ruud up 4-1 and two service breaks.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Cilic going down fast in the fourth set, Ruud up 4-1 and two service breaks.
This match turned out as I expected. Cilic will zone for a set but Ruud's consistency will eventually cause Cilic to start spraying errors and that's exactly what happened. Don't want to count chickens before they hatch but I think Ruud is an easier matchup for Rafa than Cilic given the Croat's peak abilities, weapons, and pedigree

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Ruud will have his chances in the final. He's not facing peak Nadal, but he'll need to take all his opportunities. Can't squander them like Zverev today.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
This match turned out as I expected. Cilic will zone for a set but Ruud's consistency will eventually cause Cilic to start spraying errors and that's exactly what happened. Don't want to count chickens before they hatch but I think Ruud is an easier matchup for Rafa than Cilic given the Croat's peak abilities, weapons, and pedigree
After a slow start this year (4-4) on the surface, Ruud has had great success recently on clay. He's won two titles already and four last year on clay, albeit at the 250 and 500 ATP level. As he demonstrated against Cilic, he makes few mistakes and gives away few free points. I think he is a much tougher matchup for Nadal than Cilic would have been, Marin being a known-quality that Rafa has hammered on hard courts frequently, let alone clay. I think Rafa will win against Ruud, but I think Nadal will have to work very hard to earn it--I don't think it's a gimme in other words.

Reactions: Maestro84 and Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Swiatek over Gauff: Iga has allowed a grand total of only 16 break point opportunities on her serve in total so far this entire tournament. Then there are the groundstrokes, the court movement and the experience. Just too many big obstacles for Coco to overcome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad