Tennis: French Open 2022

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Best case scenario it's a heavy ankle sprain that will likely keep him out for a couple to few weeks. Fingers crossed that there is no structural damage as that's likely gonna require surgery
Looked to me like an ankle sprain, grade 2 hopefully and it's a few weeks only

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Have a hard time seeing Iga lose. However if Coco can play like she did in the semi's and Iga starts to doubt herself... You never know.

Welp.. 6-1, looking like a pretty standard Iga match.

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Iga 6-1. You can certainly see Gauff's potential, but still she was badly outplayed in the opening set.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Coco got the early break to go up 2-0 but then Iga went to another level. I kinda wish Ash was still around just so she'd have some competition :laugh:

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Even the leaping fist pump... Rafa 2.0 :laugh:

It'd be something if she went on to become the all time women's leader in RG grandslams, already has 2... Big ask though lol

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Talk about turning it up to 11. This will be a great rivalry eventually. But Swiatek is head and shoulders above all her competitioin at the moment which she clearly demonstrated today.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
What a match by Iga. Coco looked like a club player at times with that forehand. Would have loved it if Leylah had made it through, she has less power but a more complete game.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Rafa over Ruud: It all boils down to fitness. If Rafa is fit, or close to it, he wins in straight sets. Nadal's struggles in the second set against Zverev leave that question well open to doubt. If Nadal is much less than, say, 90%, he will face a challenge in Ruud who has won seven clay court tourments, though none of them above the 500 level. Rafa's w/ue ratio is +38 so far this year at Roland Garros, very good but not great for him. Ruud's ratio is a massive +121, best in the tournament by far, indicating a player who hits a lot of winners but makes few mistakes (he averages well under one unforced error per game (.60), which is superb). Surprisingly, Ruud even has a slightly higher ELO rating than Rafa on clay.

Also weather could play a factor if the roof is closed and humidity slows conditions to a crawl as it did against Zverev. More grinding is not what Rafa needs. The longer the match goes, the better the odds on the challenger.

But can Ruud beat his childhood idol and current mentor (for the last four years Caspar has trained at Rafa's tennis academy in Mallorca) on Court Philippe-Chatrier in his very first GS final? Seems like a prohibitively daunting task psychologically.

Previously, Ruud has gone this deep only once in a 1000 level event (Miami).

30% chance Rafa in straight sets; 50% chance Rafa in four sets; 20% chance Ruud pulls the upset.

Last edited:

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Damn, that's rough. He seemed to really be gaining momentum too. Definitely not a fan of Sasha but you never wish something like that on someone.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Ala the second set with Zverev, Rafa squanders a break to put the set back on serve 2-1.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The Zverev pattern continues as Rafa gets another break 3-1. Ruud's backhand is going to get a real workout in this one. Exploiting it is the key to the match for Rafa. Plus, Ruud looks nervous on this big a stage so far.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Perfect start, easy set for Rafa. There was a tactical deficit, an execution deficit and most of all a stature deficit that set.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Rafa has never been forced to a fifth set in any of his French Open finals. For Ruud, the mountain is taller than Everest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad