Tennis: French Open 2022

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I think we should all remember our first reactions to Rafa's draw when we first saw it. Mine was, "that's impossible." Yet here he is. As clear a GOAT in tennis as could be at the moment.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I remember watching Borg capture his sixth french open title against Lendl in 81 and thinking it was going to be pretty tough for anyone to beat that, if you had told me then someone was going to double that total and throw in a couple more just for shits and giggles I would have looked at you like you were nuts.

And he might not be done, I could see him winning at least one more, pretty damn impressive,

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
This was more of a coronation than a competition, as The French usually is on the mens side.

Regardless, you have to admire the greatness of Rafa. I bet he could still win Frenches until he's 45 if the body ever held up but he'll be long retired by then either way.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
What a clinic from both Rafa and Iga. They completely outclassed two otherwise really good in-form opponents. Iga is the queen of clay at the moment and don't look now but Rafa at 36 is halfway to a CYGS!

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Ruud could not be more gracious in defeat.

And as a Rafa fan, what more could you ask for? Djoker could end up with 30 slams, and it wouldn't matter to me. It's been a magical run rooting for Nadal. He's left it all on the court, he's held himself well, and he's won more than I could have ever imagined.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
Pure class from Ruud. He could’ve been very straightforward and leave early since he got outclassed, but he recognized Nadal’s performance and took time to thank everyone. I’ve gained a lot of respect for him after his speech.

Hopefully he gets some more chances in slams finals in the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Things were looking up for Ruud when he broke for 3-1 in the second set. Who would have figured Rafa to take the next 11 games?

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
To me this French Open will be forever summed up by the set point Nadal saved agains Zverev at 6-4 in the opening set tie breaker. An absolutely impossible get after being pulled way, way off the court followed by an equally impossible passing shot after being stretched wide in the opposite direction. One of the greatest points I've ever seen, and one that sums up Rafa perfectly.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I remember people saying the GOAT race was over, that Novak had it in the bag. Well Nadal is certainly ahead now, and I don't see why he doesn't have a couple more in him. Djokovic has his work cut out for him now.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
There were some pretty strong suggestions from Rafa's camp that he would skip Wimbledon this year. Now I wonder how he can resist.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4