Tennis: French Open 2022

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Nadal still planning to play despite his foot. Djokovic enters as the favorite I would think. He barely broke a sweat in Rome.

We'll see what Alcaraz has in store...

Swiatek is the overwhelming favorite on the Women's side until proven otherwise. 5 straight titles and 28 match winning streak.

Reactions: kihei

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
I've got Djokovic turning it up for the next 4 majors winning one of French/Wimbledon, getting his US open which he tends to every 3 or 4 years, and then capping it off with the FU Australian.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Marino is the only Canadian in qualifying. She won her first round match this morning.

She just missed out on direct entry.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Djokovic and Swiatek, and I still don't think Alcaraz will get past the quarters. Though I wouldn't bet my house on it....

Reactions: Tuggy

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Djokovic and Swiatek, and I still don't think Alcaraz will get past the quarters. Though I wouldn't bet my house on it....
The thing with Alcaraz why I think he’ll win slams quicker than people think is that he’s shown a pretty good propensity at a young age to be able to win long matches and come from behind. He’s more fit than someone like Zverev, who seemed to wilt a lot in important long matches when he had similar hype at a young age. I don’t see any problems with him being able to win three sets as opposed to two.

May not be his tournament, but I think he will pick one of these slams off pretty soon.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
I've got a number of futures on the betting market on both Swiatek and Alcaraz. Been following tennis for almost 30 years and this truly feels like a changing of the guard on both sides, so I'm fairly confident that

1) At least one of them will win the French Open this year, and
2) At least one of them will win one of the US Open this year or the Australian Open next year

Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I've got a number of futures on the betting market on both Swiatek and Alcaraz. Been following tennis for almost 30 years and this truly feels like a changing of the guard on both sides, so I'm fairly confident that

2) At least one of them will win one of the US Open this year or the Australian Open next year
Especially given Swiatek's dominance, wouldn't the bolder prediction be that neither will be crowned champion in the designated Slams? I can't imagine Iga not winning one of those at least.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Rafa has the draw from hell, so much so you would think somebody deliberately stacked it. Final five rounds:

Fognini
FAA
Djokovic
Alcaraz/zverev
Tsitsipas (who is a happy man tonight)

Most interesting first round match: Shapo versus Rune.

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Marino cruised through qualifying. Didn't drop a set and only lost 12 games in 3 matches. We'll see where she lands in the draw, but good for her.

Her first French Open main draw appearance since she made the 3rd round in 2011.

Felix will open with a qualifier.

Shapovalov gets Rune...given his form, I don't like Shapovalov's chances. Might be worth it to throw some money down on Rune. Should have good odds.

Andresscu will start with a qualifier.

Fernandez gets the local favorite Mladenovic. Could be a tough crowd for her.

Rafa has the draw from hell, so much so you would think somebody deliberately stacked it. Final five rounds:

Fognini
FAA
Djokovic
Alcaraz/zverev
Tsitsipas (who is a happy man tonight)

Most interesting first round match: Shapo versus Rune.

Yeah, it'd be hard to pick a tougher draw than that. I don't see him winning this tournament.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
ATP and WTA have negated Wimbledon' s ranking points in response to Wimbledon's unilateral decision to ban Russian and Belarussian nationals from participating in the Championships this year.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

Swiatek's draw is pretty friggin hard. Obviously she may luck out and Halep or Ostapenko could both go down before R4 but TBH her likely R3-R4-QF opponents are all damn hard. I feel 100$ on Jabeur Sakkari and Anisimova has huge payout potential because if Swiatek does not win it I believe one of them does and with those odds putting down a total of 300 pays off massively if one of them wins

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
ATP and WTA have negated Wimbledon' s ranking points in response to Wimbledon's unilateral decision to ban Russian and Belarussian nationals from participating in the Championships this year.

Essentially an exhibition now.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Essentially an exhibition now.

They are trying badly to force the USO's hand. Personally I feel due to election consequences in the states from heavily conservative voting Russian Americans they are not going to touch this. But I could be wrong. I would be shocked if they did if the ATP/WTA did not do the same again and let the AO ultimately call their bluff in January

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Big upset already with Jabeur going out.

Felix up next. Looking to get out of the first round for the first time. He's only played the main draw at Roland Garros twice, 0-2. He's made at least the QF in every other major.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Things not looking too good for Thiem. Loses in straight set today and hasn't won a match this year.

Sad...we'll see if he ever regains any type of form.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Didn't see it, but noticed Kanepi is up to her usual Grand Slam shenanigans knocking off Muguruza in the first round. I bet in GSs players pull their hair out it when they see her in their draw.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad