Rumor: Free Agent Frenzy: Yamamoto & Puljujarvi elect Salary Arbitration

Status
Not open for further replies.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Its not just experience its a combination of experience, creative thinking and other beneficial personality traits, and hopefully SUCCESS. Even a small series of successes could easily trump 20 years of male-centric staff work for a middling old school NHL org.

And once again, “diversity hiring” or “affirmative action” by just guaranteeing a role to a person who ticks boxes outside of their ability to perform, is backwards, lazy, and damaging to the organization.

In these cases, the RIGHT candidate is most likely not applying. You have to headhunt them. Go to Hockey Canada or USA Hockey or top Sports science/Math/Analytics universities and find out who their top female scouts are in recent years who take analytics and other factors into consideration. Pay for first class tickets and a full meal deal to come tour the city and discuss the future of women in pro hockey. Find out which of them are really creative thinkers and have ideas about how to drive the industry forward and create advantages for your organization. Develop long-term relationships with all of them, but hire the best of them and make mentoring local females in the industry part of their job description.

Thats too hard though, so most orgs will just guarantee the job to whichever female applies. The “old boys club” in mens hockey is probably not that much different from the “old girls club”. The “MOST EXPERIENCED” candidates may not be the ones you are looking for if you are looking for a fresh perspective. You have to dig a little deeper. But you’re too lazy.

Anyway, This is putting the horse before the cart because we really have no idea what they’re doing behind the scenes based on some offhand comment to DNB, but if they’re serious about diversity they should be developing it and not following a traditional hiring precess That will most likely turn up predominantly male candidates.
I understand your point, but all of those traits are subjective and not very easy to hire for. On top of that, women likely have not had the same exposure to success given the high barriers to enter the professional hockey industry.

In my option, affirmative action is a jump start to getting traditionally underrepresented groups in positions to which they otherwise would not have access.

I understand that you have to reshape the entire industry but it needs to be a top-down approach. The NHL has to pave the path for women to be in such roles so that other leagues will follow. No one is saying you shouldn't be developing female talent as well, but there are definitely qualified women already out there who have comparable capabilities to any man that would traditionally be considered. If you give a slight preference to these groups it goes a long way to opening the door for others in the future.
Your ethnically or gender should never be taken into consideration for a job. Especially race. Unless of coarse it’s a gender specific position.
That is very easy to say for people who have not historically been marginalized and prevented access to certain opportunities. If hockey and (society at large, by extension) had always been inclusive, we could completely ignore such things, but unfortunately we don't live in such a utopia. Take a look at OEG's organization structure and you'll see it's currently 100% comprised of Caucasian males. If race/gender had never been taken into consideration historically, then you would expect there to be more diversity on the team. In reality, many of these people have these jobs because they are "in circle" or have connections to the industry (through family or otherwise).

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
Would of preferred Nino for that vs JP at whatever Kapanen got
Yes when you get to that 3-4 million area there's pretty interesting options so it's not like JP and Yamo are the only options. Then again it's kind of nice to keep players that already are in the system, but even if the Oilers loose JP or Yamo they should be able to get pretty good players with that money.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
More gross stuff on sportsnet, in particular about virtanen's case.

One gross story after another lately. 80% of their landing page for hockey is about gross stuff.
Unfortunately the gross outrage stuff gets more attention and engagement then the boring "Neiderreiter signs a 2 year 8 mill deal with Nashville" or the "Yams may sign a 2 year deal ahead of arbitration" stuff

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't mean to make your nights worse, but at least this season Pulju's stats are quite clearly better than Kapanen's. Total points, +-, points/60, goals/60, advanced stats etc. I have no idea what the arbitration guys consider, though, but just mentioned those as I was curious to compare the two Finns stats. I know nothing, but I wouldn't be surprised if the salary for Pulju was around 3.5 mill. Can be less, too, but I guess even more as well as I have no idea really 😊
Arbitration isn't based on just one season, although I'm sure recency bias plays a small factor. If you look at the body of work based on raw numbers over the last 4 years...

Kapanen - 55 goals, 142 points in 266 games
Puljujarvi - 45 goals, 90 points in 231 games
Yamamoto - 40 goals, 90 points in 177 games

Kapanen has the better track record but also had the worst most recent season, albeit not playing along elite players, so it balances out.

The fact of the matter is that both Puljujarvi and Yamamoto are 3rd cogs on their line and are expendable so if either demands too much, they'll have to be moved and the Oilers will be just fine. The problem with a too high arbitration number is that it lessens their trade value so kind of a tough situation for player and team.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
There seems to be a pretty big discrepancy between what a lot of RFAs can earn through arb rulings and what they're actually worth on the open market.

$3.2m for Kapanen hours after seeing Niederreiter sign for $4m is pretty jarring, honestly.

Kinda dumb.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
JFC.. :(

I just finished reading about Hockey Canada revoking access for victims to their obviously bullshit support fund.

Though it's gross and disgusting and not what I want to read about when I go to sportsnet, I am happy these kinds of things are beginning to come out. Because we all know they've been going on forever.

Isn't there a designated thread for this?

Not saying it is not worth discussing, but is the free agency thread the place?

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Yea correct me if I'm wrong but Pittsburgh's options with Kapanen were to pay him at least 3.2 a year or to not qualify him to begin with.

Pretty nice of him to not ask for a raise though. That probably doesn't happen too often.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
I believe that was his QO, but he also got one more year.
They did give him an extra year to take him to UFA status yea, though I guess they idea there is that that's still the minimum amount of money they'd have to give him over that period (unless they gave him 1 year and then decided not to qualify him next summer, I guess.)

Jarvi

Mar 22, 2012
Can there be a separate thread for this?
You're right. Won't continue on with that subject. Though it does seem to be the dog days with little news right now.

Back on topic though, I'm glad to see that the team will hold onto Pulju if the right offer isn't there. Getting a 2nd for him would be a big loss imo.

Reactions: Duke74

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Not only that but how many points would Draisaitl have with a more competent winger? How many points would McDavid have if Puljujarvi wasn't constantly falling on his ass with a wide-open net? Both of these guys deserve better wingers; McDavid now has that in Kane. I'd like to see Draisaitl with RNH-Hyman to start and Puljujarvi on the third line, where I think he can better use his gifts. I think between him and Yamamoto, Puljujarvi's the keeper.

I’ll flip it on you, how many less points would McDavid have without JP creating time and space and creating loose pucks for McDavid to pounce on? Lowetide said it best- McDavid with an extra 2 feet of space and 1 second of time is lethal- and JP is very good at creating that 2 feet of space and 1 second of time.

Celleyna

Jun 4, 2009
So to the woke warriors on here, how come it's ok to say that women may have traits that could help them in any position over men, such as having a better temperament as suggested in this thread (my partner must be an exception to that rule). But it's literally Hitler speak to say maybe they have some inherent quality that would make them a detriment compared to a man? Is this equality, women do stuff better than men but insinuating they do anything worse is sexist? Not that Im saying they do anything worse, the hypocrisy just makes me chuckle.

Diversity quotas are garbage and the last thing this org should be focusing on. Get the best people regardless of gender/race etc. Granted, scouting is a tough one as it's pretty difficult to assess without giving them a job and seeing results, especially if they have little to no experience.
Who said that women have traits for positions "over men". We are not assigning traits to genders dude. We are saying women get overlooked regardless of the traits they have and may have a different perspective. You turning the convo to suit your narrative of what is being said is trolling. So good for you, you got me.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
You're right. Won't continue on with that subject. Though it does seem to be the dog days with little news right now.

Back on topic though, I'm glad to see that the team will hold onto Pulju if the right offer isn't there. Getting anything decent for him would be awesome (including a second round pick).
Fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad