Rumor: Free Agent Frenzy: Yamamoto & Puljujarvi elect Salary Arbitration

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
So to the woke warriors on here, how come it's ok to say that women may have traits that could help them in any position over men, such as having a better temperament as suggested in this thread (my partner must be an exception to that rule). But it's literally Hitler speak to say maybe they have some inherent quality that would make them a detriment compared to a man? Is this equality, women do stuff better than men but insinuating they do anything worse is sexist? Not that Im saying they do anything worse, the hypocrisy just makes me chuckle.

Diversity quotas are garbage and the last thing this org should be focusing on. Get the best people regardless of gender/race etc. Granted, scouting is a tough one as it's pretty difficult to assess without giving them a job and seeing results, especially if they have little to no experience.

Maybe try listening?

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
So to the woke warriors on here, how come it's ok to say that women may have traits that could help them in any position over men, such as having a better temperament as suggested in this thread (my partner must be an exception to that rule). But it's literally Hitler speak to say maybe they have some inherent quality that would make them a detriment compared to a man? Is this equality, women do stuff better than men but insinuating they do anything worse is sexist? Not that Im saying they do anything worse, the hypocrisy just makes me chuckle.

Diversity quotas are garbage and the last thing this org should be focusing on. Get the best people regardless of gender/race etc. Granted, scouting is a tough one as it's pretty difficult to assess without giving them a job and seeing results, especially if they have little to no experience.
What makes them the best person, objectively, as a scout? As you say it's tough because it's so subjective. So the easiest path to take is to hire the person with the most hours/years doing scouting, which is invariably some old white dude that's been around the NHL forever. Then you have everyone complaining we are run by OBC dinosaurs.

Seems like the team can't win. Perpetuate the "tenured" OBC people or hire out of the box and get slayed for it being "diversity quota". The people you coin 'woke warriors' get upset, or the OBC apologists like yourself get upset.

Reactions: North

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
u guys and gals need to go out and enjoy your summer. It won't last. lol

The name of this board is not HF Politics.

Not sure why inclusion should be considered political?

Everyone should have the same rights and opportunity regardless of gender or race.

1658432528713.png

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
I’ll flip it on you, how many less points would McDavid have without JP creating time and space and creating loose pucks for McDavid to pounce on? Lowetide said it best- McDavid with an extra 2 feet of space and 1 second of time is lethal- and JP is very good at creating that 2 feet of space and 1 second of time.
That's a great point; Puljujarvi seems to excel at creating chaos, which distracts the defence just enough to let McDavid roam freely. As long as he's used in this manner and not as a finisher, he's great as a third wheel on a line. Hence why I prefer him to Yamamoto if it comes down to a choice between the two.

Not sure why inclusion should be considered political?

Everyone should have the same rights and opportunity regardless of gender or race.

View attachment 571463
Isn't that Yamamoto on the left? :sarcasm:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
That's a great point; Puljujarvi seems to excel at creating chaos, which distracts the defence just enough to let McDavid roam freely. As long as he's used in this manner and not as a finisher, he's great as a third wheel on a line. Hence why I prefer him to Yamamoto if it comes down to a choice between the two.
There are so many examples of him creating space for McDavid just by blocking defenders and taking up space.

The guy is truly worth keeping.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
How so? They'd have over $9m to spend, including LTIR, if Foegele is moved with no salary coming back. Granted, $6M is close to the limit that they can't spend on those two but it's doable if Foegele is moved.
It would be over $7M for JP, Yamamoto and McLeod. That leaves them $2M on 20 players. If they go to 22 they would have reached they would have no room for anyone else. With their AHL team in Bak and with no accruement they can't play the whole season with 22. They would end up short handed for their game roster multiple times during the year just managing short term injuries.

I think Foegele and JP pretty much have to go unless JP and Yamamoto take deals at or below $2.5M on average or unless they move Barrie. .

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
What makes them the best person, objectively, as a scout? As you say it's tough because it's so subjective. So the easiest path to take is to hire the person with the most hours/years doing scouting, which is invariably some old white dude that's been around the NHL forever. Then you have everyone complaining we are run by OBC dinosaurs.

Seems like the team can't win. Perpetuate the "tenured" OBC people or hire out of the box and get slayed for it being "diversity quota". The people you coin 'woke warriors' get upset, or the OBC apologists like yourself get upset.
The practical solution is to hire less experienced people into junior scouting positions so that they can gain the necessary experience to become qualified senior scouts.

Most NHL teams tend to not do this though and would rather save the 80K or whatever. But they’re ok overpaying a player by “only” 500K per year for 5 years.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
The practical solution is to hire less experienced people into junior scouting positions so that they can gain the necessary experience to become qualified senior scouts.

Most NHL teams tend to not do this though and would rather save the 80K or whatever. But they’re ok overpaying a player by “only” 500K per year for 5 years.

szabados-shannon-05896157.jpg

:D Do it!

Reactions: Cloned

TameYew

Oct 24, 2016
Getting a second for puljujarvi would be a bad trade if he’s signed at a decent cap hit.

20 games into the season posters wanted to give him a 8 year deal at like 5m.

Now they want to give him away
What if McD and Drai refuse to play on the same line as JP?

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
I don't think anyone here is saying we shouldn't have inclusion, just pick the right person for the job...regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation etc..

Here is the answer why its not just that simple to just hire the "best person". Not everybody has the same advantages to start and build up that skill set. ^

If there was a 100m race and one person starts at the 50m line while the other one starts all the way at the back and you asked me who was going to win that race, I would prob say the person with the headstart. The person at the back may be the fastest but the person with the head start will probably win.

Thats kind of the same case here. Lot of these scouts played high-end mens hockey, have connections and have worked in the industry for years when women have never got those opportunities for decades. They've consistently gotten this headstart when it comes to hockey. When comparing resumes/experiance/etc its always going to be the man. Thats why if you want to boost inclusion sometimes you have to look for the person who has potential a chance and enable people who may not normally get that opportunity, in this case women in hockey.

Last edited:

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
If Tkachuk goes to St. Lou expect Oil Kings’ Jake Neighbours to be part of the package heading to Calgary. He probably grew up a Flames fan as I think he’s from Airdrie.

Reactions: Faelko

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
If Tkachuk goes to St. Lou expect Oil Kings’ Jake Neighbours to be part of the package heading to Calgary. He probably grew up a Flames fan as I think he’s from Airdrie.

Would be a smart move - take some berta kids. Kind weird though - Calgary is a much nicer place to live then St Louis.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Nino @ 4M would have been nice.

Have time for Kap @ 3.2M as well.

Yamo and Pulju better have a great year and great playoffs. Oilers had plenty of options (not just the ones above) at RW if they weren’t tied to trusting their home grown RFAs (who seemingly won’t even come cheap)

Reactions: Duke74

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
So because a women is ill-suited for coal mines and rough necking, then she is also not capable of being an NHL scout??? Makes no sense bud.
Why is a woman ill suited for coal mines or roughnecking? What is that supposed to mean?

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
It would be over $7M for JP, Yamamoto and McLeod. That leaves them $2M on 20 players. If they go to 22 they would have reached they would have no room for anyone else. With their AHL team in Bak and with no accruement they can't play the whole season with 22. They would end up short handed for their game roster multiple times during the year just managing short term injuries.

I think Foegele and JP pretty much have to go unless JP and Yamamoto take deals at or below $2.5M on average or unless they move Barrie. .

But this team has shown it plays exceptionally well with 11 forwards. There is no need to have 7 defensemen, since 6 d-men get no more or less tired if they play with 11 forwards or 12. (I'm saying we are set up to be a bit flexible with our roster)

And why move BOTH Foegele and JP? If your math is right we only need to move Foegele, no? 20 signed, $2M available, lose Foegele, you now have 19 with $4.75M available... that's PLENTY enough even to fill out a 24 man roster.

Kane McD Yama
Hyman Drai Rookie
Rookie RNH Pulju
Janmark Ryan Shore

$1M vet, $1M vet

Nurse Ceci
Kulak Bouchard
Broberg Barrie

$1M vet, $1M vet

Soup
Stew

That all fits right?

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I never said there is no men issues. High suicide rates, shittier jobs, parental rights, etc etc but the argument we cant fix one issue due to other issues going on in the world never made sense to me.
Right. Let us start with the glamorous jobs first. Give women equal opportunity there first.

Women equal in the hard (but well paying) jobs? Well, I guess we will talk about that later. LOL.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Is this the Canadian goalie who was critiquing Smith so accurately during the playoffs? (sorry... I'm in Boston and don't get Canadian broadcasts anymore, so her name isn't a "household name" to me)

If yes... 100% agree, she is sharp and would be an exceptional goalie scout (pro or amateur).

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Ask yourself. You brought it up. Do you even read your own posts?

No. You misread the post. I simply said that roughnecking 95% male and coal miners 98% men never seem to be mentioned when people want equal opportunities for women. Hockey executives, doctors, CEOs, lawyers? Yup. Need equality there for sure. The dirty hard jobs? Well, we will talk about equality there later.

Reactions: Biltmore
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad