Rumor: Free Agent Frenzy: Yamamoto & Puljujarvi elect Salary Arbitration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Right. Let us start with the glamorous jobs first. Give women equal opportunity there first.

Women equal in the shitty jobs? Well, I guess we will talk about that later. LOL.

So you admit they dont have equal opportunity in hockey then? Really telling on yourself lol

No. You misread the post. I simply said that roughnecking 95% male and coal miners 98% men never seem to be mentioned when people want equal opportunities for women. Hockey executives, doctors, CEOs, lawyers? Yup. Need equality there for sure. The dirty hard jobs? Well, we will talk about equality there later.

You mean powers of influence, prestige and power?

Reactions: Kerberos

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Is this the Canadian goalie who was critiquing Smith so accurately during the playoffs? (sorry... I'm in Boston and don't get Canadian broadcasts anymore, so her name isn't a "household name" to me)

If yes... 100% agree, she is sharp and would be an exceptional goalie scout (pro or amateur).

The very same. Also a local. Do it!

Reactions: McBooya42

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
So you admit they dont have equal opportunity in hockey then? Really telling on yourself lol

You mean powers of influence, prestige and power?

Yep. Women only get to work in the influential, prestigious and powerful jobs.

Hard jobs are for men only. Why do more women not complain about being marginalized as coal workers? Stop dodging the question.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
But this team has shown it plays exceptionally well with 11 forwards. There is no need to have 7 defensemen, since 6 d-men get no more or less tired if they play with 11 forwards or 12. (I'm saying we are set up to be a bit flexible with our roster)

And why move BOTH Foegele and JP? If your math is right we only need to move Foegele, no? 20 signed, $2M available, lose Foegele, you now have 19 with $4.75M available... that's PLENTY enough even to fill out a 24 man roster.

Kane McD Yama
Hyman Drai Rookie
Rookie RNH Pulju
Janmark Ryan Shore

$1M vet, $1M vet

Nurse Ceci
Kulak Bouchard
Broberg Barrie

$1M vet, $1M vet

Soup
Stew

That all fits right?
I'd take JP over Foegele any day. I think we'll have to accept a few rookies and league minimum players on the opening day roster for us to fit under the cap. I think the lineup on opening night will be similar to yours (you forgot Mcleod). I wouldn't doubt if all 4 of Holloway, Bourgault, Broberg and Samorukov make the opening night roster.

Reactions: bucks_oil

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I set up the straw man? You literally did in your first post when bringing up coal workers and roughnecks mate.

Fair question. Why won't anyone tell me why women don't complain about being underrepresented in the oilfield

(I guess it is because women only want equality to work in the oilfield CEO jobs).

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021
If there was a 100m race and one person starts at the 50m line while the other one starts all the way at the back and you asked me who was going to win that race, I would prob say the person with the headstart. The person at the back may be the fastest but the person with the head start will probably win.
I've always found this analogy particularly salient. Many years ago I saw this video of, I think, a highschool coach/teacher who used it as a teaching tool. I wish there were more like him in our education systems.

It's really sad (and reflective of so many issues in society today) that instead of understanding or being capable of any empathy whatsoever, people would rather double down on their whataboutism by retreating to their preconceived notions and ignoring the points you and others have brought up. How hard is it to listen to what people are telling you so you can understand why others, through no fault of their own, often have to work twice as hard and be twice as qualified in order to be afforded the same opportunities.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Fair question. Why won't anyone tell me why women don't complain about being underrepresented in the oilfield

(I guess it is because women only want equality to work in the oilfield CEO jobs).

This is such a strange argument. You are right - you need extremly strong durable people to be in the oil-feilds or coal mines and women arent suited for that... what does have to do with under representation in the hockey world?

Reactions: oilers'72

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Kinda pissed that we overpaid Foegele. Thought we overpaid at the time. Obvious that Carolina didn’t think he was worth what he was asking. Oilers made an okay bet on the player as his combination of size, speed, youth, and highlight reels was enticing… but that bet was made with too much money. I’d want to give the Foegele experiment another year but it doesn’t look like we can afford it if JP/Yams go for max contracts

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Kinda pissed that we overpaid Foegele. Thought we overpaid at the time. Obvious that Carolina didn’t think he was worth what he was asking. Oilers made an okay bet on the player as his combination of size, speed, youth, and highlight reels was enticing… but that bet was made with too much money. I’d want to give the Foegele experiment another year but it doesn’t look like we can afford it if JP/Yams go for max contracts

Its just one of those things where Carolina just has the effect of making a player look better then he is. They have a great support system and great depth and I think it wasnt a horrible bet to make when we extended him. I do agree that it hurts now though

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
This is such a strange argument. You are right - you need extremly strong durable people to be in the oil-feilds or coal mines and women arent suited for that... what does have to do with under representation in the hockey world?
Bah. Do not need to be that "extremly" strong or durable to work in a coal mine. Just need to want to do it.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Its just one of those things where Carolina just has the affects of making a player look better then he is. They have a great support system and great depth and I think it wasnt a horrible bet to make when we extended him. I do agree that it hurts now though
Carolina GMing I think is tops in the League at this point. Agreed that they have a good core and good system that allows for bringing out the best in players. And they take full advantage of it by pumping and dumping distressed assets for huge returns. Now they get impact players being sent to them for free with their cap space management, that they can then pump and dump again.

Reactions: Forgot About Drai

North

Jun 25, 2009
No. You misread the post. I simply said that roughnecking 95% male and coal miners 98% men never seem to be mentioned when people want equal opportunities for women. Hockey executives, doctors, CEOs, lawyers? Yup. Need equality there for sure. The dirty hard jobs? Well, we will talk about equality there later.

What does this have to do with Oilers desire to hire a female scout?

This makes absolutely no sense.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
What does this have to do with Oilers desire to hire a female scout?

This makes absolutely no sense.

I don't know. Some guy above had a problem with it. I am all for equal opportunity for both genders in all occupations.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
But this team has shown it plays exceptionally well with 11 forwards. There is no need to have 7 defensemen, since 6 d-men get no more or less tired if they play with 11 forwards or 12. (I'm saying we are set up to be a bit flexible with our roster)

And why move BOTH Foegele and JP? If your math is right we only need to move Foegele, no? 20 signed, $2M available, lose Foegele, you now have 19 with $4.75M available... that's PLENTY enough even to fill out a 24 man roster.

Kane McD Yama
Hyman Drai Rookie
Rookie RNH Pulju
Janmark Ryan Shore

$1M vet, $1M vet

Nurse Ceci
Kulak Bouchard
Broberg Barrie

$1M vet, $1M vet

Soup
Stew

That all fits right?
It's $2M left with 20 players after you deal Foegele. So the best you could do would be a 22 man roster. But short term injuries count against the cap so the team would be playing with less that 20 men fairly often as injuries are nearly impossible to avoid over the course of a season.

Teams like TO can play with a shorter roster because they can call up a player in 30 minutes. Teams often have shorter rosters in the first month to accrue cap space. But that is not an option with LTIR.

If JP and Yamamoto get $3M+each either two of Foegele + Yam/JP go or Barrie goes. I just don't see any practical way around it.

The problem you have is that options to trade any of these guys without taking back more salary than you can handle are disappearing fast. There is now very little excess cap space left in the system with multiple team looking to dump salary to get compliant.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Right. Let us start with the glamorous jobs first. Give women equal opportunity there first.

Women equal in the hard (but well paying) jobs? Well, I guess we will talk about that later. LOL.
I see, so the real reason you posted this was that Women don't deserve shots at being Lawyers and Doctors because they haven't been in the trenches doing back breaking work like (very few) Men yet...I'm an accountant, do I deserve that job as dude because I also didn't go hit the coal mines like some other dudes. Should they get first crack at being an accountant while I take their job in the mines?

Reactions: oilers'72

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
I see, so the real reason you posted this was that Women don't deserve shots at being Lawyers and Doctors because they haven't been in the trenches like Men yet...

Whoa now. I never said that. I just wondered why women demand equality in some professions and not others. My wife is a lawyer.

Please go back and read what was posted before you accuse me of things I never said.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005

When other mods ask me what forum I moderate, I change the subject.

There are so many cringy takes, I'm not even going to bother. For posterity, you can live with what has been posted.

I've recognized the same people who think bounce threads are dope and think posting pinup models is good luck are the same people who got bent out of shape over female hires.

We're taking a time out.

You will not bring garbage into the next R&P thread or you will quickly discover you will not be allowed back the next R&P thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad