Rumor: Free Agent Frenzy: Yamamoto & Puljujarvi elect Salary Arbitration

Status
Not open for further replies.

PULSATING

Sep 20, 2018
Most qualified should get the job. Gender shouldn’t be a topic and neither should skin colour but that’s the world we live in
What if the most qualified person doesn't even get an interview because of their skin colour or gender?

We don't live in a perfect world where the people hiring have no biases, its ok to give people a leg up.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Everyday there is less and less cap space to go around. At some pointsoon teams will start handing Anaheim assets to get their cap under control. Best not to be the last in line when it comes to shedding cap.
For sure, but so much of this is still "what are Klingberg and Kadri doing?" Which just sucks.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
That’s fine but keep your gender preferences internally then. Announing it seems more like a publicly stunt to show they are diversity woke. Next they will specifically ask for every different ethnicity so they can cover that as well.
Was this announced before or after the leak about Katz situation? I hope that this isn't just a way to try and show that Katz is not a sleaze ball to women in his hiring practices like he is accused of being away from the rink.

CapsFrontOffice

Jul 8, 2014
Yikes.....I'am sure this was not a surprise to Edmonton fans but to us outside of serious discussion surrounding Edmonton daily....ouch. Hopefully it can get fixed, I thought you guys were locked a loaded.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
What if the most qualified person doesn't even get an interview because of their skin colour or gender?

We don't live in a perfect world where the people hiring have no biases, its ok to give people a leg up.
Then the person doing the interviewing should be shit canned.

Reactions: ujju2

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Congrats you just solved racism and sexism in the workplace.

The problem is it goes all the way to the top.
I get your point, however that is the only way to really change the system. Hiring people that truly have the best interest of the company in mind and looks to hire the best personnel available regardless of anything outside of that.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Sure thing lol

Agreed. Just go through Twitter and I think everyone here will see what we are talking about lol
I do find it funny that the extremely vocal twitter heads have completely ignored the Serevalli comment about whining

Arctic Fox

Nov 17, 2007
Most qualified should get the job. Gender shouldn’t be a topic and neither should skin colour but that’s the world we live in
Amazon had an AI program to select most qualified candidates. They've been training it, re-training it, scraping off all gender specific traits etc. Eventually, they lost hope and abandoned the project because evil computers misogynistically refused to match their virtuous woke quotas and still preferred men. Never trust those evil machines! Source: Amazon scraps secret AI recruiting tool that showed bias against women

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Kapanen re-signed for 3.2 mil x 2? Not sure if 100% confirmed.

Good news for Yama and JP. Probably not good news for the Oilers.

Maybe Foegeles contract isnt as bad as we make it out to be lol
Kapanen has more of a track record than Pulju and Yamo, at least that's what I'm telling myself to help me sleep better at night haha.

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
Was this announced before or after the leak about Katz situation? I hope that this isn't just a way to try and show that Katz is not a sleaze ball to women in his hiring practices like he is accused of being away from the rink.
Well apparently whoever they hire SHE is going to get paid well…😬

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Except we know because of racism and sexism that people don't get opportunities at the same rate as white men. So positions need to be opened up to highly qualified people who are currently not even being considered. Like women or people of colour. That is why there is a need to state that you want specific perspectives on your team.
I respectfully agree with your post except for the last sentence. But as I’ve learned on these sorts of matters, we won’t see eye to eye no matter what either us posts, so I will disagree with that sentence and move on. Cheers.

PULSATING

Sep 20, 2018
I get your point, however that is the only way to really change the system. Hiring people that truly have the best interest of the company in mind and looks to hire the best personnel available regardless of anything outside of that.
The system was built by the people it favours. It's naive to think that will change without explicitly changing who it favours. In a perfect world I agree with you but that's not where we live. Affirmative action is a stop gap solution to get people involved who have been historically denied entry.

The league and the team will be better for it.

IDK how hockey fans can see all the sexism and racism controversies surrounding the game and then think it's a bad idea to explicitly include more POC and women.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Yams and JP going to come in at 3+ mill? Oh boy.
Yamamoto isn't worth 3 million. Barely cracked 20 goals and 40 points playing with the league's best passers continually feeding him dimes. If that's the price that arbitration decides, Holland is best to move him and possibly a pick/prospect for a top 4 defensemen. There's certainly no way I would move Barrie to accommodate his salary as that's taking away from an already-depleted D core to keep a middling forward.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
I can’t speak about that, I don’t work in an office enviroment. I was only relaying my observation from they two specific banks that I deal with.

I understand that and I dont mean to be accusatory or anything, but why do we only think there is bias/affirmative action hiring when its all minorities? Its completely possible that all those women were hired because they were the best candidates.

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
So with Puljujarvi and Yamamoto both having arbitration dates set, does that mean no deal will be done before that?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Bob Stauffer believes Kailer Yamamoto’s contract may be signed before the arbitration date to a 2-3 year contract
If, somehow, it can come in under $3M per, that's will be huge imo.

So with Puljujarvi and Yamamoto both having arbitration dates set, does that mean no deal will be done before that?
Quite the opposite as I understand it, it means there's a "deadline" to reach a deal so the team can avoid the arbitration process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad