GDT: Free Agent Frenzy Part 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
mirtle 13m
Jets re-sign Michael Hutchinson. Two-year deal for $1.15-million. He's likely Pavelec's backup.

one less option for Marty

GhostofKenKlee

From what I read, Marty priced himself out of two gigs. Tampa and Pittsburgh.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
He wants term i think, 4 years.

I'd give him 4 years 5 million tops, although i think he might come in a little cheaper than that if he gets the 4 years that take him until he's 37.

My guess is 4 years, 4.5-4.75M AAV.

Rumor was 4.5x4....very reasonable

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
We can easily fix the numbers problem up front if we add Vrbata;

1) Gionta and Bernier were loyalty deals, likely case is noone else offered them an NHL contract and Lou repaid their service with cheap 1-way deals. They could absolutely be waived at any point (Bernier especially) to see if another team will give them a shot in the NHL. Gionta probably figures to be an energy guy / healthy scratch a fair bit of the time along with Josefson.

2) Clowe might not even be healthy, hopefully he is as i like him as a player, but it's a legitimate possibility he gets put on the LTIR indefinitely.

3) Budget & offensively starved teams will absolutely trade for the last year of the Brunner/Ryder contracts, maybe Lou realizes they aren't great fits with our team and intends to deal them away for picks or a defenceman. Zubrus could probably be moved too if need be.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I want to sign Vrbata just to watch Lou try to make this work :laugh:

Yeah I'm starting to get a morbid fascination to see what happens if Vrbata signs AND Carter returns :sarcasm:

Honestly it probably shouldn't surprise us we're still in on Vrbata given we were supposedly kicking the tires on Brian (based on Clemmer's quote about trying to recruit him).

NHL Fanatik*

Im afraid MTL gets him. They got Sekac, and they might just get Vrbata.

Getting everyone I want. >_<

NHL Fanatik*

Yeah I'm starting to get a morbid fascination to see what happens if Vrbata signs AND Carter returns :sarcasm:

Honestly it probably shouldn't surprise us we're still in on Vrbata given we were supposedly kicking the tires on Brian (based on Clemmer's quote about trying to recruit him).

I think after Brian was out, we went the Havlat route.

I think adding a guy like Vrbata was a plan all along. Literally fits into our team too well to not be.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Someone will want Ryder. Teams that lost out on goal scoring FA will make the move for him.

After that i have no idea who moves. I dont really want to move Brunner, Zubrus might be valuable to a young team as a leader type guy. I dont think he would move Ruutu but who knows.

- Ryder will be a consolation prize for teams that missed out on bigger names
- Brunner will have suitors looking for depth and due to what he did in Detroit and his low cap hit
- Zubrus can go to a young cap floor team

They're all movable. I'd love to see some youth or picks added to this organization.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Rumor was 4.5x4....very reasonable

Yeah, i really think there's a good chance we'll get him purely because i'm not sure the other teams supposedly in the running will be willing to commit to the 4 year term he wants.

Personally, i think Vrbata will still absolutely be effective at 37, he plays a skill game that won't decline substantially in the next few years, i have no qualms with that at all.

Montreal doesn't seem willing to commit long term to older players and i'm not convinced he'd go back to Tampa. How Boston expects to sign him i have no idea; they can barely fit all their own guys under the cap, hence why Iginla left in the first place. They'd have to deal Krug and Smith to even consider adding Vrbata.

Really the only team i could potentially see is San Jose if he wanted to stay out west, but they're already deep at forward and seem to want to get younger and trade away their veterans.

NHL Fanatik*

Cammal - Zajac - Jagr
Brunner- Henrique - Vrbata
Clowe - Elias - Havlat
Zubrus - Ruutu - Gionta
Bernier

Would not mind that roster one bit. Carter would have to not be signed in order for this to work.

I love that roster.

Edit: Someone mentioned it, so I thought Cammal sounded funny.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
- Ryder will be a consolation prize for teams that missed out on bigger names
- Brunner will have suitors looking for depth and due to what he did in Detroit and his low cap hit
- Zubrus can go to a young cap floor team

They're all movable. I'd love to see some youth or picks added to this organization.
I'm not as confident. Look at what Yzerman had to do to get rid of Purcell.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Yeah, i really think there's a good chance we'll get him purely because i'm not sure the other teams supposedly in the running will be willing to commit to the 4 year term he wants.

Personally, i think Vrbata will still absolutely be effective at 37, he plays a skill game that won't decline substantially in the next few years, i have no qualms with that at all.

Montreal doesn't seem willing to commit long term to older players and i'm not convinced he'd go back to Tampa. How Boston expects to sign him i have no idea; they can barely fit all their own guys under the cap, hence why Iginla left in the first place. They'd have to deal Krug and Smith to even consider adding Vrbata.

Really the only team i could potentially see is San Jose if he wanted to stay out west, but they're already deep at forward and seem to want to get younger and trade away their veterans.

I'm fine with the term. If by the end of it he's dropping off a bit we can always drop him down to the 3rd to be a steady force and mentor to the young guys we (should) have coming up....it's not like he'd be $7M guy on a lower line.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
I think after Brian was out, we went the Havlat route.

I think adding a guy like Vrbata was a plan all along. Literally fits into our team too well to not be.

Agreed, i think Havlat was signed as insurance, he was a speculative punt similar to Sykora a few years back. If he's got something left in the tank and can produce, terrific for us, if not we lose absolutely nothing.

I'd be shocked if we were planning to rely on Havlat, he's the typical low risk but potentially big reward signing. Even the Elias quote suggests we don't really know what we're getting with him, Elias said something about hopefully he can return to the player he was before. Obviously i hope he does great, stays healthy and produces, but if we were looking to add another top 6 winger, we're probably still trying to do that.

Havlat is too unreliable to count on for those kind of minutes or point production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad