Get Draisaitl and McDavid some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
Difficult to compare stats between the remaining teams since most teams have a different number of games played, but here's the Rangers since both they and the Oilers are at 9 games.

5 on 5 scoring chances against
Edmonton: 172
NYR: 209

5 on 5 high danger chances against
Edmonton: 74
NYR: 83

5 on 5 shots against
Edmonton: 186
NYR: 221

5 on 5 expected goals against
Edmonton: 17.13
NYR: 19.22

5 on 5 actual goals against
Edmonton: 20
NYR: 16
Interesting.

Where are the 5 v 5 goals for?

And how did the 5 v 5 stats work out last night?

Last night was my argument in a single game.

The pp didn’t help their team and when they don’t have that the 5 v 5 is where they should step up.

Didn’t work last night. Hopefully it will in game 6

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
A Canuck fan since 1970, just saying right off the bat.
I have always been a little envious of the Oilers.
This Oiler team from an outside perspective has a couple of issues, some of which Holland has put a bandaid on but while I never like to single out a player there is an issue with Nurse.
A decent defenceman but way over paid and it has handcuffed management with cap issues.
And goalies. For some reason Edmonton has never really had great goalies. Even in those cup winning years it was the team in front and the defence.

I picked the Oilers to easily defeat the Canucks. I started to think the Nux might have a chance when the got huge on defence with the addition of Zadorov and Tocchet changing the system shortly after the All Star break.

I have no doubt that the Oilers can win 2 games in a row, but maybe not against Vancouver. Tocchet has them almost playing like a cult. They almost never retaliate or are getting rattled. There is almost no emotion in their game. A little disappointing because a clash of 91's would be ..

IMO defence. And a great goalie coach. And less ice time for the dynamic duo. The rest of the team is relying on them, confident that those two can pull it out. Sounds bad but sort of hero worship.

I see what many watching minor hockey might see, a really good player on the ice and the rest just kind stop and watch. I coached and actually had players not wanting to go on the ice because they didn't want to be the cause of a loss.

Whatever, defence wins championships. NJD of Lemaire years, a cult, Canucks of the Tocchet years, almost a cult, getting there.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Team defence wins cups. Not just goalies and dmen.

These 2 guys leading the league in playoff scoring this year have to help their team prevent goals more.

Their scoring isn’t enough.

When you have a head coach who coached McDavid in juniors, their mindset isn't about preventing goals, it's scoring more than the opponents.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
When you have a head coach who coached McDavid in juniors, their mindset isn't about preventing goals, it's scoring more than the opponents.
But it's been that way there since McDavid got there. The winning goal was a perfect example....who was "covering" Miller?

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
Neither Van nor Edm were playing defensive playoff hockey last night. Just back and forth break outs. Fun to watch but not going to win it all playing like that. Reminds me of the Panthers with Huby. They’re gonna have to change their whole system up if they want cups.

sbhnur

Dec 26, 2020
It's so funny reading this comments in this thread. It's so obvious who watched Oilers games over the past seasons and who not.

Just arguing by using numbers is so cheap - where is the story behind? What linemates do both players have when not playing together, who gets the good matchups and the o-zone starts, who is used for defensive zone faceoffs etc.

Highlight is talking about if Drai can center his own line. Ever thought about which wingers he would have on a solid build roster "carrying his own" line? I guess it would not be guys like Foegele, McLeod, Holloway and so on.

sbhnur

Dec 26, 2020
Maybe an unpopular opinion here, but if you use the Crosby-Malkin comparison, it might well be the case Drai is similar to Malkin but McD is not as good as Crosby.

McDrai never had a comparable good supporting cast behind them tbh.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Maybe an unpopular opinion here, but if you use the Crosby-Malkin comparison, it might well be the case Drai is similar to Malkin but McD is not as good as Crosby.

McDrai never had a comparable good supporting cast behind them tbh.

That's on Oilers management.
From the moment they drafted McDavid, they should have went full Crosby mode and surrounded him with veterans who knows what it takes to win in the playoffs.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Team defence wins cups. Not just goalies and dmen.

These 2 guys leading the league in playoff scoring this year have to help their team prevent goals more.

Their scoring isn’t enough.
That actually has nothing to do with the Oilers playoffs so far. Their depth scoring has been the biggest issue and their goaltending, not their defensive play. Last night the Oilers played badly, but for the rest of the playoffs their defensive play has not been an issue at all.

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
Oilers have great star power; McDavid, Draisaitl, Hyman, RNH, Ekholm, Bouchard. They have plenty of good support with Kane, McLeod, Henrique, Nurse, Perry, Foegele.. that's one of the deepest rosters. Penguins were able to deliver it on 2009 with support group nothing like that outside of Geno and Sid. If Oilers can't win, it's just because McDrai<<Sid and Geno.

Now they are choking to a mid team whose best player is no-show and elite goalie (and even backup) are injured. What a choke if they can't win this.

Reactions: sanscosm
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad