LOC - Meyers - Cogs
Sedlak

Toews - Makar
Girard - Kulak
Byram - EJ
JJ - MacDermid

George
Frank

By my count that would be about $192,000 below the cap.

Reactions: Richard88

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
With limited cap space for most teams and the number of decent quality RFAs who went un-tendered, there are going to be some surprising names leftover after the initial rush who will end up having to sign for a lot less than expected. That is when MacFarland should pounce on cheap depth.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I don’t think he wants to come here now anyways. Also, isn’t he kinda washed as a C and a much better wing now?
Yeah...that's the thing that bothers me about JT Miller...I always got the impression he was better suited for LW, not C. That's why I'm so hot Horvat or Trocheck. They'll probably get similar contracts in FA and the tradeoff is I think Vinny is a bit better playmaker and Horvat is more of a goal scorer. Also Vinny has had more injury history, which is the concern from me and what tips it in Bo's favor if I had my choice.

Reactions: Bender

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
Yeah...that's the thing that bothers me about JT Miller...I always got the impression he was better suited for LW, not C. That's why I'm so hot Horvat or Trocheck. They'll probably get similar contracts in FA and the tradeoff is I think Vinny is a bit better playmaker and Horvat is more of a goal scorer. Also Vinny has had more injury history, which is the concern from me and what tips it in Bo's favor if I had my choice.
I don’t want JT Miller at all. He’s a bandaid solution for one season which will cost a fortune who you can’t re-sign. Plus last season was an outlier. He’s not a 100 point center.

Yeah this is why I would love Schiefele. Signed for 2 more seasons at a decent cap hit. With Gaudreau leaving, if Calgary is forced to rebuild I would love Lindholm too.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
If the Avs go the Kulak route, I'd love to see them do:

Copp - 7x5.5M
Kulak - 3x2.25M
Heinen - 2x1.25M
Johnson - 1x800K
Lehkonen - 4x4M

Landy - Mack - Nuke
Lehky - Copp - Mikko
Heinen - JTC - Newhook
LOC - Meyers - Cogs
Sedlak

Toews - Makar
Girard - Kulak
Byram - EJ
JJ - MacDermid

George
Frank

Love it.

That’s a really good hockey team

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I voted 4 UFA signings.

That sounds like a lot but the Avs need to fill a number of depth roles, including:

- 2 Dmen (6D and 7D); and
- 1 bottom 6 forward (either 4C or 3RW depending on what the plan is with Meyers)

That's 3 right there, and they may also want to add another cheap 13/14th forward type to push Sedlak down one spot. There are more forwards available than usual so it makes sense to take advantage and add some cheap depth.

So that's 3-4 possible additions before even talking about 2C.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
I think Girard would play with Kulak.

Kulak is a LD. Like Girard

That would be an exceptional pairing to be honest.

Toews - Makar
Girard - Kulak
Byram - EJ

Would be an absolutely ridiculous Defense.

There is literally ZERO chance Byram is on the bottom pair next year after averaging the most 5 v 5 minutes in the playoffs.

And Kulak is a LD

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
If the Avs go the Kulak route, I'd love to see them do:

Copp - 7x5.5M
Kulak - 3x2.25M
Heinen - 2x1.25M
Johnson - 1x800K
Lehkonen - 4x4M

Landy - Mack - Nuke
Lehky - Copp - Mikko
Heinen - JTC - Newhook
LOC - Meyers - Cogs
Sedlak

Toews - Makar
Girard - Kulak
Byram - EJ
JJ - MacDermid

George
Frank

Copp isn't a center

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
My guess for the offseason

1 middle 6 forward signing
1 bottom pairing D man signing
1 trade for a 2C
1 PTO depth defenseman signing

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Nice that we're linked to Kulak, he'd be a fine addition.

Being linked to Kulak, and Manson being 50/50, suggests that the Avs are prioritising adding another solid Dman instead of spending on a 3rd line forward.

That approach makes sense as prices for Dmen at the deadline tend to be higher than wingers, so if you can box off the top 6D in UFA and then add a winger at the TDL it probably allows you to be more cost effective in terms of assets spent.

That's assuming of course that adding a pricey Dman doesn't preclude adding a 2C. As long as the Dman is in the $3m range though there should still be ~$5m to allocate towards a 2C:

$14m capspace

Lehkonen $4m
5/6 Dman $3m
4C $1m
7D $750k

That leaves $5.25m.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
objectively speaking, that Kane deal gotta be one of the best contracts in the league. not too long, less money than someone who puts his numbers should get... also if the Oilers do get Campbell, well... far from ideal but still... thats an upgrade on Smith... :dunno:

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
They’ll make the playoffs!
for a franchise that was bottom dwelling for so long, this could be the start of something better. its a learning process. how many years the Avs were just making the post-season for nothing, until they finally won? the way I see it, Edmonton could be on the same track.
of course, do I trust their management to do the same good trades and decisions as Sakic has done? no, not at all. but they have something good going on there. if only they didnt sign Nurse to that albatross of a contract...

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
No way Edmonton gets past LA or Vegas next year in the playoffs. Hell, I wouldn’t be shocked if they imploded again and missed the playoffs with Vancouver passing them and missing a wild card spot.

objectively speaking, that Kane deal gotta be one of the best contracts in the league. not too long, less money than someone who puts his numbers should get... also if the Oilers do get Campbell, well... far from ideal but still... thats an upgrade on Smith... :dunno:
The only thing Kane has consistently done is f*** things up. He’s shown no growth so I don’t see things ending well in Edmonton.

Also, Mike Smith was better in the playoffs and has a better track record than Campbell. Honestly, this could be a downgrade.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
Also, Mike Smith was better in the playoffs and has a better track record than Campbell. Honestly, this could be a downgrade.
of course, dude has 200 years in the league! lets be fair here: Campbell has only gotten the chance to play twice in the post-season so far. and in one of those, he was quite good.

• Haha
Reactions: Gatorbait19

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
of course, dude has 200 years in the league! lets be fair here: Campbell has only gotten the chance to play twice in the post-season so far. and in one of those, he was quite good.
I don't know, it's kinda telling that the Maple Leafs preferred Matt Murray to Campbell. We'll see though.

Reactions: Alienblood

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
I don't know, it's kinda telling that the Maple Leafs preferred Matt Murray to Campbell. We'll see though.
it sure is telling. telling, once again, how Dubas is a freaking idiot. lol get rid of Mrazek just to bring Murray is just... amazing. in a bad way, of course.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
1. Never read anyone with the playoff status thing for a team on their Twitter name.
The guy gets paychecks to cover the Avs and has a generic Facebook shitposter's understanding of the free agency process. God help anyone that goes to that site for legitimate coverage.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016

Upgrade in net. But i cant see that D win a championship. Especially when you pay Darnell Nurse 9.25 Mill....

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
He’s been good for essentially 1 calendar year in his 9 year professional career. It happening at 29 years old, odds are it was a fluke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad