How many NHL caliber UFAs will the Avs sign tomorrow

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Balances the caps
A bottom six line that excels in the POs is indispensable. The Cogs-Helm-LOC line up worked well in the POs. Obviously you can't say they'd be just as good again this time around but why not? They already were once before and LOC is versatile when he's on.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Devils missed on Tkachuk and Gaudreau...if they needed a center Kadri would probably be there at the moment.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The Devils/Gaudreau situation sounds like NJD just assumed he’d desperately want to go there so they didn’t really put their best foot forward
Pretty much how I see it. Probably felt like "well, Philadelphia doesn't have cap space so we'll lowball Johnny knowing we're the only team he wants." They didn't realize Gaudreau didn't really want to go home that bad.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Pretty much how I see it. Probably felt like "well, Philadelphia doesn't have cap space so we'll lowball Johnny knowing we're the only team he wants." They didn't realize Gaudreau didn't really want to go home that bad.
I think it's more about prefering to go to Columbus than a case of NJ lowballing him. Gaudreau reportedly told his agent to make a deal with Columbus as soon as he heard they were interested.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I think it's more about prefering to go to Columbus than a case of NJ lowballing him. Gaudreau reportedly told his agent to make a deal with Columbus as soon as he heard they were interested.
I'd love to know what NJ offered because the guy turned down millions from Calgary to play in Columbus, yet he was hesitant to finalize a signing with New Jersey.

I'd have to imagine it was a real lowball offer.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'd love to know what NJ offered because the guy turned down millions from Calgary to play in Columbus, yet he was hesitant to finalize a signing with New Jersey.

I'd have to imagine it was a real lowball offer.
Or he just didn't want to go there?

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
It's a pretty good trade until the Avs have to pay Lundell.
On that line of thinking I’m wondering if the Avs plan to sign anyone w/ remaining cap for more than a year. If we presume EJ‘s salary goes to re-up Mackinnon and if Newhook and/or Bryan have solid or great seasons they will probably need at least 5-6 million to sign both. Wouldn’t surprise me if for sure Toews or GIrard are traded for picks n prospects next off season.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
On that line of thinking I’m wondering if the Avs plan to sign anyone w/ remaining cap for more than a year. If we presume EJ‘s salary goes to re-up Mackinnon and if Newhook and/or Bryan have solid or great seasons they will probably need at least 5-6 million to sign both. Wouldn’t surprise me if for sure Toews or GIrard are traded for picks n prospects next off season.
If Byram and Newhook have great seasons, we’re probably looking at 10m minimum.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
:thumbd:

AxO8uiP.png

EVs5fVp.png

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
After Huberdeau saying that he was expecting to hear from Florida about re-signing and never did makes this a bit more confusing from Florida’s perspective. Would’ve they not wanted to have a rough ballpark or idea before trading him?
Before trading him or before trading for him?

Huberdeau will be 30 and Tkachuk is 24, it's easy to figure out which one you want to re-up for 7-8 years from Florida's perspective. Don't even need to ask Huberdeau what he wants (which will be north of 8.5M anyway).

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Before trading him or before trading for him?

Huberdeau will be 30 and Tkachuk is 24, it's easy to figure out which one you want to re-up for 7-8 years from Florida's perspective. Don't even need to ask Huberdeau what he wants (which will be north of 8.5M anyway).

Before trading him.

Not sure why people say 30 and 24. Huberdeau just turned 29 and Tkachuk is turning 25 in December. It's a 4 year age gap, not 6. This would be like us jettisoning Landy for the next shiny new toy because he's a few years older than Mack. Also not sure why 8.5M matters, Tkachuk signed a 9.5M contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chiarelli

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Not sure why people say 30 and 24. Huberdeau just turned 29 and Tkachuk is turning 25 in December. It's a 4 year age gap, not 6. This would be like us jettisoning Landy for the next shiny new toy because he's a few years older than Mack.
The same people were blasting Calgary for losing Gaudreau. He's a year younger than Huberdeau.

Reactions: Chiarelli

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Before trading him.

Not sure why people say 30 and 24. Huberdeau just turned 29 and Tkachuk is turning 25 in December. It's a 4 year age gap, not 6. This would be like us jettisoning Landy for the next shiny new toy because he's a few years older than Mack. Also not sure why 8.5M matters, Tkachuk signed a 9.5M contract.
I think what people are talking about are contract ages. If you assume 8 year contracts, you’re paying Tkachuk from age 24-32.
For Huberdeau, his new contract would only start next offseason, when he’s already 30, paying him from 30-38. Prime vs decline…in theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad