Free Agency and Trades Thread: Post deadline wasteland

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He projects to be a grinding two-way forward, with a good shot, who can move up and down your lineup, and play a multitude of roles.

That's all that matters. He may benefit from playing on a line with better offensive playets than he is (think Komarov a few years back), but he won't be leaned on offensively.

I just think of him as a 3rd wheel type on the top 2 lines, probably going to be a very good 3rd liner if he was kept there though.

Also RE: Cap of 78-82 million, I feel like has to depend on how much cap escalator the players opt for? Max inflation = $82M ? 50% = $80M? Last summer players weren't crazy about the escrow so they only went 50%, i'd assume an $80M cap for next year.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
We should get Mascherin. We could use a goal scoring winger in the system. 2018 3rd and maybe a late pick may do it.

Local kid, could be a steal. They traded for Hyman when he refused to sign in Florida ....

According to Craig Custance of The Athletic, 2016 second-round pick Adam Mascherin has informed the Florida Panthers he will not sign with the team, allowing him to re-enter the draft in June.
Custance reports Panthers general manager is now trying to trade the rights to the 19-year-old in order to get a return on his draft selection. The deadline for a team to sign Mascherin before he he becomes eligible to re-enter the draft is June 1.
Mascherin, selected 38th overall in the 2016 draft, has 40 goals and 86 points in 67 games this season with the OHL's Kitchener Rangers. He sits ninth in the OHL in points and seventh in goals this season.
A native of Maple, ON., Mascherin ranked third in the OHL in scoring last season with 35 goals and 100 points in 65 games.
He was named to Canada's world juniors summer roster last June, but failed to make the team for the 2018 tournament.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm not sure we need to chase down a winger prospect like Mascherin but if the price makes sense, you'd be crazy not to acquire that kind of young player for a low price.

It's pretty rare a CHL player refuses to sign with an ELC though. He must really not like what he saw in Florida or something. Considering he's a GTA young player, you have to think the Leafs are on his radar for sure.

Maybe a prospect like Dzierkals would make sense. Or perhaps giving up one of our 4th round picks in 2019? I'm not sure I go much higher than that.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'm not sure we need to chase down a winger prospect like Mascherin but if the price makes sense, you'd be crazy not to acquire that kind of young player for a low price.

It's pretty rare a CHL player refuses to sign with an ELC though. He must really not like what he saw in Florida or something. Considering he's a GTA young player, you have to think the Leafs are on his radar for sure.

Maybe a prospect like Dzierkals would make sense. Or perhaps giving up one of our 4th round picks in 2019?

Florida Panthers: Taking a look at the Adam Mascherin situation

Mascherin says he hasn’t heard from the Panthers since May. Doesn’t know what’s happened with hurricane, what’s happening with camp.

Maybe they didn't want him or he felt neglected ... seems self inflicted by Panthers.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Florida Panthers: Taking a look at the Adam Mascherin situation

Maybe they didn't want him or he felt neglected ... seems self inflicted by Panthers.

And then you hear from all the Toronto prospects that say the Leafs show up frequently to games and practices to follow up and talk with them. Middleton recently spoke about Robidas and I think Pellerin showing up a few times this season to check up on him. It's refreshing to hear.

Bracco played with Mascherin in 2015 and 2016 before he got traded to Windsor and won the Memorial Cup... maybe they kept in touch?

EDIT: Found the snippet from Middleton

Q: You were drafted in 2015, in what was seen as the first of the ‘new era’ for the Maple Leafs. How has it been working with the team on your development?
A: They’re always coming to games, Stephane Robidas and Scott Powers, watching video and giving me tips and ways to make my game better. The development staff is great, they’re the best I’ve ever worked with.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
And then you hear from all the Toronto prospects that say the Leafs show up frequently to games and practices to follow up and talk with them. Middleton recently spoke about Robidas and I think Pellerin showing up a few times this season to check up on him. It's refreshing to hear.

Bracco played with Mascherin in 2015 and 2016 before he got traded to Windsor and won the Memorial Cup... maybe they kept in touch?

EDIT: Found the snippet from Middleton

He was a 2nd. round pick so no compensation to the Panthers if he goes back in the draft.

He's what 5'9", ~190 lbs.?

So the question is who would he be willing to sign with, and who is willing to up the bid? I'm guessing he has to sign a contract that kicks in before July 1st., Leafs have 2 slots available. Wonder if they'd take someone like Gauthier or the rights to Marincin?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He was a 2nd. round pick so no compensation to the Panthers if he goes back in the draft.

He's what 5'9", ~190 lbs.?

So the question is who would he be willing to sign with, and who is willing to up the bid? I'm guessing he has to sign a contract that kicks in before July 1st., Leafs have 2 slots available. Wonder if they'd take someone like Gauthier or the rights to Marincin?

I don't think the Leafs would give up Gauthier for Mascherin though. They'd give up a long-shot prospect or a mid round pick at best if they would have any interest.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I don't think the Leafs would give up Gauthier for Mascherin though. They'd give up a long-shot prospect or a mid round pick at best if they would have any interest.

Who do the Leafs have to sign or lose?
Can the contract take effect next season, or do they have to be signed to a contract that takes effect before June 1st. counting against current season? But it can slide right?
Would the Panthers take a long-shot, unsigned prospect for him?
So CHL players from his draft year have to be signed, Leafs already have some of those to be signed correct?

Now if the Leafs had some college players who still held value the Panthers might .. okay with their history maybe not?
So since he is probably a long-shot himself, would he have more interest in playing in the minors close to home?

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Can the contract take effect next season, or do they have to be signed to a contract that takes effect before June 1st. counting against current season? But it can slide right?
So CHL players from his draft year have to be signed, Leafs already have some of those to be signed correct?

Now if the Leafs had some college players who still held value the Panthers might .. okay with their history maybe not?
So since he is probably a long-shot himself, would he have more interest in playing in the minors close to home?

Leafs have history with Panthers with unsigned prospects prior to being put back in the draft. Hyman worked out well for the Leafs!!!! And we gave up McKegg for him who at the time was a second/third tier prospect.

Can see a deal being worked out between the two teams once again.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

The Leafs have to sign Middleton and Mattinen in the same deadline as the Panthers with Mascherin, as well as Vesey before August.

I'm not sure what the Panthers want or can get to be perfectly honest. I would depend on the interest I suppose. Oilers just gave up a 3rd in 2019 for a fairly unknown prospect but his rights are not expiring anytime soon so it's different. Leafs gave up a depth prospect in McKegg for Hyman a couple years ago.

Leafs have a lot of wingers in the NHL and AHL though, and a couple coming up very soon, so our interest in Mascherin isn't probably as high as other teams.

I'd say Dzierkals, Moore, Vesey, Greenway or a mid round pick in 2019 would be about as high as the Leafs go in terms of price.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The Leafs have to sign Middleton and Mattinen in the same deadline as the Panthers with Mascherin, as well as Vesey before August.

I'm not sure what the Panthers want or can get to be perfectly honest. I would depend on the interest I suppose. Oilers just gave up a 3rd in 2019 for a fairly unknown prospect but his rights are not expiring anytime soon so it's different. Leafs gave up a depth prospect in McKegg for Hyman a couple years ago.

Leafs have a lot of wingers in the NHL and AHL though, and a couple coming up very soon, so our interest in Mascherin isn't probably as high as other teams.

I'd say Dzierkals, Moore, Vesey, Greenway or a mid round pick in 2019 would be about as high as the Leafs get in terms of price.

Panthers want to recoup some of their loss. He is worth more than a 4th IMO. A late 2nd should be more than enough to get it done.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Panthers want to recoup some of their loss. He is worth more than a 4th IMO. A late 2nd should be more than enough to get it done.

If a team is willing to pay that then sure. I wouldn't and I seriously doubt the Leafs will. It's all about what you'd be willing to pay.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'd toss a couple of prospects at Florida, but not sure I would give up anything super great for him.

Maybe Leivo/Carrick one for one or make it Gauthier + Dzierkals for him? Depends how dire it gets. He'd be a top 10 prospect for us, but I'd value him like someone like Leipsic. Good, but not amazing value.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

I would rather take a chance on the guys in the late 2nd than him. He's a small winger whose production took a hit last year. We can give them 3rd round value through using prospects like Gauthier, Dzierkals, etc. but otherwise I am sure someone else would have to outbid us or we will just let him re-enter the draft.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I'd toss a couple of prospects at Florida, but not sure I would give up anything super great for him.

Maybe Leivo/Carrick one for one or make it Gauthier + Dzierkals for him? Depends how dire it gets. He'd be a top 10 prospect for us, but I'd value him like someone like Leipsic. Good, but not amazing value.

I don't think he would cost anything close to a player off an NHL roster, but the idea of recycling players like Leivo/Carrick/Goat does make a lot of sense with the youth in their lineup and an expansion draft coming soon.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Basically getting something, for nothing... who could complain?

I would do it as long as this prospect is better then the pick we can acquire with another team! Still think JVR can be traded for a 3rd Rnd pick when it has to do with negotiation rights. Is this prospect better then what we can possibly get in the 3rd round in this draft? That's the question.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Has the rights to pending July 1st UFA been traded for anything since the interview period was introduced?

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
i'd be willing to part with our 2019 3rd for Mascherin. We need some cheap talented entry-level players to play on the wing when tavares signs here, am i right??? :naughty:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Unless that expiring large cap hit player is still a quality player, than no thanks.

Besides, if the Leafs have extra cap room, it’s better used on the bonus carry over to free up space for the additional year.

Though they potentially have enough room to do both.

Leafs look to be in a unique opportunity having tbjs much capspace before things get much tighter. It would just seem a waste to keep all of it open for the season. Honestly, I wouldn’t care if they brought on a 1 year contract cap dump if they got a 1st or good prospect with it.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Leafs look to be in a unique opportunity having tbjs much capspace before things get much tighter. It would just seem a waste to keep all of it open for the season. Honestly, I wouldn’t care if they brought on a 1 year contract cap dump if they got a 1st or good prospect with it.

They should be using the cap space we have to get the bonuses out of the way, and the rest should be used to improve the club. If one of these expiring large cap deals actually improve our team, than it's unlikely any other team would be willing to give up a 1st or good prospect, and it would be us giving up the assets.

Also, by my looks, the players with 3+ in cap space either; would cost us significant assets, or wouldn't help us at all Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017

Very good opinion. Would be a great way to continue stock piling youth and contend simultaneously. Not to mention maybe we get a 1 year salary dump that can actually help the team in the short term. Vet dman of some sort maybe?

Reactions: Menzinger

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Adam Mascherin isn't signing with Florida, which drafted him, so I think the leafs should think about using a 3rd to trade for him so they can reunite Mascherin-Bracco.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad