Post-Game Talk: Free Agency 2023 "OH NO FOMO season"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Crazy theory on my part: we didnt trade duchene with retention because we were saving the spot for something like this. Instead we opted to buy duchene out.
I'm missing something. The Sharks are in the same cap situation as we are +/-$2M. So why do they need help with retaining on Karlsson? Are they planning on spending another $18M in cap? On whom?

The Sharks are in a clear scorched earth sort of rebuild at the moment. They should be selling cap space themselves since their goal is to tank for high picks.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'm missing something. The Sharks are in the same cap situation as we are +/-$2M. So why do they need help with retaining on Karlsson? Are they planning on spending another $18M in cap? On whom?

The Sharks are in a clear scorched earth sort of rebuild at the moment. They should be selling cap space themselves since their goal is to tank for high picks.
Part of the problem might be that it's 4 years? But the main thing is probably just the GM already made a declaration publicly that he wouldn't do that level of retention, so he's probably just stubbornly sticking to his guns. :dunno:

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Part of the problem might be that it's 4 years? But the main thing is probably just the GM already made a declaration publicly that he wouldn't do that level of retention, so he's probably just stubbornly sticking to his guns. :dunno:
Thanks, Porter.

I don't see Trotz burning his last retention on a big pyrotechnics show move like this. We'd be the only team with 0 retention slots if he did this and be setting ourselves up for a tank job under a straightjacket cap situation, which would start preventing us from signing our own.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Thanks, Porter.

I don't see Trotz burning his last retention on a big pyrotechnics show move like this. We'd be the only team with 0 retention slots if he did this and be setting ourselves up for a tank job under a straightjacket cap situation, which would start preventing us from signing our own.
I guess I wouldn't necessarily cap what Trotz might do... he has surprised at most turns, and I do feel like he is sincerely interested in Pesce. He pretty clearly has a picture in his head of what constitutes a successful NHL defense corps, and players like McDonagh, Schenn, and Pesce would be very attractive to him in that sense.

Just, yikes, if we retained $3M on Karlsson for 4 years and then had to pay Pesce like $7M to extend him, that is a very very steep payout to achieve that fantasy defense corps. To me, I'd really have to get a sweet sweet trade scenario to go down that path.

Still, I wouldn't put it past Trotz. He is making "hard decisions" already with Johansen/Duchene (and the TDL stuff) to attain his dream lineup. :dunno:

Reactions: Kat Predator

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I guess I wouldn't necessarily cap what Trotz might do... he has surprised at most turns, and I do feel like he is sincerely interested in Pesce. He pretty clearly has a picture in his head of what constitutes a successful NHL defense corps, and players like McDonagh, Schenn, and Pesce would be very attractive to him in that sense.

Just, yikes, if we retained $3M on Karlsson for 4 years and then had to pay Pesce like $7M to extend him, that is a very very steep payout to achieve that fantasy defense corps. To me, I'd really have to get a sweet sweet trade scenario to go down that path.

Still, I wouldn't put it past Trotz. He is making "hard decisions" already with Johansen/Duchene (and the TDL stuff) to attain his dream lineup. :dunno:
Well and the owners may have turned over a new leaf but you are already having them pay 10+ million per season for guys that won't be playing for the team. Are they going to be real happy about having another 4 million slapped on that pile?

Reactions: hockey diva

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Well and the owners may have turned over a new leaf but you are already having them pay 10+ million per season for guys that won't be playing for the team. Are they going to be real happy about having another 4 million slapped on that pile?
I wouldn't be happy about it if I was an owner, but we're already kind of getting the sense that our reticence in the past was probably more about Poile's own philosophies than about what the owners thought? The current ownership group anyway seems more and more like they'd just be willing to fully delegate all responsibility on that front to the GM? :dunno:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I wouldn't be happy about it if I was an owner, but we're already kind of getting the sense that our reticence in the past was probably more about Poile's own philosophies than about what the owners thought? The current ownership group anyway seems more and more like they'd just be willing to fully delegate all responsibility on that front to the GM? :dunno:
Even so as a GM I'd probably have my own line in the sand. Not to mention that's already a big chunk of dead cap space for several years.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

What if the trade basically came down to carrier + retention?

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Crazy theory on my part: we didnt trade duchene with retention because we were saving the spot for something like this. Instead we opted to buy duchene out.

Way i see it. Pesce > both (fabbro might take large steps forward and catch up at some point). So pesce replaces fabbro, barrie holds the spot til deadline replacing carrier and is replaced by livingstone, schenn is there to float up to 2nd pair if needed
There is a tipping point when it comes to dead cap. Right now the team is tying up at least 44% of the floor to cap range with dead money for the next three seasons. Taking on another $2mil in dead cap ties up about 69% of that range next season. That means the team becomes a close to floor team when it comes to spending on its own talent ... the Preds are a $66mil roster right now with another $8.8 going to buy outs and retentions.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
There is a tipping point when it comes to dead cap. Right now the team is tying up at least 44% of the floor to cap range with dead money for the next three seasons. Taking on another $2mil in dead cap ties up about 69% of that range next season. That means the team becomes a close to floor team when it comes to spending on its own talent ... the Preds are a $66mil roster right now with another $8.8 going to buy outs and retentions.
Probably right. Odds are we wanted to keep some flexibility going forward for retaining cap on expiring contracts like barrie

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
What if the trade basically came down to carrier + retention?
Well, in the BFC scenario where we ALSO got a 1st round pick from Carolina, I would probably be sufficiently mollified to accept it. I mean, we've lamented not "weaponizing" Cap space in the past here before. Pesce is a really tough case to go down this path over, because he's a lot like McDonagh, and that's not an "exciting" kind of player where the payoff stands out quite as much from a pure entertainment perspective.

In the end, I'd probably "reserve judgement" somewhat, but if it obviously paid dividends in terms of us making the playoffs and having a better-than-expected season, I would give Trotz the credit in hindsight. Whereas... if we still missed the playoffs... I mean... :dunno:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think the issue is the retention part, not Carrier.

We would be looking at 15-16 million in dead cap 2 and 3 years from now if I'm half doing my math right.
There's our dead Cap. It would be bad in Year 2 like that, assuming you added in $3M more. Then tapering off somewhat after. But it's really that PLUS the amount Pesce reportedly wants on his next deal, in combination, which is what scares me the most.

I mean, Carolina is a contender. They aren't trading their first-pair RD just for shits and giggles. They legitimately can't stomach the contract he's asking for. That's kind of the scariest part of all to me.

1688830049611.png

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I think the issue is the retention part, not Carrier.

We would be looking at 15-16 million in dead cap 2 and 3 years from now if I'm half doing my math right.
Currently per cap friendly

Turris 2M x 5 years
Ekholm 250K x 3 years
Joey 4M x 2 years
Duchene 2.5M, 5.5M, 6.5M, 1.5M x 3 years

8.8M dead cap this season
11.8M next season
8.8M season after
3.5M x 2 seasons

So we retained 4M, dead cap would be 12.8M, 15.8M, 12.8M, 7.5M, 3.5M

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
There's our dead Cap. It would be bad in Year 2 like that, assuming you added in $3M more. Then tapering off somewhat after. But it's really that PLUS the amount Pesce reportedly wants on his next deal, in combination, which is what scares me the most.

I mean, Carolina is a contender. They aren't trading their first-pair RD just for shits and giggles. They legitimately can't stomach the contract he's asking for. That's kind of the scariest part of all to me.

View attachment 727183
I just don't know enough about him or their cap situation to really know, but I agree its concerning when a contender is looking to move one of the their top D rather than pay him.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Currently per cap friendly

Turris 2M x 5 years
Ekholm 250K x 3 years
Joey 4M x 2 years
Duchene 2.5M, 5.5M, 6.5M, 1.5M x 3 years

8.8M dead cap this season
11.8M next season
8.8M season after
3.5M x 2 seasons

So we retained 4M, dead cap would be 12.8M, 15.8M, 12.8M, 7.5M, 3.5M
Yeah and that's not counting the 7+ million a season you are going to be paying him too.

To me it feels like a win now move, and if that is what we are doing then we really should have been using those millions on players, not air.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Yeah and that's not counting the 7+ million a season you are going to be paying him too.

To me it feels like a win now move, and if that is what we are doing then we really should have been using those millions on players, not air.
I guess you can argue if we extended Pesce for 8 years, then he's around still long after all the Dead Cap has expired. But still. That's a pretty huge commitment to something you have no way of knowing what it will look like in Years 5/6/7/8? :dunno:

EDIT: It gives me kind of a Vlasic vibe. Vlasic was the cats pajamas for a while there. And now he's not. I don't think you want to be stuck with that. :dunno:

Last edited:

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I don't think both Fabbro and Carrier get moved out, I think it will be one or the other. Reason I say that is I think Trotz has every intention of moving Barrie at the trade deadline, playoff position or not.
and you hit the one negative about my idea, all the RHD 'cept for Livingstone are UFAs. My counter-argument is Trotz was shopping both Fabbro and Carrier.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I guess you can argue if we extended Pesce for 8 years, then he's around still long after all the Dead Cap has expired. But still. That's a pretty huge commitment to something you have no way of knowing what it will look like in Years 5/6/7/8? :dunno:

EDIT: It gives me kind of a Vlasic vibe. Vlasic was the cats pajamas for a while there. And now he's not. I don't think you want to be stuck with that. :dunno:
Well part of it is I don't know enough about him, but basically yeah, those late years by the time the kids really get going. I guess you could argue that he basically slides in at McDonagh's role at that point, but I don't really consider his contract all that great for us either so :dunno:

and you hit the one negative about my idea, all the RHD 'cept for Livingstone are UFAs. My counter-argument is Trotz was shopping both Fabbro and Carrier.
Fabbro will still be a RFA and Schenn would still have 2 years left.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
With all this talk about getting Pesce I have no idea what direction trotz is trying to go. If Pesce is what you think this defense needs to compete, then you have to be looking for another forward that helps with that as well. Having an elite defense but borderline meh forwards isn’t gonna win you the cup. I don’t like this move for pesce. I honestly think our defense with saros is already enough to go to the playoffs Adding another forward would help this team go farther when in the playoffs better than adding another defenseman and we can do that with tarasenko or Tatar. We absolutely don’t need to take on anymore retention from another team

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019

View attachment 727183
Exactly. Pesce will want a big contract. If you throw away serious hard cap on Turris, Duchene, Johansen, and Karlsson, AND add a huge contract for Pesce, you're really painting yourself into a cap corner. Maybe it goes up next year, but the NHL hasn't been hitting their revenue targets lately. If it goes up, it is anyone's guess how much. It seems unlikely it's going up 25% or more.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
With all this talk about getting Pesce I have no idea what direction trotz is trying to go. If Pesce is what you think this defense needs to compete, then you have to be looking for another forward that helps with that as well. Having an elite defense but borderline meh forwards isn’t gonna win you the cup. I don’t like this move for pesce. I honestly think our defense with saros is already enough to go to the playoffs Adding another forward would help this team go farther when in the playoffs better than adding another defenseman and we can do that with tarasenko or Tatar. We absolutely don’t need to take on anymore retention from another team
Well and my thought is you already aren't going to be playing the kids on the defense side of things, so does that only apply to the forwards? I mean if anything we should be moving out some Dmen to at least let a guy like Livingstone play. If we get Pesce then I agree, why aren't we just going all in and trying to win cause that is what this move seems to dictate.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I just don't know enough about him or their cap situation to really know, but I agree its concerning when a contender is looking to move one of the their top D rather than pay him.
I think Carolina has a very rigid salary structure that they stick to. They'll spend money, but they keep their spending very objective. It keeps them from throwing $11M/yr at a 30 year old guy for 8 years, but it costs them some turnover in that guys may move on to greener pastures...

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think Carolina has a very rigid salary structure that they stick to. They'll spend money, but they keep their spending very objective. It keeps them from throwing $11M/yr at a 30 year old guy for 8 years, but it costs them some turnover in that guys may move on to greener pastures...
Well and I gotta wonder if that is kind of what Trotz is looking at more or less doing here, considering his statement about long term and retirement contracts. If something like that is the case I can't see us paying him either.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Well and I gotta wonder if that is kind of what Trotz is looking at more or less doing here, considering his statement about long term and retirement contracts. If something like that is the case I can't see us paying him either.
I tend to think it is the smarter play overall. You don't massively overpay for guys and arrive at a Toronto sort of salary structure. You can spend your cap more judiciously and buy a better top to bottom roster to fit your system.

The downside is that your marketing department doesn't have a guy with a name to emblazon on kids' towels, drapes, and sheets. :naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad