Post-Game Talk: Free Agency 2023 "OH NO FOMO season"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Is there a scenario where we are getting Pesce for a price that's fair enough that we trade him for a better return at the deadline? That might be too unrealistic, but if there's only so many teams he agrees to go to that can take on his cap maybe it's possible?

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Good signing with term and aav.

Didnt give up too much a 20g/20a player with 1 year on contract + a late first, a throw in pick and prospect. Not bad at all

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Yeah that's a pretty good contract for Detroit. Basically get the best years of him and then can decide if you want to sign him again or not.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The DeBrincat trade is alright. I don't think we could have been players. We don't have a spare everyday winger like Kubalik. Obviously we could not trade our own 1st in case stuff goes "off the rails". So sure, let Detroit have him. :dunno:

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
It's curious that Detroit gave up a protected 1st though. At the draft, Yzerman was asked about the timeline of his rebuild. His response was to suggest more patience was needed, and he didn't expect to really get it turned around for a while yet.

Then he goes and trades a 1st round pick, He gets a good player, but how does this move map into the slow rebuild?

Olderfan

Jul 3, 2019
The contract is good, dunno about the pieces as to me it really hinges on how Kubalik is. The prospect was in the ECHL so that's meaningless basically.

That said they gave up more than I ever would have.
An every day player, a prospect, a 2024 first round pick and a 2024 4th round pick? Maybe ok for Detroit but way too much for the Preds. Best “No Deal” for Preds I’ve seen. I mean that’s like 4 players! Nope, good job Trotz.

Reactions: hido

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I'm not big into figuring out trade value and what players are "worth" but for me the cost here doesn't make sense for the Preds. Not sure which roster player there is for the Preds to give up that isn't a young prospect that we are still guessing at what they'll become. The throw in ECHL prospect is easy to cover but the 1st and 4th next draft would sting a good bit, especially since that I more of a "win now" type mode and that's not where this team is.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
1688999796362.png
If I am looking and adding correctly the Duchene buyout is $19Million and not $16Million that some are saying. If so then that is/was an absurd buyout to save $5M and get rid of the 2nd or 3rd best points player on the team. Sorry to beat a dead horse.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
If I am looking and adding correctly the Duchene buyout is $19Million and not $16Million that some are saying. If so then that is/was an absurd buyout to save $5M and get rid of the 2nd or 3rd best points player on the team. Sorry to beat a dead horse.
It wasn't about saving money. Duchene would have been gone no matter what the numbers said.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
I'm still not really sure the buyout was the right move. Sign ROR for leadership, nix the Nyquist signing, allow Duchene to do his thing without pressure to be a leader for the kids. That makes more sense to me. But who knows what was going on behind the scenes that we aren't privy to.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville

I'm still not really sure the buyout was the right move. Sign ROR for leadership, nix the Nyquist signing, allow Duchene to do his thing without pressure to be a leader for the kids. That makes more sense to me. But who knows what was going on behind the scenes that we aren't privy to.
It is possible that he's a horrible role model without being "a bad guy". People should probably stop looking for other reasons or justifications for the move. Trotz clearly didn't want the guy around, talent or no talent, points or no points, he's said as much.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The actual payout is less than the Cap hit. Duchene was still owed $20M. But $6M of that was in signing bonuses. So he gets the $6M regardless. Then he gets paid 2/3rds of the remaining $14M, or $9.338M spread over 6 years (i.e. $1.5556M per year).

So the cost of the buyout was $6M+9.338M = $15.338M.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I'm not big into figuring out trade value and what players are "worth" but for me the cost here doesn't make sense for the Preds. Not sure which roster player there is for the Preds to give up that isn't a young prospect that we are still guessing at what they'll become. The throw in ECHL prospect is easy to cover but the 1st and 4th next draft would sting a good bit, especially since that I more of a "win now" type mode and that's not where this team is.

We don't have a player like Kubalik on our roster now so that very well may have made no deal possible. Value wise I'd say he's on the order of Carrier maybe? The 1st is the worse of Detroit or Boston's next year plus some other considerations so from our perspective it would be like trading Tampa's pick. So for us to have pulled it off it would have been something like Tampa's 1st, Carrier, a 4th, and Prokop. Personally I would do something like that but I can see where others wouldn't want to. Plus, the particulars of the deal (Kubalik vs. Carrier; 1st in 2024 vs 1st in 2025) means that we might have gotten beaten out anyways.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Best way to explain the Duchene buy out.

Some people are great at their jobs. Some people move into a management role and are great at it, others not so much. I view Duchene as a person who’s able to do their job and not lead people whereas ROR is able to do the job and also lead his team.

Fair assessment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad